Any of you use a portable or a small compressor to keep your tires topped off?

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
Just wondering what you guys do to keep your tire pressure even and such.
I don't want to use the kit in the trunk as I may need it for an emergency, and it seems as if every damn air hose at the gas stations around here are broken.
Anyway, any recommendation for a small and convenient compressor just for this?
Sponsored

63blackseries

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I don't want to use the kit in the trunk as I may need it for an emergency, and it seems as if every damn air hose at the gas stations around here are broken.
I use a viair 88p portable compressor that i used to use for my offroading truck, just clamp to the car battery and pump away and its very fast for our tire sizes.

pinhead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I keep a tire pressure gauge and a bike tire pump in the trunk. Very cheap and takes up little room. A bike tire pump will absolutely work on any car, but it does take a lot of pumping. Great for adding a bit of pressure if it gets low, and for most nail-in-the-tire type punctures the leak is slow enough you can pump it back up by hand and get to the tire place to have it repaired. More than good enough. Can save your butt on the highway to get another 20 or 50 miles down the road if the leak is slow. Doesnt help with sidewall damage, obviously.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You guys are going to cringe, but I usually just eyeball my tires every now and then, and measure them with a tire pressure gauge every couple of months. They’ve been surprisingly consistent though, I’ve only needed to add/remove air 2-3 times in the 4 years I’ve owned the car, usually around season changes (fall or spring). The hoses at most gas stations around here are in really good shape. Maybe because it costs a couple of dollars to run the compressor for 5 minutes, and that keeps them from being abused.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Realize that I'm off type on this reply, but I keep a Slime 40051 inflator in the car, used on my former '15 Si as well. It's compact and runs from the accessory outlet, has a long power cord so you can get to both ends of the car one side at a time. When you connect it to the valve, the digital display shows the current pressure. You preset the pressure that you want and it shuts off when it gets there. I sometimes check it with a precision tire gauge and it's always right on. Use it monthly at home to check and adjust pressures, and have used it on the road when I've had a false TPMS indication, or a slow leak that needed topping up prior to repair. $30 at Amazon.

exit2302

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Odyssey EX, 2018 Subaru Forester Prem, 2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you use Ryobi's tools with the One+ batteries, they have a decent hand held inflator. I use that for our vehicles. Using the small battery, it's not heavy. I use a separate digital gauge to check the tire pressure (never really trusted gauges on any inflator).

I have an air compressor, but too big and time consuming to set up. I have a small portable inflator, like the ones mentioned above, but you have to connect it to power, and a little wire management when moving around the car. When this Ryobi one was on sale, I gave it a shot and was not diappointed, so far...

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The factory compressor that comes in the trunk has an 'air only' mode.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I keep an inflator/battery jumper in the trunk with a tire pressure gauge. I check my tires often but it pays off. Gonna rotate tires next weekend and some mid winter cleaning of the Brembo's.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If you use Ryobi's tools with the One+ batteries, they have a decent hand held inflator. I use that for our vehicles. Using the small battery, it's not heavy. I use a separate digital gauge to check the tire pressure (never really trusted gauges on any inflator).

I have an air compressor, but too big and time consuming to set up. I have a small portable inflator, like the ones mentioned above, but you have to connect it to power, and a little wire management when moving around the car. When this Ryobi one was on sale, I gave it a shot and was not diappointed, so far...
this is what i did. I already had other Ryobi tools and few batteries so i decided to purchase the inflator to use for topping up tires. I haven't been disappointed so far also.

r_rated_ctr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The factory compressor that comes in the trunk has an 'air only' mode.
This. I've had to use it a couple time. One side is an air only option, the other side is a fix a flat/air option. Once that side is used it needs to be replaced/refilled. Not sure exactly how that part works, but the air only side works wonders. No need for anything extra to be carried around.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I wound up getting a decent portable one from Autozone, digital readout, quick inflate. The issue I personally had with using the provided air pump in the trunk was that by the time I unscrewed the valve, all the air I just added leaked right back out.

https://www.autozone.com/air-tools-...lt-digital-inflator-with-led-light/989586_0_0

Only quirk I've found is that I need to set it 2lbs higher than required, as otherwise it's not sophisticated enough to subtract the increased PSI from inflating from the total PSI. Otherwise, it works quickly and well.

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
This really blows my mind when the car literally comes with an air compressor with a gauge lmao