Anti-Lag Safety Quesrion

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Howdy all. Super quick question: I am starting to play around with the Anti-Lag feature, and after doing some research online, it appears that I may need to get a more robust exhaust system in order to handle it. Does anyone have any info on this and any things that I should do to ensure that I can use the feature safely?

Apologies for my ignorance.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Howdy all. Super quick question: I am starting to play around with the Anti-Lag feature, and after doing some research online, it appears that I may need to get a more robust exhaust system in order to handle it. Does anyone have any info on this and any things that I should do to ensure that I can use the feature safely?

Apologies for my ignorance.
I've done a lot of reading on it too... as I hadn't really heard of it before this car. I'd be more worried about the turbine blades than the exhaust itself, so far as components are concerned. If you don't have a catless aftermarket down pipe, it may be sucesptible to damage. We've got an intergrated manifold, so I don't know that it's going to have the issue like the individual headers used to have.

Someone else with more experience will hopefully chime in... but in a word... turbo. Lots of stuff on the internet about it. I'm sure there is a balance between excessive use/abuse and using it now and then on a warm car just as needed to make it go. You are essentially letting the combustion happen outside the combustion chamber and where your relatively fragile turbine blades are.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anti-Lag Safety Quesrion MrQ7X

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've done a lot of reading on it too... as I hadn't really heard of it before this car. I'd be more worried about the turbine blades than the exhaust itself, so far as components are concerned. If you don't have a catless aftermarket down pipe, it may be sucesptible to damage. We've got an intergrated manifold, so I don't know that it's going to have the issue like the individual headers used to have.

Someone else with more experience will hopefully chime in... but in a word... turbo. Lots of stuff on the internet about it. I'm sure there is a balance between excessive use/abuse and using it now and then on a warm car just as needed to make it go. You are essentially letting the combustion happen outside the combustion chamber and where your relatively fragile turbine blades are.

MrQ7X.jpg
Thanks for the info. I wonder what the trigger for Anti-Lag is? Do I need to put the throttle to the floor? Would revving to exactly my 2 step setting activate it? Or would even a little throttle to get me going in 1st cause boost to build a bit?

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I wonder what the trigger for Anti-Lag is? Do I need to put the throttle to the floor? Would revving to exactly my 2 step setting activate it? Or would even a little throttle to get me going in 1st cause boost to build a bit?
turn it on in the advanced features.. set your 2 step at 4000 and your als to 3500.. -6.5 degrees and it builds about 7 to 8 psi

However... using als... remember... if you damage your turbo.. it won't be cheap to fix.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/anti_lag.htm

Looks like you enable it... set your desired RPM, then add the timing retard value so your causing spark so late, you're letting the burning fuel go out the open exhaust valves (cringe...) through the cats... turbo... and out the pipes. As long as you're engine speed is up higher than anti-lag, it'll be engaged at a standstill. You oughta have it set ~500 RPM under launch. I think it's 0 for retard by default. They recommend -5 and adjust from there to get boost.

The more you retard your timing, you more boost/popping/stress you will likely achieve. The car oughta richen the mix too... maybe this is done automatically by selecting it.

A good thread... info on the 3rd page.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/anti-lag-update.17065/page-3

If you try it... good luck. Let me know how it goes.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Remember... Ktuner gave us the tools and means to blow ourselves up, if we so desire. It is functionality we get to mess with.

Those sharp concussive pops coming out the pipes on vehicles all over the internet are cars who were allowing an explosion to occur outside the combustion chamber and run through the turbo to build a little boost for a better launch. Im sure it does help eliminate lag for better launch... though after the initial moment of lag... I have a lower 1st gear boost limit because of insufficient traction at high boost levels. I'd use it sparingly... and see if really aggressive launches at the edge of traction allow boost to build anyway with the tiny turbo once the engine has some load on it. It's threshold is crazy low. I can see it being useful for a car drag racing that has an 7000 RPM limit, that cant hit peak boost until 5000 RPM and has pretty crappy power until then.

Just my opinion. It's not a function I'm interested in trying on mine. Good luck. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks guys. In this case, I'm playing around with Vit's Stage 1, which has Anti-Lag enabled by default. I don't think that I can disable it, but it sound like as long as I don't hit the set RPM value for the Anti-Lag while in neutral, I should be ok.

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Remember... Ktuner gave us the tools and means to blow ourselves up, if we so desire. It is functionality we get to mess with.

Those sharp concussive pops coming out the pipes on vehicles all over the internet are cars who were allowing an explosion to occur outside the combustion chamber and run through the turbo to build a little boost for a better launch. Im sure it does help eliminate lag for better launch... though after the initial moment of lag... I have a lower 1st gear boost limit because of insufficient traction at high boost levels. I'd use it sparingly... and see if really aggressive launches at the edge of traction allow boost to build anyway with the tiny turbo once the engine has some load on it. It's threshold is crazy low. I can see it being useful for a car drag racing that has an 7000 RPM limit, that cant hit peak boost until 5000 RPM and has pretty crappy power until then.

Just my opinion. It's not a function I'm interested in trying on mine. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Prl installed the type r turbo and the torque power and hp came in later throughout the rpm rang because it's a bigger turbo.

More hp and less torque.. easier on the engine. So less of people bending rods

Chilidog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic SI coupe
Country flag
***REVIVE***
Is there any hope for a quicker spool w/o damaging anything?

I am FBO (CATTED dp,fp, catback exhaust,fmic,cai,ffk, rv6 turbo) on my SI

I AM DYING for a quicker spool. Can’t hit 28psi until 4K and really want more low-end

don’t get me wrong, I’m happy w/ power output@ high end

but I’m now addicted to mods — what do I do for more power???

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a different car. Unless you want to start motor swapping.

Sha4KuR-x

First Name
Esteban Lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
***REVIVE***
Is there any hope for a quicker spool w/o damaging anything?

I am FBO (CATTED dp,fp, catback exhaust,fmic,cai,ffk, rv6 turbo) on my SI

I AM DYING for a quicker spool. Can’t hit 28psi until 4K and really want more low-end

don’t get me wrong, I’m happy w/ power output@ high end

but I’m now addicted to mods — what do I do for more power???

how do i raise the psi? you help me ?