J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The intake, if it's not well designed, can throw fueling off and if it's a short ram will provide nothing but hot air.

The tune was not designed for 87. It will also be pulling timing in that scenario.
Sponsored

saiyan1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX Sedan Manual
If you're driving fast (70mph to 85mph) put the car in "R" on your shifter for "Race" then you should be good. Nah I'm joking you might want to check your tune.

Slob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
The intake, if it's not well designed, can throw fueling off and if it's a short ram will provide nothing but hot air.

The tune was not designed for 87. It will also be pulling timing in that scenario.
Shouldn't the KTuned 2.0 still have won considering they were both using the same octane gas?

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Shouldn't the KTuned 2.0 still have won considering they were both using the same octane gas?
Using low octane throws off the timing, resulting in lower performance. The tuned driver should take it off the line alone, as well as the high end (40mph+), assuming the correct octane is used, and they were both in D. Do not use S or L with the base tune, it acts very wonky.

Slob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Using low octane throws off the timing, resulting in lower performance. The tuned driver should take it off the line alone, as well as the high end (40mph+), assuming the correct octane is used, and they were both in D. Do not use S or L with the base tune, it acts very wonky.
So using a tuned car with 87 octane is slower than a non-tuned base car with 87 octane? That doesn't make sense to me...

EDIT: Straight from KTuner's website: "The tune can be ran with 87 octane fuel, but running 91+ will give the best results."

k20martinez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
S and L are better than D better acceleration though?
way better than in D

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So using a tuned car with 87 octane is slower than a non-tuned base car with 87 octane? That doesn't make sense to me...

EDIT: Straight from KTuner's website: "The tune can be ran with 87 octane fuel, but running 91+ will give the best results."
"Can" != better.

And personal experience running 0-110mph in D, S, and L, with tune, resulted in best runs in D. Driving in S holds a higher rpm, but VTEC doesn't activate at 5600rpm, and doesn't incorporate enhanced throttle acceleration from a stand still - may be better between 20-40mph. L revs too high and loses performance. S and L do not account for higher octane and the engine doesn't not respond. S and L drive great with stock tune and 87 octane, but nothing compared to tune with 93 octane in D.

My car and my wife's car are both 2.0 CVT models. I have a tune, 18x8 95W Z rated tires, intake, downpipe. I had the intake, then the tune, before the rest - intake made a slight smoothing of the acceleration curve, but the tune completely opened up the engine. My wife's car is still fully stock. I drive both, and hers is laughably slower.

If your tuned car is slower than stock, octane isn't appropriate, and/or the driver sucks.

Get a full tank of 93 octane and run them again.

k20martinez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
"Can" != better.

And personal experience running 0-110mph in D, S, and L, with tune, resulted in best runs in D. Driving in S holds a higher rpm, but VTEC doesn't activate at 5600rpm, and doesn't incorporate enhanced throttle acceleration from a stand still - may be better between 20-40mph. L revs too high and loses performance. S and L do not account for higher octane and the engine doesn't not respond. S and L drive great with stock tune and 87 octane, but nothing compared to tune with 93 octane in D.

My car and my wife's car are both 2.0 CVT models. I have a tune, 18x8 95W Z rated tires, intake, downpipe. I had the intake, then the tune, before the rest - intake made a slight smoothing of the acceleration curve, but the tune completely opened up the engine. My wife's car is still fully stock. I drive both, and hers is laughably slower.

If your tuned car is slower than stock, octane isn't appropriate, and/or the driver sucks.

Get a full tank of 93 octane and run them again.
Vtec should engage in all modes? Mines does at any time and you really have to learn the cvt and what works best for racing if you seen my video way faster than just Drive. The beat way is to just keep it at higher rpms when your at redline slap it to low and will stay at peak rpms instead of having it “shift”

Slob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Vtec should engage in all modes? Mines does at any time and you really have to learn the cvt and what works best for racing if you seen my video way faster than just Drive. The beat way is to just keep it at higher rpms when your at redline slap it to low and will stay at peak rpms instead of having it “shift”
I'm curious to hear from KTuner if their tune is better at S or D.

Slob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Gimme a few days and I'll post logs as proof.
I'm very eager! Please do post! I do honestly feel like the car just accelerates from 0 waay faster in sport than Drive. Perhaps its because I have eco mode turned on... but i have it turned on for S as well... I haven't tried L

k20martinez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
From a dead a
Gimme a few days and I'll post logs as proof.
When launching in D helps more but anything top end you want to be in L or S shifting wastes time trust me I’ve been in hundreds of races in my car you don’t want to shift. Especially in a cvt all max hp going to the wheel. How I wine races and I win most!!

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm very eager! Please do post! I do honestly feel like the car just accelerates from 0 waay faster in sport than Drive. Perhaps its because I have eco mode turned on... but i have it turned on for S as well... I haven't tried L
Oh Jesus. If you're tuned, ECON is another layer of confuscation. ECON should only be used if a) you're not tuned, b) you're traveling. I have several posts of mpg economy results with both using a full tank with long distance high speeds. ECON absolutely destroys initial acceleration and does NOT play well with the KTuner.

Stock tune, ECON ON, avg 75mph - 40mpg.
Stock tune, ECON OFF, avg 75mph - 36mpg.
Ktune, ECON OFF, avg 75mph - 36mpg.
Ktune, ECON ON, avg 75mph - 31mpg. (????)

City, Stock tune, ECON ON, avg <60mph - 28mpg.
City, Ktune, ECON ON, avg <60mph - 28mpg.
City, Stock tune, ECON OFF, avg <60mph - 28mpg.
City, Ktune, ECON OFF, avg <60mph - 28mpg.

Why the f*** would you run econ if the mileage isn't any different unless you're stock and traveling?

I've been getting 24-25mpg after my downpipe install, but I've been driving quite a bit more aggressively lately. I still got 36mpg on my last trip to and from San Antonio from north Austin. ECON OFF.

Slob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Oh Jesus. If you're tuned, ECON is another layer of confuscation. ECON should only be used if a) you're not tuned, b) you're traveling. I have several posts of mpg economy results with both using a full tank with long distance high speeds. ECON absolutely destroys initial acceleration and does NOT play well with the KTuner.

Stock tune, ECON ON, avg 75mph - 40mpg.
Stock tune, ECON OFF, avg 75mph - 36mpg.
Ktune, ECON OFF, avg 75mph - 36mpg.
Ktune, ECON ON, avg 75mph - 31mpg. (????)

City, Stock tune, ECON ON, avg <60mph - 28mpg.
City, Ktune, ECON ON, avg <60mph - 28mpg.
City, Stock tune, ECON OFF, avg <60mph - 28mpg.
City, Ktune, ECON OFF, avg <60mph - 28mpg.

Why the f*** would you run econ if the mileage isn't any different unless you're stock and traveling?

I've been getting 24-25mpg after my downpipe install, but I've been driving quite a bit more aggressively lately. I still got 36mpg on my last trip to and from San Antonio from north Austin. ECON OFF.
I appreciate the advice! I just thought econ would just help me save more gas. I’ll keep it turned off and I do notice it’s faster without it on!
Sponsored