Any dos and don'ts/recommendations for cold weather driving? It's -15°F where I am... :-(

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can someone explain to me how this works exactly (what plugs into what?) I'm still confused after doing some interwebs searching. Thanks in advance.
The old iron V8’s had a knock out plug in the block you’d stick this into. Not sure how this works on the new blocks but I’m sure it’s pretty similar.
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I warm my 2.0NA for about 3-5 minutes before I leave the house if the temp is below -10 C. Otherwise, I just drive tame. Everything is too snow and ice covered to go like a scalded ape anyhow.

A block heater would indeed be a great compromise. Put a timer unit on the wall/outdoor plug so it warms the block before you leave for work, if you have a predictable departure time. That way you aren't using power all night long. Although if it is like lately and temps are -20 C or worse overnight, all night long might be needed.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I usually do about 1 hour of block heater for every 10°C below freezing.

jjtheprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The block heater is a great investment for any vehicle. I live in a climate so severe that I've even had to use it through April.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
There are a lot of places where it doesn’t snow and it’s super cold.

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't used an engine block heater in 30 years, back when I had an old beater car with a non-performance carbureted V8 engine to start up in the middle of winter.
It probably doesn't hurt, but modern fuel injected engines are very good at starting in cold weather.

2018 EX-T sedan, -9F in the detached garage, -23F driving to work, started right up, and drove just fine. I do drive on 30mph back streets for the first few miles before getting the car up to freeway speeds. The temp gauge is typically registering heat by this time. FYI: First car with heated seats. This car doesn't seem to warm up extremely fast, but warm seats sure make up for that.

No oil dilution conditions detected so far at 7K miles, and one oil change.

The 17" factory radial tires are working surprisingly well. I cancelled my plans for a set of winter tires based on the first few drives in snow.

Take care, JP

Last edited:

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
Hey guys, old thread but wanted to add my two cents. I can confirm that having snow and ice stuck inside the rims can definitely cause your wheels to wobble at high speeds. I experienced this a few days ago, but after inspecting my wheels and knocking out the stuck snow, the problem completely went away!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Driving slowly also allows the suspension to soften

I use full synthetic oil. Car engine start close to summer time. No block heater and same weather in Quebec.
Heat coming from vent less than 5 minutes in gentle driving .

I don't have turbo engine :)

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
I drive a 6MT sport touring and found myself shifting a little later than usual to let the revs pick up to warm up the engine a little faster. I would also turn off VSA at times to get the wheels to spin to get going a little quicker. We just survived -40C frigid temperatures last week here in Edmonton and there was only one day where I wished I had AWD, going up a hill where traffic was at a crawl. I ended up spinning up the hill in first get with the revs almost at 7000 but made it up there! If I had to do that again, I probably should have shifted to second gear.
Sponsored