Any Grievances for the 2018 Civic Si?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Love the overall package, not a lot to complain about. Fully loaded sport/turbo package for this cheap......

Definitely can tell it's not the usual Honda fit & finish I'm use to.
Not my Japan built Fit or bikes.

I have the front bumper alignment issue & paint peeling brand new.
Other than that it just needs a tune.
I'm even impressed with the stock all season tires!
The stock all season tires are horrendous in the snow. I suspect it's more about their width than anything else.
Sponsored

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
The stock all season tires are horrendous in the snow. I suspect it's more about their width than anything else.
Oh I have no doubt! I'm not looking forward to snow in these 235's but I don't think these tires are gonna make it to winter!

Made it through Wyoming/Colorado winters in my lowered EM2 Civic with 225's/16 great! They called my car the snow plow! lol

Hopefully I do okay!

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not saying that the GTI blows the SI out of the water or anything because I do love the SI and I have no issue with it except that the engine doesn't have VTEC lol, but that being said the GTI is just a little bit better all around if your just looking at overall performance (look online to see GTI track times vs. the SI) and if you throw in a GTI with the performance pack and LSD then there isn't even a contest (but that is obviously more expensive). This is nothing new too because the SI has always been about driving feel rather than the numbers game (205HP vs 220HP) and all of it's competitors besides the Elantra sport beat it out in horsepower. The SI just aims to deliver a solid driving experience with honda reliability and a lightweight athletic chassis with a little bit of punch in the engine.
Car and Driver list the Lightning Lap times of both the Si and the GTI as the exact same times to the second. The 1/4 mile times are close with the GTI maybe a .1 second faster or so. The GTI destroys the Si on the 0 to 60 time, but redline in second gear is 58 mph on the Si. I suspect the 0 to 58 times for both to be fairly close. If you throw in all those extras on the GTI then it might be more fair to compare it with the Type R due to price.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Car and Driver list the Lightning Lap times of both the Si and the GTI as the exact same times to the second. The 1/4 mile times are close with the GTI maybe a .1 second faster or so. The GTI destroys the Si on the 0 to 60 time, but redline in second gear is 58 mph on the Si. I suspect the 0 to 58 times for both to be fairly close. If you throw in all those extras on the GTI then it might be more fair to compare it with the Type R due to price.
I have been very tempted to slightly increase the rev limit just to let me do 60-65 (6700-7300 rpms should do it) in 2nd gear.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Thats interesting, I didnt see car and driver but I saw videos on YouTube by automotive channels comparing the two vehicles, and in one of them, the GTI had a 2 second lead in terms of lap times around the same track. Also, I dont know about where you live but the price of a fully loaded GTI with the performance back and autobahn trim is 30-31K max. Where as the CTR is at $38,000 almost $39 (dealer price) which is a sizeable difference, so you definitely can't compare a GTI to a Type R in terms of price. Not saying which one is better because each car (to me at least) delivers a different experience, but I was just responding to the earlier comment that there is no car that compares to the SI within $5K which isn't true.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Heres what i dont like about my 10th gen si:

- The infotainment system is slow and delayed as fuck
- No physical volume knob for the stereo sucks dick. Its really fuggin annoying and inconvenient. Yeah we have the control in the steering wheel, but you still cant adjust the volume with it nearly as fast as with a knob.
- No physical controls for the blower fan speeds or the ac is really fucking inconvenient because again, the touch system is slow as fuck
- The 205 HP is retarded. When i first read about it i thought it was some kind of belated April fools joke by Honda. Like didnt we just have that same fucking power in the previous gen si? I mean, at least bump it up to 220 from the factory.
- The clutch/pedal feel is shitty. The clutch pedal is marshmellow soft to push in, and the engagement point is vague.
- The rediculously fucking stupid 3 step procedure to turn the traction control completely off (to make it blink)

Things I love about my 10th gen si:

- Stock handling from the factory is a huge step up from the 9th gen si
- Factory wheel gap is greatly reduced from previous gen si
- The heavy steering wheel when in sport mode
- The looks--I have the coupe, and it is beautiful from every angle. It is also very aggressive looking
- I love the seats. Very sporty and bolstered perfectly for my body size.
- The shifter is short and small. Very sporty feeling.
- The automatic walk away lock system. I use mine and I love how convenient it makes things
- The automatic lock and unlocking gas door. I like this feature
- The sound system is better than the 9th gen. The bass is punchier.
- The summer tires (mine came with)

dbeer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
I'm really enjoying driving the 2018 civic si sedan. Its a fun car to drive while still being practical, I use it as a daily commuter including my bus duties (3 kids). I live in a fairly hilly area and still maintain 35mpg.

