Any options for a TALLER shifter?

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Wanting to improve my shifter, I'm looking for something that will make the shifter physically taller/higher to decrease distance from the steering wheel (less time with hand off the wheel). My previous car was an e46 BMW and I achieved this with a short-throw shifter and a very tall delrin knob. Shift throw ended up being about the same, but moved the hand position up about 4 inches and it was fantastic.

Currently I have a Skunk2 knob installed, and I positioned it to be just a little taller than stock but it's only about 3/4" I'd say.

Any options with the Acuity or Hybrid shifters to help accommodate this?
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Wanting to improve my shifter, I'm looking for something that will make the shifter physically taller/higher to decrease distance from the steering wheel (less time with hand off the wheel). My previous car was an e46 BMW and I achieved this with a short-throw shifter and a very tall delrin knob. Shift throw ended up being about the same, but moved the hand position up about 4 inches and it was fantastic.

Currently I have a Skunk2 knob installed, and I positioned it to be just a little taller than stock but it's only about 3/4" I'd say.

Any options with the Acuity or Hybrid shifters to help accommodate this?
You could probably buy an extender rod to thread between the OEM rod and your shift knob:

Honda Civic 10th gen Any options for a TALLER shifter? Screenshot_20200310-135010_Firefox Focus

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I was gonna say 27won shift knob but it looks like you're looking for something much taller than that

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have been using the Mishimoto weighted shift knob for a few years now. Besides the extended sticked above, this one sits pretty tall from the sticks I've ever used.

Honda Civic 10th gen Any options for a TALLER shifter? DSC_0476.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Any options for a TALLER shifter? DSC_0478.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Any options for a TALLER shifter? DSC_0480.JPG

OP
OP
skorj

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
That Mishimoto one definitely would be closer.

I may order an extender to see if it gives me the height I like. Debating on what I may do for an actual shorter throw to compensate for the additional height - full Acuity, other options, etc.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That Mishimoto one definitely would be closer.

I may order an extender to see if it gives me the height I like. Debating on what I may do for an actual shorter throw to compensate for the additional height - full Acuity, other options, etc.
I might go all out with the Hybrid racing or Acuity shifters. But they're $400-500... I think there are some options for a short throw kit.

Apparently, Honda revised the 2020 type R shifter to have even shorter throws than the 17-19 R's, so you could probably buy one of those. P/N is 54100-TGH-G01 and it's going for around $35 right now LOL.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Well if you really want to go tall, you could DIY something like this: :eek:

Honda Civic 10th gen Any options for a TALLER shifter? Capture5.JPG

OP
OP
skorj

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
I might go all out with the Hybrid racing or Acuity shifters. But they're $400-500... I think there are some options for a short throw kit.

Apparently, Honda revised the 2020 type R shifter to have even shorter throws than the 17-19 R's, so you could probably buy one of those. P/N is 54100-TGH-G01 and it's going for around $35 right now LOL.
$35 for the whole assembly? Good god, I may order one then.

Does anyone know if it's compatible? If it's anything as good as the $12 subframe brace then it will be well worth the $35.

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I bought a couple of tall, cheap shift knobs off Amazon to see how I liked it. The first one was 8 inches tall, and felt like playing a slot machine with how much of a lever it was. In first gear, my hand resting on top was halfway up the radio screen. Went with a knob half that height and it's maybe a tad short, but it's doable. I would trust it over a rod that could easily come unscrewed while driving.

Rafi27

First Name
Rafeh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si
Country flag

Is it $35 for the whole type r shifter?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I have the Raceseng Prolix and I love it. It's 3.5" and counterbored.

Honda Civic 10th gen Any options for a TALLER shifter? 20200103_122417
Sponsored