Any 2020 Civic Type R arrived at dealerships?

Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
The only advantage to trading in, is that you'll pay less in taxes for your new car. Buy a $40,000 car and trade in your old one for $20,000 and you only pay taxes on $20,000. But, do the math. They will probably offer you $5,000 less than your used car is worth because they need to make a profit when they sell that, too.

Rarely will you come out ahead by trading in.
If I live in tax free state then it means it's a bad deal?
Sponsored

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
If you live in a tax free state, throw everything I said out the window. Sell on your own and negotiate the best deal that you can for the CTR.

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
Yes. In a taxed state, you'd save the taxes on the difference between your new car and your trade value. In a tax-free state, zero reason to do a trade unless you don't want the hassle and don't mind handing the dealer $5,000 profit.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Is buying without trading in better than trading in?
Does the trade-in help with the markups?
If the trade-in is favorable configuration and will definitely sell, will this give more negotiating power?
I’m a little late to join the conversation....

Agree with SSchmed. But tax benefit also depends on your state. Pretty sure CA doesn’t give you any tax benefit. What state are you in?

Agree on the price of the car then introduce the potential trade.

Know what your car is really worth as a trade and if you were to sell it yourself.

Regardless of the spec, the dealer will likely off much less than what you could sell it for.

Don’t get screwed on the car and trade.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
guarantee you if you walk in today to any honda dealership, they will knock off few grand off the price.

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
Keeping an eye on Autotrader and it appears that 2020s are slowly rolling into dealerships. There were 31 for sale across the country, then 33, 34, now 39. Mostly East and West coast, but some in the fly-over country.

Interestingly, cargurus.com has zero 2020s, so I guess most dealerships prefer Autotrader.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Keeping an eye on Autotrader and it appears that 2020s are slowly rolling into dealerships. There were 31 for sale across the country, then 33, 34, now 39. Mostly East and West coast, but some in the fly-over country.

Interestingly, cargurus.com has zero 2020s, so I guess most dealerships prefer Autotrader.
My understanding is that cars are uploaded into Autotrader 'automatically', even before they arrive at dealers and even if they are pre-sold.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
guarantee you if you walk in today to any honda dealership, they will knock off few grand off the price.
That's just not true for 'any' Honda dealership and the CTR. And 'a few grand' is the difference between MSRP and Invoice.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
That's just not true for 'any' Honda dealership and the CTR. And 'a few grand' is the difference between MSRP and Invoice.
100% correct. And with limited supply, pent up demand and lack of profits for a month (or more), there may be LESS flexibility with pricing.

Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
100% correct. And with limited supply, pent up demand and lack of profits for a month (or more), there may be LESS flexibility with pricing.
That's assuming there is a strong demand like when it came out back in 2017. There are still a lot of new 2019 that have not been sold, and I doubt people will pay 2-3k above MSRP during current situation.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
I’ve seen a few listed on dealer websites. There are a ton that just have the cars listed, as for sale. I don’t believe anything until I see the cars on the lot. Venice Honda has a white one. I’ve seen a SGP one, listed for sale on a website, I believe it was in Florida. There is also a red one, with real pictures, for sale. I’ve yet to see a Boost Blue one, on a lot, online, but here’s CW one, on the east coast (Venice Honda)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/807926648/overview?aff=share_other

typeRtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve seen a few listed on dealer websites. There are a ton that just have the cars listed, as for sale. I don’t believe anything until I see the cars on the lot. Venice Honda has a white one. I’ve seen a SGP one, listed for sale on a website, I believe it was in Florida. There is also a red one, with real pictures, for sale. I’ve yet to see a Boost Blue one, on a lot, online, but here’s CW one, on the east coast (Venice Honda)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/807926648/overview?aff=share_other
can u send the link to the SGP one that you saw? Been searching everyday for pics of one.

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have been lurking this site since 2014. Now that my 2020 CTR is firmly on it's way (have the full VIN), it was time to join this enthusiastic forum.
This household's previous '98 Integra Type R (DB8 - bought new) was a total joy to drive. Sadly, #3 son wrecked after only 2 years.
Went to dealership, back in 2014, to place a deposit as I gambled that the FK2 would come to NA. Didn't happen so waited and when the FK8 arrived in 2017, just couldn't get used to the fake f&r bumpers. Decided to wait and luckily the mild redesign was done!!! Truthfully, even if Honda had no 2020 upgrades, still would've gotten a CTR as it was the last of the UK Swindon plant.
Originally have always been partial to Championship White. My 4 sons convinced me not to "live in the past", therefore my first blue car ever (new or used).

Timeline of events:
2/10/20:
Dealer e-mailed that he put in my order early last week. 1st Allocation was assigned, and, my name is on the first Championship White arriving. The vehicles in that shipment are all committed.
Am willing to wait, so, gave the dealer a phone call he confirmed that my name will be on top for the 2nd allocation for BBlue. Delivery expected to happen around June. Canadian pricing not available yet.

