Any ideas what this could be before it gets to the shop Friday?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe 1.5T Touring
Country flag
es
At least the powertrain warranty should be still in effect.
In the event that something is wrong then I would hope, however from my understanding when I purchased this it was used from an Audi Dealership over an hour away from me, I believe I remember them saying it was “As Is” and wanted me to buy a warranty through them but due to distance it would be such an inconvenience to go out there each time, so unless the Honda Factory warranty still sticks, and there does end up being something wrong, I’ll be out of pocket entirely for it, besides even if I had Honda warranty they’d try and blame the ECU Flash and modifications no? Even tho far more people have more than I have done with 0 issues so far
Sponsored

JsCivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Check your registration when it was sold new. You have 3 years from there, Regardless used. Honda dealers near you? Should be free to inspect. For mods you're safer, if in the US. But they could deny.
What type of flash? Hondata?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Check your registration when it was sold new. You have 3 years from there, Regardless used. Honda dealers near you? Should be free to inspect. For mods you're safer, if in the US. But they could deny.
I have TSP Stage 1 Tune installed through KTuner and a PRL Cobra CAI installed rn, I’ll look at my registration as soon as I can, but I thought the power train was good up until 60k, I was more curious if since the car was sold to me “As Is” whether that means I didn’t get anything through the dealrship I purchased or if that means no warranty of any kind at all, which you may be answering and I’m just clueless so my apologies if that’s the case

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
oh and yes I’m in the US

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I was initially kind of suspicious when OP being the CVTguy says it smells hot under the hood, circles the CVT fill plug and says it looks dirty in this area.....:dunno:
After replacing the intake, tuning, and racing the car in the 1.5 months since he bought it.

But then he talks about bolting on new downtubes, front tubes, backtubes and uptubes catless and catbacks, tires, and of all things, driving, admitting freely he has no idea about any of these things. So I guess he's legit. The forum is for asking.

If anything goes wrong or fails at any point it is what it is, I’m not too worried about the overall reliability because I only had my 2.0 NA for a year and I don’t expect to own this one but maybe 2 years or so too, I really just want to see what I can get out of this car
That's the fair and honest approach. Nothing wrong with that. I hope your CVT is still OK.

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was initially kind of suspicious when OP being the CVTguy says it smells hot under the hood, circles the CVT fill plug and says it looks dirty in this area.....:dunno:
After replacing the intake, tuning, and racing the car in the 1.5 months since he bought it.

But then he talks about bolting on new downtubes, front tubes, backtubes and uptubes catless and catbacks, tires, and of all things, driving, admitting freely he has no idea about any of these things. So I guess he's legit. The forum is for asking.

That's the fair and honest approach. Nothing wrong with that. I hope your CVT is still OK.
Man I am weak ? swear I’m laughing too hard rn, but you reminded me I did actually buy new tires also yeah, I also recently had my chrome deleted with wrap but the guy fucked it, he’s gonna redo it in a week so I haven’t posted that anywhere at all ?? I hadn’t got around to doing anything with the down pipe cat less or catted or thought about touching yet the front pipe, I’d love to plan to assuming that everything goes well and fine Friday, and while true I don’t know much I’m here to ask and learn pretty much as I go ??‍♂ I also love that quote from my past thread ? I really am interested in what this thing can do, but really man 1.5 months and others have far more mods without issues, I’d be shocked if something really is wrong, and before all this I was about to look into the Flex Fuel Kit from PRL too since I recently realized Thornton’s near me has e85 ?? so rn I’ll just tell myself it’s gonna be fine, it’s fine, I’ll know for sure Friday

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
uptubes catless and catbacks, tires, and of all things, driving, admitting freely he has no idea about any of these things. So I guess he's legit.
and woah man, I can drive, just can’t drive manual ?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I got the car back from the shop where it went this morning, they said it doesn’t seem to be leaking anywhere, they cleaned what was dirty and said they don’t think anything is wrong, but they also said they would not check the level of my fluid, and that I should have Honda look over it, they did still do the muffler delete tho ??‍♂ So after calling my local Honda 2 minutes after their service department closed I was advised to show up at open tomorrow and ask if they have time for it, if not I’ll have to drop it back off when they can fit it in and I can report back if Honda finds anything

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
i just bought a civic 2.0 CVT last week,so this thread has been all kinds of educational for me.hope it works out well for you.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
So I got the car back from the shop where it went this morning, they said it doesn’t seem to be leaking anywhere, they cleaned what was dirty and said they don’t think anything is wrong, but they also said they would not check the level of my fluid, and that I should have Honda look over it, they did still do the muffler delete tho ??‍♂ So after calling my local Honda 2 minutes after their service department closed I was advised to show up at open tomorrow and ask if they have time for it, if not I’ll have to drop it back off when they can fit it in and I can report back if Honda finds anything
I was going to say clean it up and see if it comes back. As long as its not a burning smell.

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
l
I was going to say clean it up and see if it comes back. As long as its not a burning smell.
drooped it off at Honda this morning, just got the call back from them, apparently they said when they drained the transmission fluid it was so dark in color and smelt so bad it was incredible, they said they will have to flush and refill it not once but twice and at $140 each time will end up costing me about $300, idk how much truth there is to needing to do it twice but I guess it’s better than a new transmission, he kept also hinting at the fact the car isn’t stock without just saying it, he did so very like nudgingly that it could be from “running the car more aggressively than the factory parameters” but advised me if anything deeper is wrong or later on happens my warranty is fine and they’ll take care of it

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
*** dropped, and I was getting a burnt smell, they said they believe the fluid was burnt and overheating which caused it to expand and purge out of that plug

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
$280.00 to take a drain bolt off, put it back on, then fill with CVT fluid, and repeat.. that's extortion.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
$280.00 to take a drain bolt off, put it back on, then fill with CVT fluid, and repeat.. that's extortion.
Maybe in some absolute meaning, but you won't get it done much cheaper at any Honda dealer service. My dealer prices transmission flush at $200 (drain and fill is only half that). If they used additional fluid and time they need more $$. Should they do it twice? If it was my car with the hard boiled trans fluid, I would definitely say: Yes, please. Even a flush won't get all the fluid from all nooks and crannies (actually, nooks and trannies in this case).
Sponsored