Any updates on the lockout issues?

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I ran a search on the forum for this--since I know there are at least two threads for it with quite a few posts--but couldn't find any solutions.

My 2016 Civic EX-T sedan occasionally has an issue where the car will freeze up with the hazards frozen on after closing the trunk, and won't respond to any input from my main or backup key fob, or the manual key inside. This has happened at least 5 times now, and each instance has required waiting 15-30 minutes for it to "unfreeze". On one occasion, I *was* able to use the key to get into the car, but that hasn't worked.

The most recent two instances, one of which occurred before a snowstorm a month ago, had me locked out of my car for two days before our local AAA guys could get to me (they were swamped). The most recent one happened while I was getting ready to head to the laundromat two days ago.

According to my dealership, who are well known in our area for being *very* thorough at all stages of the buying and servicing process, they're not aware of the issue. I'm confident they would help if they could.

Has anyone had any luck convincing either Honda or their dealer to look into this issue? It's the only real lasting problem I've had with the car. Luckily it hasn't stranded me anywhere yet, but its only a matter of time.

TL;DR - Looking for any insight into solving the "lock out" issue. It's well documented on the forum, but I can't find any solutions.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I ran a search on the forum for this--since I know there are at least two threads for it with quite a few posts--but couldn't find any solutions.

My 2016 Civic EX-T sedan occasionally has an issue where the car will freeze up with the hazards frozen on after closing the trunk, and won't respond to any input from my main or backup key fob, or the manual key inside. This has happened at least 5 times now, and each instance has required waiting 15-30 minutes for it to "unfreeze". On one occasion, I *was* able to use the key to get into the car, but that hasn't worked.

The most recent two instances, one of which occurred before a snowstorm a month ago, had me locked out of my car for two days before our local AAA guys could get to me (they were swamped). The most recent one happened while I was getting ready to head to the laundromat two days ago.

According to my dealership, who are well known in our area for being *very* thorough at all stages of the buying and servicing process, they're not aware of the issue. I'm confident they would help if they could.

Has anyone had any luck convincing either Honda or their dealer to look into this issue? It's the only real lasting problem I've had with the car. Luckily it hasn't stranded me anywhere yet, but its only a matter of time.

TL;DR - Looking for any insight into solving the "lock out" issue. It's well documented on the forum, but I can't find any solutions.
This happened to me. But I was able to use the manual key to get into the car, which set off an alarm. But somehow I got the alarm to stop, I think by pressing the panic button or the unlock button. Sounds like Honda has a bunch of electronic issues with the new features in this car. :-(