Anyone able to tell me what type of paint damage this is? (2016 EX-T)

One-Ton-Soup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Just bought the car new for over 2 weeks and already have damage on it -_-. I think it was probably from small rocks hitting it while I was driving. Anyone able to give me some insight as to what type of damage this is? Is this something that's easy and fixable by myself or should I take this to my dealership or detailer to have it taken care of?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe and 2011 CR-Z
Country flag
Just bought the car new for over 2 weeks and already have damage on it -_-. I think it was probably from small rocks hitting it while I was driving. Anyone able to give me some insight as to what type of damage this is? Is this something that's easy and fixable by myself or should I take this to my dealership or detailer to have it taken care of?

View attachment 17845
Yeah, looks like paint damage from rocks hitting it.

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't think it's that bad, but I personally wouldn't fit it myself I'm horrible with touch-up paint. My daily driver has a ton of rock chips from commuting to work, that's why I got a car bra for the civic.

OP
OP

One-Ton-Soup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Don't think it's that bad, but I personally wouldn't fit it myself I'm horrible with touch-up paint. My daily driver has a ton of rock chips from commuting to work, that's why I got a car bra for the civic.
I have 0 knowledge about car detailing, any idea if a professional detailer could reapply a layer of clear coat over this? Good idea getting the car bra.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2 cents: In 17k of driving (mainly highway), I've noticed a good number of paint chips, hairline scratches, etc. on the front end, a few on the doors, and the odd on on the hood. I'm just gonna pay to get the car refinished in a few years...you'll quickly get over having only one paint imperfection on this car. Paint's thin.

OP
OP

One-Ton-Soup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
My 2 cents: In 17k of driving (mainly highway), I've noticed a good number of paint chips, hairline scratches, etc. on the front end, a few on the doors, and the odd on on the hood. I'm just gonna pay to get the car refinished in a few years...you'll quickly get over having only one paint imperfection on this car. Paint's thin.
Haha no avoiding it huh -- just afraid if the metal is exposed, it'll rust.

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Clear car bra would help, but if you have the same luck I have you would get rock chip slightly above it LOL

dudeitsdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Country flag
Doesn't look like the metal's exposed, so I think you're okay with the rust bit. If you're looking for a simple fix, try Dr. Colorchip. Easy to use, good match to color, and you'll have some on hand for future chips.

OP
OP

One-Ton-Soup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Probably just going to get a professional to fix it and also get the car detailed. Might consider getting a 3M wrap done. That should last me a few years.

Do most people get their cars detailed after a few weeks of purchase? What's a good price for professional detailing and 3M wrap nowadays?

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doesn't look like the metal's exposed, so I think you're okay with the rust bit. If you're looking for a simple fix, try Dr. Colorchip. Easy to use, good match to color, and you'll have some on hand for future chips.
I just ordered a kit from the Doc and awaiting its arrival. Have you used them before? Happy with the results?

dudeitsdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Country flag
Probably just going to get a professional to fix it and also get the car detailed. Might consider getting a 3M wrap done. That should last me a few years.

Do most people get their cars detailed after a few weeks of purchase? What's a good price for professional detailing and 3M wrap nowadays?
I think a detail that early is a bit overkill. A detailer also wouldn't be able to handle a paint chip...yiud have to go to a body shop to touch it up for you.

I just ordered a kit from the Doc and awaiting its arrival. Have you used them before? Happy with the results?
First time using Dr. Colorchip and I've been really pleased withthe results. I had a deep metal chip and after touching it up, you'd be hard pressed to find it. You can still see the indentation from the chip, but a couple more passes should fill it flush.

The color they sent me didn't match perfectly, and when j brought it up they expressed shipped another bottle for me to mix it up. Came out great.

Steelman2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic touring
Leave it like it is. Touch up paint looks worse then the chip. I promise you that it won't be the last one you get. Honda paint is very easy to scratch and chip.

monsterj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Honestly, doesn't seem worth the time. Not saying it isn't painful to see. Detailer may use touch up followed by clear touchup followed by a light wet sand and buff. I used to do it all the time at the Acura dealer I detailed for. Problem is paint has to be built up gradually and clear applied. Good paint around chip is affected by the sanding. Also chip is awfully close to edge where paint is thinnest. My 2 cents get a OEM touchup apply with pin until exposure is filled in. Let it dry and try to forget it's not perfect there. Dont rush the touch up process and please don't use a brush if included. I hate the brushes they're too big...it's obnoxious.

OP
OP

One-Ton-Soup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Took your advice and looked up the Dr. Colorchip; don't have it my color (B593M)

Probably a better idea to just buy the OEM touch-up at a Honda dealership and just have someone fix it since I don't trust myself with touch-up paint.
Sponsored

Last edited: