mathewp

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW Civic Type R, Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I can confirm. Super smooth. Almost all reviews of the CTR say that its shifter is the best they have ever used.
Same here. I test drove a civic sedan manual before buying CTR. That one was easier to shift than CTR but had no feedback. CTR I think is just right, enough feedback but easy at the same time. So you know when you got into gear. I still liked my 95 Integra GSR manual better but that's just me.

But I have to say the auto brake once engaged eliminates the pain point when stop and go traffic makes you stop uphill or downhill. I had a rolling fender bender once where at a signal where my foot shifted off the brake just a little when I reached out to get something from the rear seat and my car rolled down and touched the front car's fender. With this mechanism it is now no longer that stress there. I wish CTR had a feature where it remembered that and always engaged auto-brake. I have to remember to engage it now every time i start driving. Not sure if someone found a workaround to make it permanent in settings yet.

Also the rev match also makes sure that you don't get the abrupt hit if you accidentally go to 2 instead of 4 etc. So all in all very nice. Even though I had not driven a manual in more than 15 years, within one week my gear shifts have become much smoother as confirmed by family in the rear seats.
Sponsored

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
Anyone else also find themselves twisting that metal ring underneath the shifter knob after a few shifts to ensure it stays straight? Heh, my OCD kicking in.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone else also find themselves twisting that metal ring underneath the shifter knob after a few shifts to ensure it stays straight? Heh, my OCD kicking in.
Holy hell yes!

rey2300

Rey23
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #01928
Country flag
I've had my CTR for 2 weeks now. I had driven manuals briefly but never owned one before the CTR. The dealership was about an hour and 15 minute drive from my house. Needless to say I was quite nervous driving it home in rush hour traffic. Got it home just fine and now after 2 weeks of practice it's so easy.

The rev matching and Brake Hold (hill assist) are life savers for a nooby manual driver. I would recommend trying to find someone that owns a manual to get some practice in but it isn't 100% necessary. It would help eliminate some of the stress of driving it off the lot the first time though. The CTR is amazingly fun to drive!

OP
OP
TennisFan19

TennisFan19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 ZCP
Thanks for all the replies. My Uncle is always at the house, ill just grab his Mini and practice when hes too busy watching the Cowboys game. He originally taught me in his 87 accord coupe. BTW he hates door dings as much as I do.

Honda Civic 10th gen any owners new to driving manual? 34ybmli

RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R | Sentra SER | GMC Terrain.
Country flag
Keep the car in comfort mode while you are getting used to manual. Take off and shifting seem more forgiving than other modes.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
Keep the car in comfort mode while you are getting used to manual. Take off and shifting seem more forgiving than other modes.
Good tip. Will use this while I finish teaching my wife in the next few weeks. She loves the car but obviously the whole transition to stick can be a bit daunting for a beginner.

On my end I actually really taught myself, with the assistance of YouTube! My last experience with a manual was over 10 years ago with a car that had a completely vague setup. Practiced for about 30 minutes in the dealership's parking lot after signing the papers...I'm sure some of the staff walking by got a few laughs but if you never take chances what's the point of life, right? After getting a good feel drove it home. I've have been taking it out any chance I get to practice. Even if its just down the street its a treat to take the car out.

After daily duty for almost two months everything becomes muscle memory, rarely any stalls unless I'm being lazy in the morning. Smooth upshifts and downshifts and will definitely keep practicing heel toe with no rev-match assist. The aids really make the car great, almost too easy. Unless you're in hours of stop and go traffic jams hard to find an excuse not to use this car everyday.

I do ask, in terms of quicker launches from a standstill (not necessarily a clutch dump, but just quicker getaways) what do you guys recommend?

Higher revs with quicker clutch release (a bit of slippage)? Or just smooth off the line and then bury the throttle?

typer4841

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8 4841
I have never driven manual before in my life, until the day i picked up my civic type r, i couldn't get it out of the dealership without stalling 5 times until my friend drove it home for me. 3 days later and 130 miles, i can take it on the road without stalling, just takes me a little bit of time to get going.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Unless you're in hours of stop and go traffic jams hard to find an excuse not to use this car everyday.
I prefer the Type R over an automatic for this.
CTR won't stall in 1st or 2nd gear. It just continues to roll forward at 4mph (1st) or 8mph (2nd).

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I need much more practice as I too haven't driven one in a very long time.

How easy is it to shift into R instead of 6th on the CTR? What would happen if you do?
You can't shift into reverse instead of 6th.

There is a lockout solenoid on the transmission that is activated when you are moving to prevent you from going into reverse

This has been there since the first Honda 6MTs on the RSX-S K20A2

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Another tidbit of info for you

Don't use the gas to get going, just let the clutch out slowly.

The ECU will pick up the rpms to get you going.

1st/Reverse are always the toughest gears to learn, the CTR makes them easy by assisting you.

Once you're moving its just clutch in, change gear, clutch out smoothly and keep going.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would recommend trying to find an econobox rental with a stick and train yourself on that. Better than buying a car just to learn.

shakeb0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Tesla Model S, 11 Honda Insight
started driving the type r today and it wasn't too bad. previously i had a 92 civic hatch si and s2k but haven't been in a manual in awhile. one of my fears is if i'm in gear (ie reverse). sometimes it feels i'm not fully in gear :)
Sponsored