R-00123

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 type r fk8
Country flag
Hello all, I'm not finding much discussion anywhere about spark knock with our fk8's.

Let me clarify, its spark knock so noticeable that you can hear it (described as marbles in a tin can) as well as feel the engine struggling to make smooth power and it doesn't seem like the ECU is doing anything to mitigate it when it happens. (91 octane always, 93 when I can find it)
No CeL's either. And it always appears that it wont stop happening unless you get your foot out of the throttle.

When I first noticed it I looked into why it happened and determined it was my causing.
(3rd gear, ~20mph, slight incline, and at least 75% throttle. Also a/c on which may or may not contribute to the problem.)

Since then I learned the small turbo engine rule of no WOT unless the rpms are 3k or higher.
Wellllll, this car still does it randomly. Only when it has some type of load, but not nearly as bad as the first time.
Example; 2nd gear, 30mph, quick to 75% throttle and eased into 100%, with knock happening shortly before reaching 100% throttle. (Rpms were well over 3k, probably closer to 4k)

I do live in the desert of tucson, az. But the heat doesn't seem to be a factor. When ever it happens it can be 110°F or 55°F like the weather we are starting to have at night now.

I know spark knock is not as bad as pre-ignition, but should these cars even be having this problem? Or is it just me? Is this commonsense and I'm just too spirited with my spirited driving?

Also I'm at 8,500miles. First time it happened was I believe around 2,000 miles.
When it first happened no mods what so ever, and now current performance related mods are a mishimoto intake, and remus exhaust.
Sponsored

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
the first thing i must ask is are you sure your not just hearing the injectors clicking? the injectors on our direct injection vehicles are very noisy, much more so then conventional port injection systems. i have to ask to rule it out. (focusing on the noise complaint)

my second guess is possibly valves slightly out of adjustment spec. there is one posting on the honda techline forum titled "piston slap type noise" and in his case he found loose intake valves on cylinders #2 and #3 to be the source of the noise. confirming that adjusting them to the proper spec got rid of his noise. just chiming in, always interested to see new complaints

OP
OP
R-00123

R-00123

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 type r fk8
Country flag
the first thing i must ask is are you sure your not just hearing the injectors clicking? the injectors on our direct injection vehicles are very noisy, much more so then conventional port injection systems. i have to ask to rule it out. (focusing on the noise complaint)

my second guess is possibly valves slightly out of adjustment spec. there is one posting on the honda techline forum titled "piston slap type noise" and in his case he found loose intake valves on cylinders #2 and #3 to be the source of the noise. confirming that adjusting them to the proper spec got rid of his noise. just chiming in, always interested to see new complaints
Unless the injectors get louder under load then its definitely not them. And yes they are loud but still not as loud as the ones on my 98 integra (Jdm B18C SiR-G)

Also dont think it would be valve's as it only happens under load. (It's as if the engine was naturally aspirated and overheating and couldn't handle any more than 20% throttle under load. Which is a perfect environment for spark knock.)
The previously mentioned integra had spark knock with a chipped obd1 ECU on really hot days. But again only when really hot out side and in a load situation. But with the stock obd2 ECU I dont think I've ever experienced spark knock with it.

I'll take a look at the thread you mentioned to see if any of it coincides with my experience.

Edit: also injectors getting louder or slight piston slap under load wouldn't cause the "lack/stumble in power" it feels as if it's carbureted and starving for air/fuel, but in this case its fighting against "incorrect timing" caused by the randomness of spark knock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R-00123

R-00123

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 type r fk8
Country flag
I'm almost 100% certain that its spark knock/ knock/ detonation/ ping.

I just dont see why a car that's brand new would have this issue, not saying that it should not happen at all, but the ECU should be detecting it and mitigating it to keep it from happening. Or do I have a bad knock sensor?

peterdawolf

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #16318, 1995 M3 S/C in a 1994 325i
I'm almost 100% certain that its spark knock/ knock/ detonation/ ping.

I just dont see why a car that's brand new would have this issue, not saying that it should not happen at all, but the ECU should be detecting it and mitigating it to keep it from happening. Or do I have a bad knock sensor?
I'd reverse the mods and take it into the dealer. Left unchecked, there's a fair chance you will cause damage.. and the damage is pretty much "go buy a short block" :D
Sponsored