Anyone else getting poo tread life on their tuned CVT L15B7?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took my summer tires off last weekend. Been COVIDling for close to 9 months now, so it's not like I got a legit season of use out of my summer tires. I forget the exact counts, but I have like 2-4 32nds left across all four of my PS4S. I didn't even go to the drag strip this year, so it's more like that's what is left after a healthy season of use. I can't reason over $800 to replace with the same for just another year and change from a new set.

I'm looking at Cup-2s or Eagle SC3s for summer 2021. I didn't have ethanol last year, so I imagine if 2020 had seen a full driving season I would have worn the PS4S to wear strips before summer had ended.
Sponsored

ZHFK7

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic HB Sport touring
Country flag
I took my summer tires off last weekend. Been COVIDling for close to 9 months now, so it's not like I got a legit season of use out of my summer tires. I forget the exact counts, but I have like 2-4 32nds left across all four of my PS4S. I didn't even go to the drag strip this year, so it's more like that's what is left after a healthy season of use. I can't reason over $800 to replace with the same for just another year and change from a new set.

I'm looking at Cup-2s or Eagle SC3s for summer 2021. I didn't have ethanol last year, so I imagine if 2020 had seen a full driving season I would have worn the PS4S to wear strips before summer had ended.
Sounds like you need an alignment

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you need an alignment
I just packed the tires away for winter and had an up-close look at them. I think my last tire choice and driving habits weren't aligned. I should also note that the factory conti pros were worn down, despite having winter tires on, in about a year and a half. I'll throw in blame on local gov't for the crummy roads around me too.
I don't think it's tire alignment bc the wear is consistent. It's clear which tires just came off the front v back (mo powa their 2nd season). Not much difference aside from that. I haven't had a collision or touched the suspension. So, calling 2020 a dud, it is startling to have little of the sipes left and the ribs looking plain after so little time on the calendar.

Can anyone speak to how well Cup-2s or Eagle SC3s handle wet roads? Not sure I want to trade the insane confidence I had on the PS4S for rearranging my schedule to avoid driving in weather.

Anyone else running through PS4S? I do like how they have maintained a fair amount of what made them great when new, and have always been consistent and predictable even at the limit.
The stock Contis I would ruin in a summer on my tune.
I whomp on the Riken Raptor ZRs I have on currently; they take it, and let go nicely when I want (honking when passing someone who starts turning without a signal is so passé). Feels like I have more power when I can make slip in my lowest on-the-fly tune. They're undervalued tires IMO. There's a lot of performance to squeeze out of them.

ZHFK7

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic HB Sport touring
Country flag
I just packed the tires away for winter and had an up-close look at them. I think my last tire choice and driving habits weren't aligned. I should also note that the factory conti pros were worn down, despite having winter tires on, in about a year and a half. I'll throw in blame on local gov't for the crummy roads around me too.
I don't think it's tire alignment bc the wear is consistent. It's clear which tires just came off the front v back (mo powa their 2nd season). Not much difference aside from that. I haven't had a collision or touched the suspension. So, calling 2020 a dud, it is startling to have little of the sipes left and the ribs looking plain after so little time on the calendar.

Can anyone speak to how well Cup-2s or Eagle SC3s handle wet roads? Not sure I want to trade the insane confidence I had on the PS4S for rearranging my schedule to avoid driving in weather.

Anyone else running through PS4S? I do like how they have maintained a fair amount of what made them great when new, and have always been consistent and predictable even at the limit.
The stock Contis I would ruin in a summer on my tune.
I whomp on the Riken Raptor ZRs I have on currently; they take it, and let go nicely when I want (honking when passing someone who starts turning without a signal is so passé). Feels like I have more power when I can make slip in my lowest on-the-fly tune. They're undervalued tires IMO. There's a lot of performance to squeeze out of them.
The stock conti’s wear terribly. Maybe consider toyo proxes 4plus or michelin pilot sport a/s tires, phenomenal grip and great wear life

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The stock conti’s wear terribly. Maybe consider toyo proxes 4plus or michelin pilot sport a/s tires, phenomenal grip and great wear life
I'm only looking for summer tires.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
How many miles did you put on the PS4S tires? They don’t last as long as an all season normally does.

Also, are you really making so much power with your CVT HB civic that you need to spend so much money on such prestigious summer tires like Cup 2s? Those tires last like 10-20k miles and are mostly intended for track use.

There are some great all-season tires out there that don’t cost 1000$ mounted. What if you get caught in a bad rainstorm?

I don’t mean to sound rude. I love good fresh rubber as much as anybody. But these are commuter cars meant for piling on the miles, not 200,000$ track weapons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How many miles did you put on the PS4S tires? They don’t last as long as an all season normally does.

Also, are you really making so much power with your CVT HB civic that you need to spend so much money on such prestigious summer tires like Cup 2s? Those tires last like 10-20k miles and are mostly intended for track use.

There are some great all-season tires out there that don’t cost 1000$ mounted. What if you get caught in a bad rainstorm?

I don’t mean to sound rude. I love good fresh rubber as much as anybody. But these are commuter cars meant for piling on the miles, not 200,000$ track weapons.
I hear ya. I don't know how many miles the PS4S had, but I'd guess 8-12k. I have A/S on the factory wheels for the transition months in and out of winter. Last year there wasn't winter so they stated on until April/May.

I won't pay more than I did for the PS4S unless the tread lasts longer for roughly same performance or better.

Idk how much power I can make. I just know I want to be able to mash the peddle from a stop and not have the tires break. I've got ample supply on the power side of power vs slip, and I don't want to have to tune BBG to the tires heavily.

I'm thinking if I get a season or two out of summer tires I can see about selling what's left after. It's not all that material, but I have a coupe.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
What is your wheel and tire size setup? Maybe your setup is hurting the tread life.