Any regrets getting a touring instead of a lower trim?

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 LX 6mt, Type R waiting list
Country flag
Got that right. I have had my LX for 10 months and really am very happy with it. Android auto and backup camera and door tweeters, heated mirrors and seats, etc. But man, you're right, that engine really sings at 6100rpm in third gear when you hit VTEC.
Turn off econ and the vsa and it's fun and light and gets a little squirrelly. It's the slow car fast experience with excellent safety and all the upgrades I'd be doing anyway to an.... Old car.
And the CVT just robs that fun in the interest of economy.

Back to the touring however... I have never had a customer tell me they regretted going to the higher trim package. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Got that right. I have had my LX for 10 months and really am very happy with it. Android auto and backup camera and door tweeters, heated mirrors and seats, etc. But man, you're right, that engine really sings at 6100rpm in third gear when you hit VTEC.
Turn off econ and the vsa and it's fun and light and gets a little squirrelly. It's the slow car fast experience with excellent safety and all the upgrades I'd be doing anyway to an.... Old car.
And the CVT just robs that fun in the interest of economy.

Back to the touring however... I have never had a customer tell me they regretted going to the higher trim package. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I like what you wrote until the last paragraph lol

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like what you wrote until the last paragraph lol
lol well it's true. I just found the base model offered so much, especially in Canada. The basic trim isn't so basic on new cars anymore...

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wait - which package do you mean by “higher trim package”?

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait - which package do you mean by “higher trim package”?
I sell new Hondas. I have had customers talk themselves into the Touring from EX, into EX from LX, Si from Touring etc... Again, never had anyone say they wish they had gone down, but plenty who wish they had moved up. Your mileage may vary.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
Makes sense, definitely get a CTR if you must have a civic. I almost wish I had if I didnt need an automatic.

Not that the premium on a CTR, compared to the regular Touring, isnt a lot of money, but what you get for an additonal $7k or so is a real steal.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I would trade my Touring for an LX manual if it weren't for the financial loss.

Instead I'll take the loss on a non-CVT SUV trade in

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I would trade my Touring for an LX manual if it weren't for the financial loss.
Instead I'll take the loss on a non-CVT SUV trade in
Do you want to switch because you miss driving a 6MT?
Or do you hate the CVT?

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you want to switch because you miss driving a 6MT?
Or do you hate the CVT?
CVT. I feel if they used a regular automatic transmission I would love this car. I only mention manual transmission as it would immensely improve this civic.
I admit I only experienced CVT during the test drive and it was fine. So I bought the Touring. After the gentle break in, I found out quickly the downsides of CVT. After more than a year of ownership, I am disappointed in the CVT. That is my personal opinion, I'm sure others love the CVT but I am not one of them.

pyropinky

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' civic hatch sport touring 6sp SGP
CVT. I feel if they used a regular automatic transmission I would love this car. I only mention manual transmission as it would immensely improve this civic.
I admit I only experienced CVT during the test drive and it was fine. So I bought the Touring. After the gentle break in, I found out quickly the downsides of CVT. After more than a year of ownership, I am disappointed in the CVT. That is my personal opinion, I'm sure others love the CVT but I am not one of them.
Have you taken a hatch out for a test drive? all the benefits of the touring you have but available in a 6MT!

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I admit I only experienced CVT during the test drive and it was fine.
Same here I wish the car would come with a regular auto transmission.

The CVT was OK but felt it was strange at testdrive #1. When I testdrove the car the 2nd time, I found the CVT was too smooth. I could not launch the car quickly even if I floored the gas pedal. I then did some research and finally decided on the 6MT.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Have you taken a hatch out for a test drive? all the benefits of the touring you have but available in a 6MT!
Unfortunately, I did look and I tried to trade in the civic last year but I didn't like the financial loss so I didn't go through with it. I was even looking at a 2016 CRZ 6spd but it wouldn't be practical. If only I had waited a year to get a sport touring 6spd (we get that in Canada) that would've been the perfect car for me but as it looks right now, I'll hang on to the CVTrash for a few more years then get a non-CVT SUV which would be suitable for my age + growing family.

Last edited:

ITGRAD

Love my Civic!!!
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring and 2015 Lexus CT200h
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wish the touring came in a manual.