Any chance for a Hatchback SI?

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
The hatch in Si trim would be awesome. The black/gun metal wheels look a little tuffer too
Sponsored

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
is there any chance of them releasing a hatchback si in the future?
In the future... yes, in the current model generation... no.

It would be nice if the 11th gen Si came in a hatchback but I wouldn't hold off buying an Si now just in case. Logistics of the HB being done in Swindon and the Si's being done in NA complicates things I suspect.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Personally, the Sedan si looks like a hatchback, with thous terrible looking black things on both bumpers.. The coupe looks good from behind only... Sad really. Imo.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I can see two possible paths for a SI HB
1. If they offer the SI in the Euro market. I just can't see the SI compete in the very competitive Hot Hatch segment in Europe. So this one is not likely.
2. The HB outsells the sedan by alot forcing Honda to drop the sedan and thus move HB production to NA like jd2157 said.

Personally, I really don't see why there has to be a HB and a sedan. To me, the HB is better than the sedan in every way.

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
Personally, the Sedan si looks like a hatchback, with thous terrible looking black things on both bumpers.. The coupe looks good from behind only... Sad really. Imo.
Those bumpers are hideous. If it wasn't for those ugly cut outs, I'd be going for the 4 door.

The couple looks great all around imo tho

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can see two possible paths for a SI HB
1. If they offer the SI in the Euro market. I just can't see the SI compete in the very competitive Hot Hatch segment in Europe. So this one is not likely.
2. The HB outsells the sedan by alot forcing Honda to drop the sedan and thus move HB production to NA like jd2157 said.

Personally, I really don't see why there has to be a HB and a sedan. To me, the HB is better than the sedan in every way.
Agreed... the HB is far more practical and better looking imo. The only reason it exists is because of the NA preferences for sedans over HB. Which is unfortunate for those of us that want the additional storage. There's a reason Honda is building the HB overseas... in some countries it's 80-90% HB.

There's no reason Honda couldn't ditch the HB Sport and align with NA by doing an Si version, and maybe they will. I speculate they went the Sport route initially because they wanted to get Swindon up and running making as many HB Civics asap because the plant has historically been underutilized WRT capacity. I'm sure they knew the Si wouldn't be ready for production for a while and that they could get the Sport to market a lot faster.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Agreed... the HB is far more practical and better looking imo. The only reason it exists is because of the NA preferences for sedans over HB. Which is unfortunate for those of us that want the additional storage. There's a reason Honda is building the HB overseas... in some countries it's 80-90% HB.

There's no reason Honda couldn't ditch the HB Sport and align with NA by doing an Si version, and maybe they will. I speculate they went the Sport route initially because they wanted to get Swindon up and running making as many HB Civics asap because the plant has historically been underutilized WRT capacity. I'm sure they knew the Si wouldn't be ready for production for a while and that they could get the Sport to market a lot faster.
I don't know if Honda think NA will prefer the sedan over the HB. I think it's more like they're afraid to change too much on the best selling Civic body style. If it ain't broke, don't fix it attitude probably.

It's easy for Honda to do a HB Sport because it has the exact same body as all the other HBs. So all that required is to change the engine slightly. To do a HB SI would be much more involved. You're talking about a brand new body structure. so for that reason, I think it's unlikely they will do it unless they also offer it in other markets or if they move production to NA.

Personally, I'd take a HB SI over the other two any day.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
Personally I think they could do HB on a limited run with a markup. That is just me though. It does seem like a lot of people probably would've preferred a HB over a sedan. HB SI and I wouldn't be driving a GTI probably. Oh well. Eager to see how Honda did the gears and turbo throttle. Much better visibility with a HB not to mention extra room over a sedan.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know if Honda think NA will prefer the sedan over the HB. I think it's more like they're afraid to change too much on the best selling Civic body style. If it ain't broke, don't fix it attitude probably.

It's easy for Honda to do a HB Sport because it has the exact same body as all the other HBs. So all that required is to change the engine slightly. To do a HB SI would be much more involved. You're talking about a brand new body structure. so for that reason, I think it's unlikely they will do it unless they also offer it in other markets or if they move production to NA.

Personally, I'd take a HB SI over the other two any day.
If NA preferred the HB Honda wouldn't have stopped selling them here. The HB was available in NA until 2005. HB cars have been doing well in the recent past so Honda brought the Civic HB back... hopefully to stay.

The Si changes could arguably be carried over to the HB without that much trouble. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do it for the 11th gen. They had a lot of new cars to get out the door lately, so I think they did a little corner cutting on the Si HB. Once things have stabilized hopefully they'll do an Si HB. It's killing me to see the cargo capacity differences... up here the Si sedan is 379L (13.4 cu ft, which is odd since honda.com says 14.7 cu ft) vs. 727L (25.7 cu ft).

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
It usually comes down to demand. If the hatchback variants sell more than expected we might see one. I wonder how the hatch is selling?
Anecdotal evidence, so take it for what it's worth. Up here in Canada hatches are strong sellers. I've been seeing them a lot these days. A few weeks ago a neighbour down the street got a red sport, and just today i saw a white sport parked at the office next to mine. Not to mention the now daily sightings on the highway to and from work.

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bet Honda puts a few changes on the Civic for 2018.. sales are declining. Definitely 2019-2020 sensing will become standard since Toyota did last year.
Sponsored