Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill?

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
So I was convinced by my significant other to start driving my R before all the gravel has been removed from all roads in my locality. I initially hesitated but figured if I drive slow for the most part that the odds of a major rock chip would be minimal. Well turns out that my luck was cut short and my car suffered a major hit on the emblem and cracked it. I am just thankful it is just the emblem and not the bumper or heaven forbid the windshield.......

Looking for quick ways to replace the emblem without having to remove the entire bumper or messing up the grill.

I am still coming to grips on how expensive this little part is. Honda Canada wants $60CAD for it. They should make it damn near bulletproof at that price.

Thanks,

Honda Civic 10th gen Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill? DB473789-915A-4E0E-9406-F939FF2016ED

Honda Civic 10th gen Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill? 5D7B72DE-26A9-4B6D-8ACA-893A471F6A5A

Honda Civic 10th gen Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill? 4023698F-E85F-4197-9465-E35DF09EFA38

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Easiest way without damaging the grill is to use a plastic trim tool to pry off the emblem.

Note that by doing so you’ll leave the leftover of two tabs that will snap off the emblem. Not a big deal since the emblem is mainly held in place by double sided tape.

OP
OP
stevescivic

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Easiest way without damaging the grill is to use a plastic trim tool to pry off the emblem.

Note that by doing so you’ll leave the leftover of two tabs that will snap off the emblem. Not a big deal since the emblem is mainly held in place by double sided tape.
?? How can I get a tool under the emblem? It looks like the factory has that thing on there good.

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Here is the grill and the back of emblem, no tape that I see.

Honda Civic 10th gen Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill? IMG_20180421_211717

OP
OP
stevescivic

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

IMG_20180421_211717.jpg
Yeah I figured that the only way to really replace the badge with a new one is to do a full disassembly of the bumper cover which I am not keen on doing.

Thanks for sharing that.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill? image Mine isn't much better , too much freeway driving .

OP
OP
stevescivic

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
image.jpg Mine isn't much better , too much freeway driving .
trust me when i say that my heart sank when i saw that rock (maybe not so small when i could see it) hit my front. I thought "sh*t" there's gonna be damage there.... Thinking I was invincible with PPF on my car and emblem but alas no...

Oh well, I ordered a new one from Honda, will get the PPF guys to make me a new PPF overlay for the emblem and I will replace it when I get to it in a few years when it breaks even more...

I knew I should've waited another month before driving my car but... the itch was too great to ignore the R considering that I was convinced by the dealership to take the car in October only to have it sit in my garage in what I can remember as one of the longest ass winters ever... what a burn.

Oh well, it can be fixed on day...

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag

IMG_20180421_211717.jpg
That’s not the back of the emblem, that’s part of the grill. I replaced my grill recently and had to transfer my H and Type-R emblem.

As you see below, the remnants of the double sided tape still on the grill, and one of the tab of the emblem snapped off.

Honda Civic 10th gen Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill? C823157F-2AD4-4C81-B88D-9A9BCDB2EF4E

Honda Civic 10th gen Any easy way to replace the R Honda emblem on the front grill? 2421C556-7DE0-4B3F-9B08-1BE098F3B8B1

OP
OP
stevescivic

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s not the back of the emblem, that’s part of the grill. I replaced my grill recently and had to transfer my H and Type-R emblem.

As you see below, the remnants of the double sided tape still on the grill, and one of the tab of the emblem snapped off.

C823157F-2AD4-4C81-B88D-9A9BCDB2EF4E.jpeg

2421C556-7DE0-4B3F-9B08-1BE098F3B8B1.jpeg

C823157F-2AD4-4C81-B88D-9A9BCDB2EF4E.jpeg

2421C556-7DE0-4B3F-9B08-1BE098F3B8B1.jpeg
I wish they didn't use those one way lock rings and just stuck to adhesive tape. That would make replacing it so much easier and they should have considered this when they designed the emblem. I wonder if there is a way to fix the crack on mine by heating the plastic or something... like take it to those windshield crack repair guys to see if they can drill out the blister and fill it with that polymer they use to fill glass.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know if the regular H emblem from the hatch fit our grille?
I got the JDM Access logo/emblem kit which as far as I know, fits all hatchbacks. The front emblem was a pain, but the rear and CIVIC emblems were a breeze, I installed the front when I put on my PRL FMIC. Pro-tip (from a great member on another forum)- applying a little heat to the back side of the grill will help in getting the adhesive off.

Hope that helps!

CTR_MIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
I got the JDM Access logo/emblem kit which as far as I know, fits all hatchbacks. The front emblem was a pain, but the rear and CIVIC emblems were a breeze, I installed the front when I put on my PRL FMIC. Pro-tip (from a great member on another forum)- applying a little heat to the back side of the grill will help in getting the adhesive off.

Hope that helps!
Thanks bro!

EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (RR), 2013 Chevy Volt
Country flag
Could someone confirm the final status of "how to do this"? I also have a crack in my front badge and just got the OEM replacement, but am trying to figure out what am I going to have to do to take the old one off (without breaking it?) and put the new one on.

Do I need to take the whole front bumper off (it doesn't appear like it)? Or can I leave the front bumper on and just use a plastic pry tool to pry off the existing badge, maybe scrape the area clean, and glue the new one on?

EDIT: I've searched extensively on the web, but all instructional videos are people with Sport or SI badge swapping to the CTR badge, not a CTR badge replacement.

Last edited:

Silent_FK8

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Could I just use a hairdryer/heat gun to heat the adhesive and remove the front H? Has anyone tried this yet?

Last edited:

EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (RR), 2013 Chevy Volt
Country flag
Could I just use a hairdryer/heat gun to heat the adhesive and remove the front H? Has anyone tried this yet?
Yes, I did this. I didn’t want to remove the bumper to fix mine. I used a plastic pry tool and hair dryer to heat the glue and pry/hack through the glue on the back until I got the emblem off. I then delicately and tediously used goof off to remove the lingering adhesive from the bumper. A quick wipe with water then rubbing alcohol to make sure the goof off was all gone, then applied the new badge. So, technically the little plastic clips on the back broke off and fell down, but ?‍♂ 5k miles later my new badge has a scratch in it ?
Sponsored