I saw comments about vague engagement points on the clutch. I personally find that the point at where it starts to engage is consistent, although the cdv may serve to confuse things. This has to be one of the most forgiving clutches I've ever driven. The only manuals ive owned was an mr2 spyder and a 94 civic ex. This clutch does not feel any lighter to me, but that could just be old age :).

The other thing is the rev hang. This is a double edge sword, drive a stick in a hilly area where you are turning into hills from a stop and I'm sure all of your passengers will be very happy that you have rev hang. Like anything else, you learn to compensate for it. If I ever install ktuner, I really dont know if ild remove it.

One thing I really like is hill start assist. I dont care what anyone says, for me its a killer feature. I drop off my kids in the morning where drop off consists of a caravan of cars going up a hill, stopping every 10 feet and 6 inches apart from each other. I don't think i need to say anymore on that topic.

I like the notchiness of the transmission (it is a very positive engagement), which is different than the amount of feedback (crunchiness?) which i dont like so much. I haven't installed any of the acuity mods or changed the mt fluid. I did install a boomba shift knob which weighs ~ 1lb. This definitely numbed the amount of feedback while keeping the notchiness in place. The sound and feel of putting the car in gear is satisfying.

Now for some of the stuff I haven't been impressed with.

I had a squeaky brake pedal from day 1. Easily solved with some lube. Shouldnt PDI have caught and taken care of this?

I've had my car for about a month and have ~ 1500 miles. The other day it was 90 degrees outside and I was pushing the car hard. TPMS triggered with a low pressure warning. I learned that when it says low pressure, it can actually mean high pressure. I checked the pressure in my wheels and they were 45 psi ??!!?!? Let the car cool off and lowered it down to 35/34 (accounting for difference in temperature). Took 2 resets of the tpms for it to stop complaining. So far so good. I'm not a fan of this tpms mechanism. Also, my dealership installs wheel locks by default on all vehicles (and doesn't charge for it). Great right?. while trying to sort out the tpms indicator, I decided to check the torque on the lug nuts. The lug nuts where fine but the wheel locks where sub 60. Lesson learned for me, check tire pressure / dealer installed items.

These are not really negatives of the car itself but more so of the lack of care of the dealership that claimed to have completed the PDI process but obviously had not.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Thats interesting, I didnt see car and driver but I saw videos on YouTube by automotive channels comparing the two vehicles, and in one of them, the GTI had a 2 second lead in terms of lap times around the same track. Also, I dont know about where you live but the price of a fully loaded GTI with the performance back and autobahn trim is 30-31K max. Where as the CTR is at $38,000 almost $39 (dealer price) which is a sizeable difference, so you definitely can't compare a GTI to a Type R in terms of price. Not saying which one is better because each car (to me at least) delivers a different experience, but I was just responding to the earlier comment that there is no car that compares to the SI within $5K which isn't true.
The Autobahn GTI starts at 35,920. With the DSG it is 37K. Definitely closer to a Type R in price for the loaded models.

http://www.vw.com/models/golf-gti/t...edit/tab/summary/transmission-type/automatic/

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The Autobahn GTI starts at 35,920. With the DSG it is 37K. Definitely closer to a Type R in price for the loaded models.

http://www.vw.com/models/golf-gti/t...edit/tab/summary/transmission-type/automatic/
Thats MSRP, i'm talking about real world pricing in where I live, you can grab them for much much less brand new from my local dealer. MSRP it is close but in the real world (which actually matters) the autobahn GTI is much less than a type R plain and simple.
Link to vehicle listing: https://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/i...i-autobahn-fwd-4d-hatchback-3vw547au7jm275316

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Damn, they don't mark anything down like that where I am.:cry:

