Any possible downsides to adding this Spoiler to my Coupe Touring?

Martinez.1799

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Touring 1.5T
Country flag
Hey all, as the title says, i'm interested on whether adding this type of spoiler could cause any kind of damage, imbalances, or any downsides really to my 2020 Civic Coupe Touring.

https://extremeonlinestore.com/coll...on-rear-trunk-spoiler-kit?variant=53872552395

I recently bought the car and to be honest, i don't really know much about modding cars in any way whatsoever. All i know is that i like the way the wing looks on the models; however, i'm concerned that due to the size and build of the wing itself, it could potentially have negative effects on my car. This is because the wing i've seen the dealership offer for my specific model is one that's substantially smaller than the one i'm interested in. Would love to hear some feedback from all of you who definitely know more than me on this topic!
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Being a spoiler that wasn't designed and tested with the body shape of the coupe, it might introduce a small amount of additional wind resistance or disrupt the airstream and hurt your highway fuel economy.

I can't imagine it would be more than 1-2 MPG, though.

I don't see how it mounts, but if you have to drill holes in your trunklid, you run the risk of getting a water leak into the trunk. And if you don't like it and take it back off, you have to deal with closing up holes in your trunklid.

If it mounts without drilling holes, you won't have any of these risks.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look into the one from Ikon motorsports... My girlfriend and I installed it and it looks great. The pillars that mount to the car are a bit bigger which will be more stability, and it seats well on the body lines. The one you linked is even smaller and may not be too sturdy. The one from ikon is closer to the Type R but a bit smaller to blend with the body lines. I think the center piece on the ikon one is wider too, like better proportions

OP
OP
Martinez.1799

Martinez.1799

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Look into the one from Ikon motorsports... My girlfriend and I installed it and it looks great. The pillars that mount to the car are a bit bigger which will be more stability, and it seats well on the body lines. The one you linked is even smaller and may not be too sturdy. The one from ikon is closer to the Type R but a bit smaller to blend with the body lines. I think the center piece on the ikon one is wider too, like better proportions
Hey by any chance is this the one you and your girlfriend got? and if it is, you don't think there'll be any issue since my model is the 2020 and not a 2016-2018?

https://www.ikonmotorsports.com/fit...upe-2-door-type-r-trunk-spoiler-wing-abs.html

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's the one! Unfortunately I couldn't tell you for sure, but I don't think they changed much in the 2019 models. You drill through the inner and outer panel of the trunk and get in some tight spots but I don't know that it would be much different inside there from her 16 to your 19. If you decide to try this out, hit me up and we will remove the liner, take pics and make a diagram so you don't hack up the inside of your trunk like we did lol. I wish they sent you an inner and outer template...

OP
OP
Martinez.1799

Martinez.1799

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's the one! Unfortunately I couldn't tell you for sure, but I don't think they changed much in the 2019 models. You drill through the inner and outer panel of the trunk and get in some tight spots but I don't know that it would be much different inside there from her 16 to your 19. If you decide to try this out, hit me up and we will remove the liner, take pics and make a diagram so you don't hack up the inside of your trunk like we did lol. I wish they sent you an inner and outer template...
That would mean a lot! In that case, I'll definitely be ordering this part right here. I was a bit worried i'd get one that's just not... reliable? But now i'm glad i made this post and got the insight i was looking for thanks to all of you. Thank you! :))

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
holes in the trunk

significantly more weight on the trunk (may need to put different torsion springs in the trunk. It will no longer pop open by itself)
Sponsored