Any tips on feeding a wire with a plug on it through the flexible conduit on the hatchback?

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I’m trying to feed a read dash cam connection wire through the rubber flexible conduit deal that sits between the tailgate and the body of the car. Since it’s a special wire that already has a little plug on the end it seems rather difficult. Anybody have tips on this? I’m going to see if I can rig up a coat hanger or something to pull it through but not sure if that’s going to work out.
Sponsored

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
I use a ton of silicone spray and a metal pick to get it in and through when I install them, you can also remove the flexible conduit from the hatch and body to straighten it to make it easier

NukeKS14

First Name
A.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe, 1995 240sx, '65 Cobra Repl.
Country flag
I use a ton of silicone spray and a metal pick to get it in and through when I install them, you can also remove the flexible conduit from the hatch and body to straighten it to make it easier
^This, also you can use a metal coat-hanger, straightened out and tape the wire to one end with electrical tape to pull it through.

Mostly though, patience and perseverance are gonna be your best tools.

As a last resort, you can depin the plug and it'll be easier to get the wires through. Amazon sells some inexpensive depinning sets. almost every automotive connector can be depinned and re-assembled later.

>>> IF YOU DEPIN IT, TAKE A BEFORE PICTURE AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T REVERSE THE WIRES ON REASSEMBLY. REALLY IMPORTANT<<<

Amazon.com: 70 Pcs Terminal Removal Key Tool, BingSnow Terminal Pin Extractor Puller Repair Remover Key Tools for Most Connector Terminal: Car Electronics
^something like that, but it's kinda overkill. Check out a few youtube videos and you may be able to get away with just using a pick or small jewlers screwdriver for your connector.

OP
OP

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Thanks. It is a coax cable from Blackvue so there isn’t a way to depin it. I ended up getting it through by being the tip of a coat hanger around the plug so there was no way it could slip off, then wrapping the whole thing in electrical tape so it wouldn’t snag on the other wires, then very slowly pulling the coat hanger through with pliers while slide the rubber up and over the plug so it didn’t get caught in each of the accordion sections. Whew… such a pain. That wire is probably staying with the car whenever I sell it!
Sponsored