Anybody else get the steering required warning before?

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
It's been popping up frequently for me recently, because I've been driving on just straightaway highways, so all I do is keep the car straight. And I keep get the steering required warning, even though my hands are on the steering wheel. It's just a straight road I'm traveling on for like an hour lol am I supposed to just swerve in my lane on purpose or something?
Sponsored

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I get it quite often but only when the LKAS is on and sensing. Apparently if you are on a straight road and the system doesn't sense much steering wheel movement, it alarms, just a slight twitch of the wheel and it goes away. Hopefully Honda will update the software to make this system less sensitive at some point. I regularly ask my service manager friend about any TSB'S on sensing software or firmware.

consultadrone

First Name
Pittman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
Yup, happens all the time to me. I suspect it's there on purpose as the system is a "driver aid" and not considered an autonomous driving system. So it prompts for driver input every 10 seconds or so if no input is detected. I'm sure many lawyers were involved.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Consultadrone got it right. I only got that message when letting the car drive itself, without trying to steer at all.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
It comes up becuase you haven't put
any input to the steering wheel.

The system does not sense your hands touching or gripping the wheel. But rather if you are actually making the wheel turn, even slightly.

So if you drive with LKAS on and don't ever resist or provide your own input into the steering wheel you will get the warning.

To avoid the warning, just occasionally make the car move to one side of the lane your driving in if it's really straight.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing to be concerned about at all. The above re inputs is spot on.
Sponsored