Any experience with buddy club steering wheel?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Just ordered my buddy club today! should get it by next week. Whats a steering wheel puller? I had watched a few videos and from my understanding if you remove the two torx screws on the side of the column, the airbag should just pop out. Gonna have to watch more videos.
You should unplug the airbag wires and ground cable before pulling the airbag out. After that there is a thick center screw that holds the wheel in. Unscrew that with a 10mm hex nut (male). Then you’d use a steering wheel puller to get the wheel out as it might be stuck on there pretty good.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You should unplug the airbag wires and ground cable before pulling the airbag out. After that there is a thick center screw that holds the wheel in. Unscrew that with a 10mm hex nut (male). Then you’d use a steering wheel puller to get the wheel out as it might be stuck on there pretty good.
Oh i see, okay ill have to look into that. I might be able to get my hands one. Never even see one before though so ill do a little research. Super pumped to get my wheel!

bbalnce

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Nice, not too many tools needed (if you're planning on installing yourself): A long ratchet and a 10mm hex nut (male) for the center steering wheel nut, a regular length ratchet, T30 nut (male) for the airbag screws, a trim tool, steering wheel puller, and a Philips head screw driver. Most autoparts stores will let you borrow a steering wheel puller (with a deposit).

Show some pics after you install though, the wheel looks great in the pictures they provide.
So I tried removing it today, but stuck at the 10mm hex part... It's just too tight, I even got a 12in breaker bar.. really don't want to spend another 100 something to get a impact gun for it...

Any suggestions or tips on how to proceed?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So I tried removing it today, but stuck at the 10mm hex part... It's just too tight, I even got a 12in breaker bar.. really don't want to spend another 100 something to get a impact gun for it...

Any suggestions or tips on how to proceed?
Get a longer breaker bar. Mine was about 2-2.5ft long (maybe a little longer) :p I couldn't get it back into my dad's toolbox when I was done because I couldn't get it to fit diagonally (he's able to get it to clear and close somehow). I didn't use any powered tools to do the job, but a long torque wrench was also needed to torque the nut back on.

bbalnce

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Get a longer breaker bar. Mine was about 2-2.5ft long (maybe a little longer) :p I couldn't get it back into my dad's toolbox when I was done because I couldn't get it to fit diagonally (he's able to get it to clear and close somehow). I didn't use any powered tools to do the job, but a long torque wrench was also needed to torque the nut back on.
finally got it working with a buddy's help, and now i'm stuck with a stripped screw when trying to remove trim pieces.. i think i'll need to get screw extractor at this point.. this is much harder than i initially thought lol

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
do you know what the torque specs are when reinstalling the steering wheel?

bbalnce

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
finally installed the new one.
It's almost perfect, thicker and better feeling etc, except the bottom is kind of edge, not very smooth. It's more apparent after installation and when driving on the road.

overall it's a decent wheel and definitely look better than stock imo. if your hands are always on 3 and 9, then it's a perfect steering wheel.

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Im waiting for buddy club to deliver. Should be here tuesday. After ordering it, I started to look at IS_Autogroup's steering wheels and Im wondering if I shouldve went for one of those, they seem to be much more aggressive. I will try out the buddy club, if i dont like, ill switch it to an IS wheel

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
Question for Mugen or Buddy Club wheel owners - do either of these steering wheels have a flatter bottom/smaller profile than stock? One thing I find with the stock wheel is that my legs sometimes hit the bottom with spirited driving. I suppose I could just move the wheel up a bit, but that doesn't feel optimal in terms of my hand placement.

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Question for Mugen or Buddy Club wheel owners - do either of these steering wheels have a flatter bottom/smaller profile than stock? One thing I find with the stock wheel is that my legs sometimes hit the bottom with spirited driving. I suppose I could just move the wheel up a bit, but that doesn't feel optimal in terms of my hand placement.
i have the buddy club wheel, i wouldnt say the profile is smaller than stock, but the flat part, is very flat, so it definitely removes something out of the full height of it, so i could see you taking advantage of this as I think itll interfere less with your knee.

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just ordered my buddy club today! should get it by next week. Whats a steering wheel puller? I had watched a few videos and from my understanding if you remove the two torx screws on the side of the column, the airbag should just pop out. Gonna have to watch more videos.
Where did you order your buddyclub wheel from? It is out of stock everywhere :(

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Nvm, placed an order with Evasive. Hopefully they have it in stock. Excited :)
Sponsored