Any 2020 Civic Type R arrived at dealerships?

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
Just signed for a 2020 CW! ETA 5/31. If I had bought three days earlier, I would have already had one, but it sold the very next day.

Super excited!
Congrats. My BB was suppose to arrive over last 2 weeks to dealer. Still sitting at port tho in Maryland. Really hoping it comes this week
Sponsored

WhisperPickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats. My BB was suppose to arrive over last 2 weeks to dealer. Still sitting at port tho in Maryland. Really hoping it comes this week
My car was also sitting at the Baltimore lot for about a month before my dealer GM "got the car released from Honda " Not sure how much of that was actually within the dealer's control. After it was released, it took two days to make the ~500 mi trip to me.

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
@WhisperPickle all the dealers in my area have Rs "in transit ", somehow 1 dealer got a red one in few days ago. But rest didnt get theirs.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Just signed for a 2020 CW! ETA 5/31. If I had bought three days earlier, I would have already had one, but it sold the very next day.

Super excited!
I have an RDX A Spec and CTR as well. They're both a real pleasure to own and drive. Congrats

Samurai999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05ā€™ Sti, ā€˜20 Type R
Country flag
Hi all. First time poster and am looking around for a 2020 in NorCal. Iā€™d like a CW, but am willing to make exceptions.

What markups have you guys been good with when buying the car? Obviously msrp is ideal, but the best I have seen is $3k. True car is saying that up to 3% markup is a ā€œgood dealā€.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Hi all. First time poster and am looking around for a 2020 in NorCal. Iā€™d like a CW, but am willing to make exceptions.

What markups have you guys been good with when buying the car? Obviously msrp is ideal, but the best I have seen is $3k. True car is saying that up to 3% markup is a ā€œgood dealā€.
A good deal is what YOU want to pay. I wanted to pay less than MSRP, so I waited for a "good deal" and got it for less than MSRP. I refused to buy when I was living in California as all ADM pricing. I wasn't going to pay MSRP or more.

Samurai999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05ā€™ Sti, ā€˜20 Type R
Country flag
A good deal is what YOU want to pay. I wanted to pay less than MSRP, so I waited for a "good deal" and got it for less than MSRP. I refused to buy when I was living in California as all ADM pricing. I wasn't going to pay MSRP or more.
Absolutely. I really want MSRP and itā€™s becoming battle of wits and patience with the Honda dealers in NorCal. Theyā€™ve come up with every explanation in the book from CW being the favorite color, BB being new, pandemic is screwing with our supply chain, Honda has stopped producing the Type R, etc. Perhaps I can wait a bit since all NorCal dealers are expecting deliveries to see who drops the ball or bails on their deposit? *shrug*

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
2020 Championship White CTR just arrived in Sheboygan, WI. MSRP. Ask for Gary Meyer at International Honda Sheboygan.

Car is awesome!

Honda Civic 10th gen Any 2020 Civic Type R arrived at dealerships? 20200512_185345

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
..............really want MSRP and itā€™s becoming battle of wits and patience............come up with every explanation in the book......wait a bit since all NorCal dealers are expecting deliveries.............
IMO, your desire to pay MSRP, is being very fair for any dealer. The current explanations/excuses given all have some truth to them up to a certain degree. Mostly due to inventories that have not yet accumulated on their lots.
Focus on the bigger Honda dealerships as their allocations are larger. Make your offers with a deposit on hand towards the end of the month. It's the time Sales managers and reps push for deals "out the door" for monthly sales volume bonus incentives.
Remember, even at MSRP, majority of dealers are very creative in adding on other profit oriented charges (e.g. Doc Fee, Legal Fee, Stocking Fee, forced accessories/services, etc........)
Consider broadening your search area. Your willingness to travel and take delivery out-of-state could save thousands.
Lots of posts from forum members who got the deal they were happy with. Be patient, put continued effort searching and rewards will be forthcoming. Good luck!!!

Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
According to reddit post from car salesman, they get a percentage of the gross profit, something like 25% of the gross if the gross is over $1000. Sometimes they get additional bonus if the gross is over $3k-5k. This varies from dealer to dealer but usually this is the reason salesperson adds random stuff in additional to MSRP. Buying at MSRP already means they are getting the gross profit (gross = MSRP - Invoice) but some dealers will try to add ADMs to hit the next bonus amount.

In times of pandemic, the car sales are down means price will be lower, meaning salesperson makes less money from normal car sales. An enthusiast and rarer cars like CTR is where they try to make the most out of it to fill the gap caused by poor sales.

The best strategy to overcome this is to inquire around the end of the month and the most desperate dealer will let you go with MSRP or even lower.

Last edited:

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Absolutely. I really want MSRP and itā€™s becoming battle of wits and patience with the Honda dealers in NorCal. Theyā€™ve come up with every explanation in the book from CW being the favorite color, BB being new, pandemic is screwing with our supply chain, Honda has stopped producing the Type R, etc. Perhaps I can wait a bit since all NorCal dealers are expecting deliveries to see who drops the ball or bails on their deposit? *shrug*
I bought my '19 last summer in NorCal and also couldn't avoid any markups. The only color without markups was Red which I didn't want. I investigated going out of state, but after shipping/gas/flights it wasn't going to save me all that much over the 3k ADM I could find. NorCal is hard since there are so few dealers, the demand is HIGH, and they all are holding together to keep the ADM.

It really comes down to what's worth it to you. You can probably save the ADM's if you can get one out of state, but the time and work to get it back may be worth more/less to you than just paying the ADMs.

Samurai999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05ā€™ Sti, ā€˜20 Type R
Country flag
I bought my '19 last summer in NorCal and also couldn't avoid any markups. The only color without markups was Red which I didn't want. I investigated going out of state, but after shipping/gas/flights it wasn't going to save me all that much over the 3k ADM I could find. NorCal is hard since there are so few dealers, the demand is HIGH, and they all are holding together to keep the ADM.

It really comes down to what's worth it to you. You can probably save the ADM's if you can get one out of state, but the time and work to get it back may be worth more/less to you than just paying the ADMs.
I think I researched the out of state costs and with combinations of shipping, driving or flying to another state killed that idea as well. I am open to going to SoCal but it seems like they want to hold to the ADMs For now.

if I go the route of waiting (which looks likely for now), Iā€™ll really be honing in on the miles on any cars in stock and hope that it hasnā€™t been on any test drives. I thought special cars like the type R couldnā€™t be test driven, but some dealers have offered it when I called.

Regardless, as you say, it all boils down to how much I want this car and the worth. I can sit back and say ā€œi still have my 05 sti, and get to drive my dadā€™s ā€˜71 zā€ and be quite content, but the type R IMO is also something special. I might as well give it a try, right?

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
I think I researched the out of state costs and with combinations of shipping, driving or flying to another state killed that idea as well. I am open to going to SoCal but it seems like they want to hold to the ADMs For now.

if I go the route of waiting (which looks likely for now), Iā€™ll really be honing in on the miles on any cars in stock and hope that it hasnā€™t been on any test drives. I thought special cars like the type R couldnā€™t be test driven, but some dealers have offered it when I called.

Regardless, as you say, it all boils down to how much I want this car and the worth. I can sit back and say ā€œi still have my 05 sti, and get to drive my dadā€™s ā€˜71 zā€ and be quite content, but the type R IMO is also something special. I might as well give it a try, right?
Similar experience with SoCal as well. Unfortunately for those of use in CA it's going to be very hard to get an R at MSRP unless you have a connection to a sales person who's willing to skip on bonus money to let you get one without ADMs.

I couldn't get a test drive on an R even after a credit check. Purchased my car with 9 miles on the OD. There are a few people looking to sell low mile used R's as well which might be good option. I was coming from my 03 sti, and I'm still very happy with the upgrade.
Sponsored