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
4 weeks and 675 miles into ownership of 2018 coupe. Mostly good for me. A few small issues:

1. Fit and finish not perfect. A few Body panel gaps, some slightly loose rubber moldings/weatherstripping.
2. Vibration somewhere in the drivers door window. Not sure if it's in the door or if the window is slightly vibrating...anytime i roll over even the slightest road imperfection I hear something shake in my left ear. Not a huge deal but still...
3. Infotainment slightly laggy (not to beat a dead horse).
4. Gas mileage a little lower than reported by most others. 100% in-town driving and i'm getting about 27 mpg. This is during my engine break in when i'm driving pretty conservatively. I imagine it might go down to 26 mpg or so. I was hoping for more like 30.

That's all i can think of. It's all very minor...then again the car is brand new. As of now I plan to drive this car forever so hopefully everything holds up over the years (engine, trans etc.). If I can get longevity and reliability out of the car i'll be 100% happy.

I test drove a WRX the day I bought my Si. I really liked that as well but to get the heated seats (premium model?) I would have been over $30K. I didn't want to spend that much. The Si is just as fun to drive as the Subbie and a lot cheaper!

The car is great looking and really satisfying to drive. I definitely made the right choice with my first Honda!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
4 weeks and 675 miles into ownership of 2018 coupe. Mostly good for me. A few small issues:

1. Fit and finish not perfect. A few Body panel gaps, some slightly loose rubber moldings/weatherstripping.
2. Vibration somewhere in the drivers door window. Not sure if it's in the door or if the window is slightly vibrating...anytime i roll over even the slightest road imperfection I hear something shake in my left ear. Not a huge deal but still...
3. Infotainment slightly laggy (not to beat a dead horse).
4. Gas mileage a little lower than reported by most others. 100% in-town driving and i'm getting about 27 mpg. This is during my engine break in when i'm driving pretty conservatively. I imagine it might go down to 26 mpg or so. I was hoping for more like 30.

That's all i can think of. It's all very minor...then again the car is brand new. As of now I plan to drive this car forever so hopefully everything holds up over the years (engine, trans etc.). If I can get longevity and reliability out of the car i'll be 100% happy.

I test drove a WRX the day I bought my Si. I really liked that as well but to get the heated seats (premium model?) I would have been over $30K. I didn't want to spend that much. The Si is just as fun to drive as the Subbie and a lot cheaper!

The car is great looking and really satisfying to drive. I definitely made the right choice with my first Honda!
Drive easy, avoid boost - shift at 2.5k if you must, but shift at 2k when you can. You'll see 34-44 mpg, as well as many single finger salutes from other drivers.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Drive easy, avoid boost - shift at 2.5k if you must, but shift at 2k when you can. You'll see 34-44 mpg, as well as many single finger salutes from other drivers.
:rofl:
That last part is hilarious , but true.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I feel like this thread is a little bit negative about the 10th gen Si. I got this car for 22.5K brand new and I think it's a great value for what you get.

Yeah, a GTI or WRX may perform better. But you have to get upgraded trims for the same features. And with a hondata or ktuner you can be real close with performance (or maybe even equal to GTI).

That said, if I felt like I had more money burning a whole in my pocket I would have spent 7k more for a wrx premium. Though the wrx does get much worse gas mileage than even a tuned Si.
I totally agree. I have been a Toyota guy for the last 20 years, and needed to replace my 2006 Toyota Camry SE V6 I was turning over to my daughter. I was in the market for a 2018 Camry SE, but a Civic Sport caught my eye. I started to do some research which led me to the 2018 Civic Si. Long story short, I got it for $22K, which was about $2500 cheaper than the Camry. You won't find any other car in it's class for this price that offers so much. It's fun, it's economical, and because its a Honda it is most likely very reliable. And it has a 6 speed MT.

Here is what I hate about the car:
The infotainment system (give me friggin old school buttons)
No volume buttons
Climate controls are in the infotainment system
Massive right side blind spot (I suspect this is is a problem with a lot of new cars due to smaller windows and being lower to the ground)
Electronic parking brake
Sometimes notchy gears

Savagegeese does an excellent review and breakdown of the Civic Si and recommends as one of the top 3 cars under $30K
Sponsored