Any evidence that the 2.0 is detuned/overrated?

Black Knight

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX - Agean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vtec activated around 6800RPM, 13 secs into the video.
Sponsored

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
ktuner and bolt ons putting down 280 to the wheels? si is a no brainer

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
I have an EX CVT and it accelerates way faster than this, for sure. I have highwall mats as well and they add thickness, but mine are compressible so if I literally step into it I can still floor it. This does look like it's not being floored so your floor mats are probably not allowing that extra bit of throttle. Also are you tuned? VTEC should kick in at 5600 if you are.

Also generally I've found on the 2.0L that S accelerates much better than L. It keeps the rpm at the torque range in the beginning but once you pick up a little speed, the engine does better at higher rpm's when you can open up to VTEC, and S does that better. If I were WOT to that speed I'd be in vtec range long enough for it to fakeshift twice

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
I really hate this expression tbh, there's no elasticity in a CVT, and the sheaves don't even pull the belt: it's a belt made of metal plates and the sheaves/pulleys actually push the belt. There's no rubber band effect, that's not even a thing. The delay with CVT acceleration is due to the programming in the TCM, the transmission control module is just designed for longevity and fuel economy. Most people don't WOT a 2.0L NA car with a CVT and expect it to accelerate like a sportscar, and Honda realized this when they designed the CVT the way they did.

That being said, his car absolutely isn't accelerating properly, my EX CVT behaves much differently than his and picks up way quicker. It's probably just his floor mats preventing actual WOT.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
My foot was all the way down from the beginning. However i do have husky all weather floormats and that may be adding a quarter inch of thickness. I will take the mats out and try again.
Yeah, if I ever floor my car, it instentaneously picks up and maintains a relatively smooth powerband throughout, not much CVT lag at all. It shouldn't be doing that if your foot was really was to the floor. I guess try it without the mats and see if it makes a difference.

Black Knight

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have an EX CVT and it accelerates way faster than this, for sure. I have highwall mats as well and they add thickness, but mine are compressible so if I literally step into it I can still floor it. This does look like it's not being floored so your floor mats are probably not allowing that extra bit of throttle. Also are you tuned? VTEC should kick in at 5600 if you are.

Also generally I've found on the 2.0L that S accelerates much better than L. It keeps the rpm at the torque range in the beginning but once you pick up a little speed, the engine does better at higher rpm's when you can open up to VTEC, and S does that better. If I were WOT to that speed I'd be in vtec range long enough for it to fakeshift twice
No, im not tuned, on mod ive done that could effect the engine was a exhaust cutout. Ill try S later today and see how works.

Black Knight

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ive tried running it both open and closed and it doesnt seem to make a difference. Ill record a video and keep you updated.

Black Knight

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i closed my exhaust and put it in S then shifted it to L around 4500 rpm and i got a 0-60 of 8.6 seconds.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For the people who want to debate 1.5t and 2.0 they're both civics calm down lol 2.0s won't have the direct injection carbon or fuel oil mix tho that's why I got it..reliability and simplicity...and for the people are being haters this is one of my other motors

Honda Civic 10th gen Any evidence that the 2.0 is detuned/overrated? Resized952019010895184004

Honda Civic 10th gen Any evidence that the 2.0 is detuned/overrated? Resized952019010895183745

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean I do like the si and hatchback don't get me wrong. But with ktuner having as much or more hp as the turbo variants is pretty cool though I must admit I'll probably buy one

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Lol yeah, I never got the argument between these motors tbh. 2.0 is undoubtedly slower because thats exactly how Honda wanted it to be. Plus, these are front wheel drive economy cars so if your plan is to buy one of these and "race" or push a bunch of power through it, makes no sense to buy one of these in the first place. Money is better spent buying a used vehicle that has more modding potential and can actually make sense as a performance car. Not a CVT civic.
Sponsored