Anybody running a Catted Downpipe with FBO and tune?

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey,
I just bought my Type R and I usually plan my mods in advanced. Coming from a FBO TLX, I did not have to worry about emissions because of my previous county, but now I do!
Most of you are running test pipes, but I was wondering what you guys think of the Catted downpipes? Any Dyno numbers? Thanks.
Mods I plan on getting:
PRL High Volume Intake
PRL Inlet Pipe
PRL Intercooler & Charge Pipes
PRL Catted Downpipe & Front pipe combo
Hondata Flashpro
I don't plan on getting an exhaust. Not a fan of what I'm hearing yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sinistah89

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Nice!! Got my questions answered.

OP
OP
Sinistah89

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I chose catted because A) aftermarket exhaust that I chose specifically for low/no drone, B) I live in MO which is not an emissions state, but I unfortunately live in a county that is, C) the power difference isn't enough to probably notice

To me, on my SI I didn't care, went catless and loud and illegal on a few things, but now that I'm on the R and moved, I'm doing things the legal way to bring as little attention to me as possible, the city I live in has quite a few fast/loud cars and police tend to sit on the street looking for reasons to pull them over, so I'd rather not give them one.
Yea im not trying to be loud either, my previous car was loud and i got tired of the drone..i like hearing more engine noises in this car rather than exhaust

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is fbo..
Afe catted and fp..
Hks fmic
Prl HVI and TIP
ARK catback..

Custom tune pushing 370whp, 375 torque.
I am on a conservative tune..

OP
OP
Sinistah89

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Man I can't wait to start modding!! lol, when you say conservative custom tune, you basically told your tuner hey don't do too much?

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
@Sinistah89 yes, just tel them to give you a conservative daily tune. Some guys get a “race” or “send it” files but i opted not to because nothing would stop me from using it daily. Lol.

I would strongly recommend you find a knowledgeable tuner and get his tune whether etune or dyno is not closely relevant as to who tunes it, in my experience.

Lastly if you have access to ethanol thats what would be my first choice for power gains. Not sure how much fbo e30 vs stg1 e30 whp difference we are talking about but sometimes its not worth the hassle and expense either, especially so in a conservative daily tuned car (not pushing the extreme limits).

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ethanol is indeed the biggest bang for buck mod anyone can run. FBOs won't add much until you've got a bigger fuel pump or turbo. A downpipe and flex fuel kit alone can easily get you to 400 whp/tq, whereas full boltons won't get you past 380 on an aggressive tune.

We need more fuel and cooling on this platform, not air.

Find a tuner that knows the Type R. It's completely different from every Honda in the past.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Sinistah89 yes, just tel them to give you a conservative daily tune. Some guys get a “race” or “send it” files but i opted not to because nothing would stop me from using it daily. Lol.

I would strongly recommend you find a knowledgeable tuner and get his tune whether etune or dyno is not closely relevant as to who tunes it, in my experience.

Lastly if you have access to ethanol thats what would be my first choice for power gains. Not sure how much fbo e30 vs stg1 e30 whp difference we are talking about but sometimes its not worth the hassle and expense either, especially so in a conservative daily tuned car (not pushing the extreme limits).

This is exactly what I am looking for, who's your tuner?

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
@Sinistah89 i dont have a tuned CTR so i couldnt help you with a specific tuner. My other remapped/tuned vehicles are an 18wrx and an 18giulia. I just speak from those experiences, so i would suggest you get it down to 2-3 names from forum members/threads/research and then ask the tuner your questions about setups you think vs what they suggest, tuning process and any other questions you may have.

Use the timeliness of their response and quality as a guide of whats to come during the tuning process, right?

If you have instagram or fb i would suggest you follow them there to see what kind of things they do. I dont have either, i just email directly.

My personal advice is keep mods to min, like perhaps intercooler upgrade and tune the car to ethanol, or flex if you dont have consistent e30 dispensary/gas station and must go back and forth (i dont). Maxing out such a setup will put you in conservative (short of max fbo power achievable—as someone else explained too) power range which is what you want for a daily, in my opinion and from my experience.

Also this is a two wheel drive platform so id ask my tuner about boost by gear or torque by gear to prevent excessive slippage in 1-3rd gears at 300whp+ levels. Warranty and other considerations to think about.

OP
OP
Sinistah89

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Eh the FBO is more for just a little increase with cooling, and of course sound...I am not doing exhaust until the future..now with that being said..
I don't know much about "E30" and flex fuel and all of that lol, can someone link me to a part of this forum that can teach me? or a short response in here? If it helps...I have A LOT of gas stations near me that provides E85....I just don't understand the concept..like how do i get E30

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Think of it like this 87, 89, 91, 93, 95, 98, 100.. depending on the blend. It is just a higher octane fuel that is actually cheaper.

Now if you have a gas station which dispenses e30 without having to mix, you just need a single fuel e30 tune. Otherwise a flex kit may come handy cuz it allows you to mix anything between your first fuel tune like 93oct (usually 10% ethanol so e10) and second fuel like e40 for example, whatever youre tuned to. A flex tune is a dual fuel tune allowing for flex sensor to adjust to any blend between 10-finalBlend mix you tune to. I am tuned to 91oct and 50% but i havent run 91oct since tuning, only e50 for 25k miles. Dont plan on running 91oct unless i have too.

fbo is uselesss until youre maxed out on fuel and remap only, first things first. Otherwise youre throwing money away without reaping proper benefits. Personally id just consider the cooler if tuner agrees with it and if necessary for higher boost/cooling. Then at 350-370whp spend the money on pads and tires and fluid and ss lines (are they ss oem on ctr??).
Sponsored

Last edited: