Any Si owners to comment on Sport Hatchbacks

• Thread starter Deleted member 3699
  • Start date
  • Watchers 15

Deleted member 3699

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone with an Si has logged some time behind the wheel of a hatchback sport. I am interested in trading in my ride to move for a Civic Si Coupe this year or possibly next. The coupe has really grown on me and I would like to get the Si model one day. Some feedback in terms of sportiness and driving between the two would be appreciated. While similar, I am hoping for some noticeable differences.

Thanks
Sponsored

DarthHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport Manual
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone with an Si has logged some time behind the wheel of a hatchback sport. I am interested in trading in my ride to move for a Civic Si Coupe this year or possibly next. The coupe has really grown on me and I would like to get the Si model one day. Some feedback in terms of sportiness and driving between the two would be appreciated. While similar, I am hoping for some noticeable differences.

Thanks
I traded my Sport Hatchback for an SI and love it, on Sport mode you can really feel the suspension stiffness and a little more power, I am getting a little better fuel efficiency some how about a mile per gallon better than my hatch, the seats feels better, sounds a little deeper, the shifts are smoother, the radio is much better with Apple Carplay, the best 2 features for me are the adjustable intermittent wipers(rains in Florida almost every day) and the bucket seats shape(my leg dont hit the center console anymore) as far as as the acceleration I transferred the Ktuner from the Hatch and both feel very similar even with the SI higher boost map, the only thing I miss from the Hatch is that it was a sleeper and not many people want to race me, ahh also the insurance was cheaper accurs. If you can trade up I will say go for it, mine was a lease and went to a 2017 sedan for only $10/mo more with $500 down and my trade.

4drsiblue

First Name
Itz_knt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Do it bro! Itā€™s a Si! Can never go wrong with that model unless you have the money for a type r. The civic si also looks like a regular civic to the masses. So in a way you can say it also have a sleeper look. The coupe i said looks a bit more aggressive because of the higher wing but even so itā€™s still very subtle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3699

I traded my Sport Hatchback for an SI and love it, on Sport mode you can really feel the suspension stiffness and a little more power, I am getting a little better fuel efficiency some how about a mile per gallon better than my hatch, the seats feels better, sounds a little deeper, the shifts are smoother, the radio is much better with Apple Carplay, the best 2 features for me are the adjustable intermittent wipers(rains in Florida almost every day) and the bucket seats shape(my leg dont hit the center console anymore) as far as as the acceleration I transferred the Ktuner from the Hatch and both feel very similar even with the SI higher boost map, the only thing I miss from the Hatch is that it was a sleeper and not many people want to race me, ahh also the insurance was cheaper accurs. If you can trade up I will say go for it, mine was a lease and went to a 2017 sedan for only $10/mo more with $500 down and my trade.
Canadians get a bit more features in our Hatch. I have the apple play, it is pretty sweet when you get comfortable with the infotainment centre. Thanks for the reply!

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Canadians get a bit more features in our Hatch. I have the apple play, it is pretty sweet when you get comfortable with the infotainment centre. Thanks for the reply!
Yea for us Canadians itā€™s really only the seats and the lsd would be the upgrade. Itā€™s hard to pass up the hatch versatility, canā€™t get that with the Si. But there isnā€™t a wrong choice. If you arenā€™t taking a large money hit then do what feels right.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3699

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely have the bug to trade in but I think I will have to live with my choice for as long as I can before I switch. I will see if Honda decides to do for a mid cycle refresh for the Si or (albeit unlikely) comes out with a special edition model.

I did not lease, but financed so it's going to be a hit sooner or later. I will spend my time researching if there is an ideal time to trade in. Frick, why do I love new models so much.....?

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
... Frick, why do I love new models so much.....?
Because you appreciate fine engineering and because the grass is always greener on the other side.

I tell myself an off-road truck, a sporty car and an electric SUV would complete my car ownership needs. Haha. I wonder if it really would.

ayeerock

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civc FK7 Sport
Country flag
After testing the Si, i didnt feel that the hit iā€™d take would be worth anything the si has to offer.

Last edited:

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I almost bought the hatch sport. It looks nicer than the si for sure. If I got the hatch sport I would have upgraded the stereo and bought a ktuner, but I couldn't get a deal on one, and the si is selling for like 2-3k under so I went for the si.