2/26/20
Dealer called 2/24 that Canadian price released.
MSRP $43,690 Illumination pkg. $411 Freight: $1,780 Total = CND$45,881 (US$33,986) + taxes/license
Am re-writing the Bill of Sale this PM to reflect that's what I'll be paying and nothing more. Will consider adding interior illumination + rubber floor/boot mats. Delivery may be as early as April! Excitement level is building!!!
Result of meeting w/ dealer:
Moved me up to the first allocation. They threw in all the rubber mats including the boot area and 1/2 for all the interior illumination CND$411 ( my share).
Other news (for the Canadian market): a. GM mentioned that 2021 Limited Edition will be allocated by Honda Canada. Supposedly, buyers have to log onto the mfg'r site and register interest. b. There may not be another CTR ( for Canada) after the FK8.

3/26/20
Dealer informed yesterday that they were allocated 5 units in the 1st shipment. 4 C.White and 1 Black. No Boost Blue. Hoping that production stoppage at Swindon didn't affect the 2nd allocation and that a B. Blue is included. The wait continues!!!

3/30/20
Dealer emailed today. Only one Boost Blue coming in next allocation which has landed at the East Coast port today. It's MINE!!! VIN # sent. ETA for delivery is approx. 4th week in April. Getting closer!!!

With being on Covid lockdown, have been busy shopping online spending my hard earned savings on OEM accessories (e.g. cargo net, organizer etc...). Even had a car cover done up which I'm eager to share. Will post pics.

Last edited:

4doorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Have been lurking this site since 2014. Now that my 2020 CTR is firmly on it's way (have the full VIN), it was time to join this enthusiastic forum.
This household's previous '98 Integra Type R (DB8 - bought new) was a total joy to drive. Sadly, #3 son wrecked after only 2 years.
Went to dealership, back in 2014, to place a deposit as I gambled that the FK2 would come to NA. Didn't happen so waited and when the FK8 arrived in 2017, just couldn't get used to the fake f&r bumpers. Decided to wait and luckily the mild redesign was done!!! Truthfully, even if Honda had no 2020 upgrades, would've still gotten a CTR as it was the last of of the UK Swindon plant.
Originally have always been partial to Championship White. My 4 sons convinced me not to "live in the past", therefore my first blue car ever (new or used).

Timeline of events:
2/10/20:
Dealer e-mailed that he put in my order early last week. 1st Allocation was assigned, and, my name is on the first Championship White arriving. The vehicles in that 1st shipment are all committed.
Am willing to wait, so, gave the dealer a phone call he confirmed that my name will be on top for the 2nd allocation for BBlue. Delivery expected to happen around June. Canadian pricing not available yet.

2/26/20
Dealer called 2/24 that Canadian price released.
MSRP $43,690 Boost Blue $500 Freight: $1,780 Total = CND$45,970 + taxes/license
Am re-writing the Bill of Sale this PM to reflect that's what I'll be paying and nothing more. Will consider adding interior illumination + rubber floor/boot mats. Delivery may be as early as April! Excitement level is building!!!
Result of meeting w/ dealer:
Moved me up to the first allocation. One buyer didn't want to pay extra for B.Blue. They threw in all the rubber mats including the boot area and 1/2 for all the interior illumination CND$411 ( my share).
Other news (for the Canadian market): a. GM mentioned that 2021 Limited Edition will be allocated by Honda Canada. Supposedly, buyers have to log onto the mfg'r site and register interest. b. There may not be another CTR ( for Canada) after the FK8.

3/26/20
Dealer informed yesterday that they were allocated 5 units in the 1st shipment. 4 C.White and 1 Black. No Boost Blue. Hoping that production stoppage at Swindon didn't affect the 2nd allocation and that a B. Blue is included. The wait continues!!!

3/30/20
Dealer emailed today. Only one Boost Blue coming in next allocation which has landed at the East Coast port today. VIN # sent. ETA for delivery is approx. 4th week in April. Getting closer!!!

With being on Covid lockdown, have been busy shopping online spending my hard earned savings on OEM accessories (e.g. cargo net, organizer etc...). Even had a car cover done up which I'm eager to share. Will post pics.
Sweet congrats!
Thanks for the updates I'm always interested in how it's going for everyone in Canada.

typeRtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
congrats! the wait will be well worth it. I too cannot stand the vents on mine and am patiently waiting for my sonic grey pearl 2020 to arrive at a local dealer. I've had the rally red since November of '19 but its too much for me. Plus all the new upgrades for 2020 make it well worth the trade in.

Please send some pictures once you get your boost blue!
Sponsored