Any way to turn on backup cam?

ifanaddic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic EX
is it possible to turn on the backup cam other than putting the car in reverse? Lane watch has a dedicated button for it but I havent seen one for the rear camera, which I would use a lot more. (Please don't be a troll, I know i've got a rearview mirror its just not the same angle)
Sponsored

Last edited:

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
I would also like to know because I reverse down a long straight downhill driveway. I only need to be in reverse gear for maybe 10-20 feet, and then I kick it into neutral (6MT) and roll. That allows me to go a bit slower and all I have to do is cover the brake for when I reach the road. But as soon as I go into neutral the camera CUTS OUT. The camera should turn on if the car is moving backwards... that should be easy to sense because... the wheels are rolling the "wrong way"... so turn on the darn camera! :)

geovannie323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T 2014 Honda Accord Sport Mugen
I know there was a way how to do it in the 2014 Honda Accord you have to hold three button and go into the menu and select rear camera

weigle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I would also like to know because I reverse down a long straight downhill driveway. I only need to be in reverse gear for maybe 10-20 feet, and then I kick it into neutral (6MT) and roll. That allows me to go a bit slower and all I have to do is cover the brake for when I reach the road. But as soon as I go into neutral the camera CUTS OUT. The camera should turn on if the car is moving backwards... that should be easy to sense because... the wheels are rolling the "wrong way"... so turn on the darn camera! :)
Why not just push in the clutch, while leaving the trans in reverse? I do it all the time.

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
I found this in another thread. " Hold Audio+Brightness+Menu for 4 seconds." It was said that this gets you into diagnostics mode on the 10thgen civic.
Thanks for this! Also, bumping this thread: do we know of any way to accomplish this other than the diagnostic menu? I use the rear cameras often simply to check to see if I have pulled enough into a parking space. Not having to do the above or shift into reverse to do this would be great.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Thanks for this! Also, bumping this thread: do we know of any way to accomplish this other than the diagnostic menu? I use the rear cameras often simply to check to see if I have pulled enough into a parking space. Not having to do the above or shift into reverse to do this would be great.
The headunit has a wire coming into it that gets +12V when you put the car in reverse so it knows to turn on the backup cam. It would be pretty easy to tap another wire into that wire and run it to a toggle switch that would let you turn on the rear cam whenever you want.

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
Alternatively...

Pop it into reverse while at speed.

That was anticlimactic. I expected his tranny to grind itself to dust.

edit: Couldn't watch on work wifi, but was so curious I got on my own data. I thought it would be catastrophic.

Last edited:

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The headunit has a wire coming into it that gets +12V when you put the car in reverse so it knows to turn on the backup cam. It would be pretty easy to tap another wire into that wire and run it to a toggle switch that would let you turn on the rear cam whenever you want.
Do you know which one it is? I couldn't figure it out from any of the posted pinouts so I ended up running a wire to my rear tail light for my new head unit.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Do you know which one it is? I couldn't figure it out from any of the posted pinouts so I ended up running a wire to my rear tail light for my new head unit.
I found it when I saw this bit in the service manual on diagnosing the problem if your HU isn't switching to the backup cam video when you go into reverse:

Honda Civic 10th gen Any way to turn on backup cam? dia

And here is the diagram for connector C on the headunit, pin 15 arrowed:

Honda Civic 10th gen Any way to turn on backup cam? connector

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Any way to turn on backup cam? WP_20170211_15_27_26_Rich_LI

Don't ask me how this happened- I wasn't even trying: Backed out of my driveway and realized BT was turned off on my phone. After I turned it on the car didn't find my device. I restarted the unit while backing out and then getting going. It still didn't find it, so i turned off the car in neutral at the next light. When i got going again, it started but everything was blank. Then, a top sliver of the display started showing video from the rear camera. When i had to turn right, the whole unit showed video. After when the side view would normally go away, i was left with the whole display showing the backup cam video. None of the buttons responded, and i couldn't get it to restart by holding in the audio power button.

Whatever delay the system has when switching modes to display audio must tie up a lot of resources, and some check for that state of rearview was evaluated late, when i was going forward.

I'm not suggesting this is a way to do it, just that the code the system runs on can do it (during an error, by accident). I'd sure Love the source code for the system! For me, a code change would be preferable to an electrical hack.
Sponsored