I say you upgrade that stereo and get a k-tuner. You will have an excellent car, only difference would be the suspension and steering from the si, and to me those 2 are not worth the thousands of dollars you would lose by trading in.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Hi there,

Thanks
I drove both, then went home and read up, then drive again. It was an absolute no brainer as I autocross and do track time 1/4 and roadcourse:). The main draw for me to the Hatchback sport was the Grey color, the LSD alone eliminated the Sport for me. In the past I never did a FWD LSD aftermarket, my old 93 hatch ended up with one behind he b16 but only because stock tranny let go and I found a good deal. I knew if I didnā€™t get what I wanted It would be hell to justify shot with my wife:)

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I had an opportunity to get a white hatch sport, but I passed on it. Chose the si as what everyone listed on here. The seats, better shifting, handling, and stereo was the deal breaker. It wouldā€™ve costed me more to upgrade the hatch to meet up to si standards as a total cost than to just buy the si.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never even considered the Sport hatch. Granted, I like the look and versatility of the hatch, but Honda made it too attractive with features to not get the Si sedan, for me. It comes with so much more standard, along with the performance goodies (suspension, hp bump, LSD, etc) for me to consider anything else.

AngryECW

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Sedan, 1996 Acura Integra GSR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After I sold my Focus ST I went to test drive a Hatchback Sport, ready to pay because of itā€™s versatility, looks, EPA, resale value, and good reviews. But was very disappointed, thatā€™s when Iā€™ve convinced my wife to try out the Si. And we were blown away, the Apple/Android CarPlay is fantastic, the bolstered SI seats and interior materials are MUCH better than the Sport. The performance and driving impression were completely different as well. Where the clutch and brakes felt really mushy and pedestrian on the Sport, the SI actually feels ā€˜sportyā€™. The Hatchback Sport definitely doesnā€™t deserve the Sport moniker as it drove like a regular Corolla / Kia. The SI is better in every way, from driving dynamics, to interior materials and packaging. I just felt the interior of the Hatchback Sport doesnā€™t justify its price tag, unless you put the premium EX package into the Sport (which isnā€™t an option). The only advantage I think the Hatchback Sport has over the SI is the fact that itā€™s an Hatchback, itā€™s definitely more versatile not to mention looks but thatā€™s subjective, and the gas mileage. So if you can get the SI for a good price, I would definitely pay the extra especially when you are looking to keep it for the long haul. Good luck!

AMGSiR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si Sedan (CBP)
Country flag
I own a '17 Si Sedan. Fiance has a '17 Sport Touring HB.

Mine is better for fun, her's is better for commuting.

Her mileage is a little better, but may have to do with her commute vs my slog.

Si is obviously more sporty, better traction with LSD, etc. Her seats are leather, but that's a wash as far as I'm concerned. The biggest difference to me is the Hondasense suite. SO good for long crappy commutes (like mine)

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
OP, there are a few things that folks in this thread haven't mentioned, or if they are, they seem to be a bit different than my experience. I must note that I live in the U.S and apparently the Hatch has some different specs for those that live in Canada so if my specs are off please note I am listing them from a U.S standpoint. First off, the most important thing I didn't see here was boost. The 2017 Si has 18.9 PSI vs. the Sport's 16.5 PSI. I noticed a pretty sizable difference in everyday driving as the Sports top HP was 185 and the Si os 205 when considering both at their stock specs. That right there is a pretty big difference in the performance of the vehicles. With regards to the gentleman's comment about auto-sensing wipers he must be referring to the Sport Hatch, because the Si doesn't have those. I haven't flashed my Si yet because I don't trust a Ktuner or Hondata Flash Pro as I have read the stock clutch to be on the weaker side for that (but that is my personal opinion). Aesthetically speaking, they are both sporty looking vehicles doesn't have an LSD to my knowledge, is slower at stock and doesn't sound as good as the Si does. The Si seats, manual transmission w/short shifter, and the interior were a deal maker for me. When you strip the vehicles down to their basics I believe the Si to be the better performer. That 6-7k price difference revolves around the hatchback body style, and the Honda Sensing Suite you get. The Si was also quite a bit more fun to drive, though I must admit I am impartial to manual vehicles.
Sponsored