Any ideas what this could be before it gets to the shop Friday?

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe 1.5T Touring
Country flag
So I noticed a couple of strange things going on recently, biggest of one being a burning smell (not sure what kind of burning smell but the best way I can describe it is the car just smells hot) I also noticed there’s some black gunk I find on the engine, I’ll just attach some photos maybe you guys can tell me whats this black gunk and why it may be where it is, the car has been mostly running fine but since I planned on taking the car into a shop Friday morning for a muffler delete anyway I will also bring this up to them with any insight you guys might be able to provide too

Honda Civic 10th gen Any ideas what this could be before it gets to the shop Friday? BAD78631-9AC4-45DA-A809-82253510FFDE

Honda Civic 10th gen Any ideas what this could be before it gets to the shop Friday? F5D43A49-D740-4645-B884-93991BA9A966

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Did you have the CVT serviced recently?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it looks like a small oil leak.car gets hot and then you smell it,right?
Yes indeed, don’t even have to drive it long, my commute from work to home is about 18 Miles, maybe halfway there with the windows down I’ll get that “hot” smell coming in

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you have the CVT serviced recently?
I have not, I bought the car used from a dealership at the end of March and however it was then is how it is now, haven’t done an oil change or any servicing yet as it was done recent enough according to them but idk they may have lied, don’t they give me service records or whatever when I purchased? If so I can see what was serviced last and when

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If this is the source of your smell, the transmission fluid seems to have been spilled, either when refilling, or after. The refilling plug may tend to pop up under slight internal pressure, maybe when if it's not wiped off and too oily. I think there was a thread on this some tome ago. It happened even more often in some older CVT Honda's.
I would check if the plug is all the way in, if not maybe wipe and reseat it.

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If this is the source of your smell, the transmission fluid seems to have been spilled, either when refilling, or after. The refilling plug may tend to pop up under slight internal pressure, maybe when if it's not wiped off and too oily. I think there was a thread on this some tome ago. It happened even more often in some older CVT Honda's.
Im not too sure how I’d know whether it’s all the way in or not, I’m new to all this stuff and learning as I go, but so should I just take a rag or something other and wipe it all down, then grab that bent piece of medal, lift up maybe and just reseal it back in ?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Could something along the lines of my CVT also be why I hear what sounds like something “charging” it starts as a lower pitch and increases in pitch as I drive until I no longer hear it getting onto the highway? I heard it before installing the intake, still do, and I will say I’ve never owned a turbo vehicle before so I’m not sure what the noise is, it could easily be that and I’m just clueless, but I did see on a thread some mentioned hearing a noise that was related to the air compressor but they all had the noise stop when they turned the A/C off, I tried that and still hear this noise, some said if it sounds like a supercharger it could be an issue with the CVT, all Ik is I’ve noticed it since like a week of having it, and have yet to figure out what it is, could be nothing but as other things like the oil come up it makes me wonder more and more

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Better check the trans fluid level. Either it's overfilled, spilled out when it was checked last, or it's leaked out and the trans is getting ready to burn up. That looks like a lot more than a small leak.

JsCivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Your name is cvt and what you circled is the cvt fluid bung. I have a 9th gen and I heard its known to pop off. Mines never but I have fluid leaked out just like you. I changed the fluid and a filter. It does smell bad.

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Better check the trans fluid level. Either it's overfilled, spilled out when it was checked last, or it's leaked out and the trans is getting ready to burn up. That looks like a lot more than a small leak.
Thank you, I’ll get around to checking that when I’m off work in about 20 minutes and report back, and as I said I’ll be taking it to a shop on Friday morning to see what they say about it

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your name is cvt and what you circled is the cvt fluid bung. I have a 9th gen and I heard its known to pop off. Mines never but I have fluid leaked out just like you. I changed the fluid and a filter. It does smell bad.
I realized after popping off that fill cap and finding nothing, and then googling if I’m blind that there is actually no dipstick on these cars for the transmission fluid and I’ll have to wait until Friday to get the shop to check it, all I managed to do was cause my car to shake pretty violently and hesitate once I plugged it back up and started it, then the car proceeded to shake hard while at idle, I drove home no problems tho idk ??‍♂?

JsCivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Ya no dip stick. There's a over fill bolt. You need to unbolt that and add honda HCF2 until it comes out and its full. Idk your milage but if you go through all that trouble, best to do a drain and refill. Your just one drain bolt away. The HCF2 fluid is about $14 usd a quart on Amazon. There's also a filter next to what you circled, that 2 tubes going down facing towards the back of the engine bay. 3 bolts and right inside there. Honda workers have no clue about that and will say there's no filter.

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ya no dip stick. There's a over fill bolt. You need to unbolt that and add honda HCF2 until it comes out and its full. Idk your milage but if you go through all that trouble, best to do a drain and refill. Your just one drain bolt away. The HCF2 fluid is about $14 usd a quart on Amazon. There's also a filter next to what you circled, that 2 tubes going down facing towards the back of the engine bay. 3 bolts and right inside there. Honda workers have no clue about that and will say there's no filter.
My mileage rn is somewhere just under 40k, it’s 39.something, and okay thank you, I don’t see where you mean but I understand what you’re saying, I already have the shop appointment scheduled for Friday morning, I’ll let them know what information has been shared to me here as I don’t have the time to try and work on this myself rn, gotta work 11 hours each day but Sundays