Any DIY guides on replacing the horn?

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I remember going through the trouble of changing out the horns on my CR-V. I put 2 very loud horns in place of the stocks. I might've used them 2-3 times. Just sayin'.
You're lucky - I work in a dense metropolitan area (Financial District, SF, CA) & use my horn multiple times on a daily basis.
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're lucky - I work in a dense metropolitan area (Financial District, SF, CA) & use my horn multiple times on a daily basis.
I hardly ever use my horn these days. I'll reference my previous post...."road rage, psychos, have a family, only green Coupe in town". :)

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
If was me, I would just cut the factory connector off. You could always splice it back on if needed (but I don't know why you would want to :) ).

The HRV might have the same horn.

BTW, the posted, College Hills Honda, commented:
"This project has been put on hold for the time being for Civic applications. We may explore with some manufacturers again in the fall."
I wonder if maybe paint was getting scratched in the process.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hey guys I installed the maxisound horns and followed my2016civic's guide. After a couple months my fuse constantly breaks any recommendations? (like it can honk like 15ish times then just breaks)

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. That's unfortunate! It sounds like either the horns you used are pulling too much power or you have a short somewhere in your connections. Did you use conventional low-amp horns, or one of those bigger air horns? The ones I used where the Wolo Maxi Sound 320-2T since they are 12v 7-amps so they didn't require an additional relay or higher amp fuse.

I do n not recommend using a higher amp fuse. Some may recommend this and it may fix your issue, but it can also burn your stock wires if there is still a short or high amp draw that the stock wire gauge can't handle. If you used a set of regular low amp horns, I would start by checking all your connections, make sure they are tight and not making contact with the opposing terminal (negative touching positive), etc.

Good luck, I hope you can find the source of the problem.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys I installed the maxisound horns and followed my2016civic's guide. After a couple months my fuse constantly breaks any recommendations? (like it can honk like 15ish times then just breaks)
Did you use a relay wiring harness when you installed the horns?

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope directly to the system just like in my2016civic's guide. And I have the Wolo Maxi Sound 320-2T as my horns.
Try installing a relay wiring harness & redoing your connections. I bet you'll stop blowing your fuse.

Platypus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe LX-P
Thanks.. Certainly.. I'll give as much detail as I can, but I do not have any exact part numbers, sizes or gauges for the terminals since they came from an old open kit with no labels. I did try two sizes of the fork terminals (since the kit had several sizes) and found the perfect fit on the second try.

So, I wanted to leave the connector on the vehicle harness intact and my plan was to use the connector on the original horn (white) by removing it from the horn and tapping wires to that for the new horns, and plug into the vehicle harness as originally intended. Unfortunately, that turned out to be impossible without totally obliterating the horn, the connector and/or my hands. Not worth it, so I got creative. In looking at the connector on the harness and on the horn, I noticed it was just a simple two-prong connector (white). Nothing special. One for negative, one for positive.
IMG_1323a.jpg

So I looked around to see if I had anything that would fit and this is what I came up with. Two fork terminals, one for each side.
IMG_1323b.jpg

I planned on cutting off one the prongs from each (the outer prongs), but after taking a closer look, I noticed a groove on each side of the vehicle connector (black) and the outer prong of each of the fork terminals fit just perfectly, making a snug fit. So the inner prongs made the electrical connection, the outer prongs fit into the groves to keep them securely attached.
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG

I also happened to have a pair of Piggiback M&F terminals, and used those to make the bridge between one horn and the other.
IMG_1328.jpg

Connection: Fork end to the black vehicle terminal. Piggyback M&F end to horn #1
IMG_1327.JPG

Below is the connector from Vehicle Harness to Horn #1 and the two-wire jumper that connects one horn to the other (long)
IMG_1329.JPG

Once you've got the Fork end terminals to the black vehicle terminal and the Piggyback M&F end to horn #1, you can then connect one end of the long wires into the piggyback M&F terminal and the other end to horn #2
IMG_1330.JPG

Here is a picture with it all connected, just testing before making the connection to the car harness more permanent with electrical heat-shrink wrap (much better than electrical tape, but you may use that instead).
IMG_1332.JPG

So then to finalize it all, I positioned the harness and wires so that there was no pull on the connectors and they would not come loose from vibration, etc and did the heat shrink-wrap around the terminals and connectors.

DONE! No more Meep Beep!! :)
Can you explain or show how you took off the bumper? I already removed all the plugs, screws, and bolts but got stuck at the clips, I don't want to break any of them.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you explain or show how you took off the bumper? I already removed all the plugs, screws, and bolts but got stuck at the clips, I don't want to break any of them.
Yeah, that can be tricky. The link in my original post is no longer valid and the CivicX site won’t let me edit the post to update the link, it just gives a “internal server error”. I've already sent an email to the CivicX Webmaster on that.

So anyawy, in case you don’t already have the step by step instructions and illustrations on how to remove the front bumper, go to the link below (Fog light install instructions) and skip to page 5, Step #13 for the front bumper removal portion. www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2016/4dr/foglights.pdf

More specifically, the above instructions show the location of the clips on the bottom-left site of page 6. The clips do break easily if you simply try to pull the bumper off without releasing them. To release the bumper from the clips, you have to carefully pry at the spots indicated by the instructions and then pull simultaneously as you pry.

The masking tape may seem like overkill or unnecessary, but without it, the required prying will scratch the paint, so don't skip the masking tape.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
everytime I honk at someone I feel like they're laughing at me. The worst horn ever.

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
There has been a couple of times where I seriously considered putting a small train horn on my car. Be my luck I'd give someone a heart attack or something. :eek:

MaximusBKK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan + a few non-Hondas
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Many thanks to @My2016Civic for his guide, I used a variation on his idea for the homemade connector adapter. I set out to replace the horn with the same Wolo Maxi Sounds (even went and bought them), and ended up letting things get a bit out of hand. It started with a trip to the auto parts store to pick up the Maxi Sounds, and I ended up at the junkyard pulling the 4-note horn out of an old Cadillac Fleetwood. I had to get really creative with the placement, since there are 4 horns.

Original horn location placement:

Honda Civic 10th gen Any DIY guides on replacing the horn? pass horns

New location placement:

Honda Civic 10th gen Any DIY guides on replacing the horn? driv horns

Turned out to be quite the project, but completely worth it for me!

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NICE!! Love the sound of your 4 tone setup!! It almost sounds like a freight train!

I'm SO glad I got rid of the 'Meep Beep".. Well worth the effort!

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Wow, listening to MaximusBKK's video, the original horn sounds like a moped.
Sponsored