Anybody thinking about swapping hubs to achieve 5x114.3?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I know this may not be a mechanically sound idea...but then again, the 8th gen Civics 'survived' on well over 400hp with 5x114.3.
I'm not sure how the TypeR goes together, but on previous cars, you just stripped down to the bare hub, pulled the drive shaft nut, and used a slide hammer or hydraulic press to pop out the hub...you just might have to make your own hubs.

It seems like a cheaper option to greatly expand the wheel offerings...
Sponsored

Midarete

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #4870
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious, not a guru at this. Why not just get some adapters? The CTR is already wider than most cars so even with a 25mm spacer/adapter and a 9.5 width wheel I think it would still be flush.

drtye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FA5 FK8
Country flag
I know this may not be a mechanically sound idea...but then again, the 8th gen Civics 'survived' on well over 400hp with 5x114.3.
I'm not sure how the TypeR goes together, but on previous cars, you just stripped down to the bare hub, pulled the drive shaft nut, and used a slide hammer or hydraulic press to pop out the hub...you just might have to make your own hubs.

It seems like a cheaper option to greatly expand the wheel offerings...
I clearly see what you are trying to do, and to that extent... I completely agree with you on wanting to go to a smaller bolt pattern. The question is, are the hubs interchangeable and if so how does the offset change if so. Personally speaking, as far as i know, Honda went with 5x120 to deter thieves and make the wheels exclusive to only type r vehicles. That being said, I have a set of mugen xj in the black chrome that i would absolutely wish i could put on my R

I see absolutely no reason that power couldn't be put down just fine on a smaller bolt pattern for what its worth

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Word. I don't think it's something I'm going to try personally, but just an idea. No idea how it would impact the car/class for Autocross, but it just might be a way to expand the offerings a bit. Mostly just curious!

Fzdog2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#247 1989 Skyline GTR
Country flag
I clearly see what you are trying to do, and to that extent... I completely agree with you on wanting to go to a smaller bolt pattern. The question is, are the hubs interchangeable and if so how does the offset change if so. Personally speaking, as far as i know, Honda went with 5x120 to deter thieves and make the wheels exclusive to only type r vehicles. That being said, I have a set of mugen xj in the black chrome that i would absolutely wish i could put on my R

I see absolutely no reason that power couldn't be put down just fine on a smaller bolt pattern for what its worth
I believe there is a Honda rule that any car over 274hp is required to be on 5x120.

drtye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FA5 FK8
Country flag
I believe there is a Honda rule that any car over 274hp is required to be on 5x120.
from the manufacturer or an auto x sanctioning body?

because, for example...

J35Z6

• 2010-2014 Acura TSX V-6
  • 2009-2014 Acura TL (Non SH-AWD)
  • Displacement: 3,471 cc (211.8 cu in)
  • Bore and stroke: 89.0 mm (3.5 in) x 93.0 mm (3.7 in)
  • Compression: 11.2:1
  • Power, torque: 280 hp (210 kW) @ 6200 rpm; 254 lb·ft (344 N·m) @ 5000 rpm
  • Valvetrain: 24v SOHC VTEC
  • Fuel control: Multi-point fuel inection; PGM-FI
These cars are 5x114.3

As far as I know the CTR is 120 for 'theft and exclusivity' reasons....

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Word. I don't think it's something I'm going to try personally, but just an idea. No idea how it would impact the car/class for Autocross, but it just might be a way to expand the offerings a bit. Mostly just curious!
For stock class? You pretty much can't change anything besides wheels, tires, and sway bar.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
As far as I know the CTR is 120 for 'theft and exclusivity' reasons....
I think there are engineering reasons. All the "heavy duty" Hondas run 5x120, e.g., Odyssey, TL, 2nd gen NSX, Ridgeline, MDX. I believe they also run M14 studs instead of M12.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
You should not only focus on engine power. Stopping power and cornering forces are also important.

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
for the love of god please let this be a thing. Aren't BMW's 5x120? and don't people steal a lot of BMW wheels?

Also is 5.7mm wider gap between each stud that much worrying about performance wise?

fmoua916

Nothingbettah2do
First Name
Fong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r agean blue
Country flag
for the love of god please let this be a thing. Aren't BMW's 5x120? and don't people steal a lot of BMW wheels?

Also is 5.7mm wider gap between each stud that much worrying about performance wise?
Yeah bmw is 5x120 but most of their rims are stagger or too aggressive offset for the type R

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Yeah bmw is 5x120 but most of their rims are stagger or too aggressive offset for the type R
Only the 1 series rears have similar high offsets.

There really aren’t a lot of options if you want to be close to the stock offset.
Sponsored