Another "Whats that sound?" thread

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,380
Location
215
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Anyone know what's going on here? This comes and goes but has been sticking around more so often than not lately. It's not the debris behind the dust shield thing.

99% of the time, it happens when the wheel is turned left, going forwards or backwards, and the other 1% is when going over bumps. Driver side front.

Sponsored

 

Jeffers

Senior Member
First Name
Jeffers
Joined
Oct 10, 2019
Threads
17
Messages
597
Reaction score
505
Location
Long Beach, CA
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Great video to show the problem.
I would think that if you pulled the wheel and caliper off you would find some witness marks of the rubbing.
It's a long duration noise with wheel rotation when it happens, so I would think somethings rubbing on the rotor.
 
OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,380
Location
215
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Great video to show the problem.
I would think that if you pulled the wheel and caliper off you would find some witness marks of the rubbing.
It's a long duration noise with wheel rotation when it happens, so I would think somethings rubbing on the rotor.
i've had the wheels off plenty of times since this problem began and I never saw anything. The only place I haven't seen would be the inside of the rotor as the dust shield covers the entire thing.
 

Russgolfs

Member
First Name
Russ
Joined
Oct 25, 2017
Threads
1
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
Hawaii
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1941 Chevrolet, 2017 Camaro ZL1
Country flag
i've had the wheels off plenty of times since this problem began and I never saw anything. The only place I haven't seen would be the inside of the rotor as the dust shield covers the entire thing.
My 2017 does it. Two dealers can't find the problem and it's hard to duplicate when I take it in to the dealers.
 

Jeffers

Senior Member
First Name
Jeffers
Joined
Oct 10, 2019
Threads
17
Messages
597
Reaction score
505
Location
Long Beach, CA
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
i've had the wheels off plenty of times since this problem began and I never saw anything. The only place I haven't seen would be the inside of the rotor as the dust shield covers the entire thing.
Please let us know if you take the caliper & rotor off and see any witness marks. Or if you find the problem.
Thanks,
 


SiGeddy

Senior Member
First Name
Geddy
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Threads
9
Messages
167
Reaction score
86
Location
Bakersfield
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
My 2017 does it. Two dealers can't find the problem and it's hard to duplicate when I take it in to the dealers.
Bro me too. I drove with that sound from 11k to 17k and I had my tires rotated again and it just kinda went away
 

EasyPickins

Member
Joined
May 28, 2017
Threads
10
Messages
40
Reaction score
19
Location
California
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Anyone know what's going on here? This comes and goes but has been sticking around more so often than not lately. It's not the debris behind the dust shield thing.

99% of the time, it happens when the wheel is turned left, going forwards or backwards, and the other 1% is when going over bumps. Driver side front.

As mentioned, sounds like your front pads are rubbing on the rotors. Had something very similar happen at 20K. Brought it into Honda, they resurfaced them and the sound is now gone. The warranty covered the repair.
 
OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,380
Location
215
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
As mentioned, sounds like your front pads are rubbing on the rotors. Had something very similar happen at 20K. Brought it into Honda, they resurfaced them and the sound is now gone. The warranty covered the repair.
At the dealership right now. Will report back.
 
OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,380
Location
215
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Tech says it's the brake shims. Gotta bring the car back next week to get them replaced along with my drivers seat cover replaced.
 

pennywize182

New Member
First Name
Jesse
Joined
May 11, 2019
Threads
1
Messages
4
Reaction score
9
Location
abbotsford canada
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Tech says it's the brake shims. Gotta bring the car back next week to get them replaced along with my drivers seat cover replaced.
i had the same problem 2 times now. the first time i pulled the wheel off in the dark and took the caliper off. didnt see anything put it back on, sound went away... 6 weeks later its suddenly back! this time i pulled it off in the day light and found the retaining clip for the front left (only making noise when turn left) was showing wear as it was just clipping the rotor. I reset the caliper and pushed the clip back into its proper place. haven't had the noise in about 4 months now!
 


ricoxg

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Threads
20
Messages
127
Reaction score
56
Location
Los Angeles
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
1
Country flag
It is probably the brake shims. Take a flat head and hammer and tap it a few millimeters. You don't even have to take your wheel off. I had the same problem.
 

aighead

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Threads
16
Messages
548
Reaction score
344
Location
Dayton, OH
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
There are several other threads about this and unfortunately some dealers see the problem and some don't. Mine seems worse when its warmish, only when my steering wheel is anywhere left of center. Sometimes it's quiet but noticeable, sometimes it's the most terrible noise ever. I would think, since this seems common enough that Honda would do a voluntary recall to fix any cars that have the issue, because it makes Honda look, and sound!, like crap. I get embarrassed when it's screaming but don't have a lot of time to take it to the dealer.
 
OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,380
Location
215
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
There are several other threads about this and unfortunately some dealers see the problem and some don't. Mine seems worse when its warmish, only when my steering wheel is anywhere left of center. Sometimes it's quiet but noticeable, sometimes it's the most terrible noise ever. I would think, since this seems common enough that Honda would do a voluntary recall to fix any cars that have the issue, because it makes Honda look, and sound!, like crap. I get embarrassed when it's screaming but don't have a lot of time to take it to the dealer.
Yeah nothing like parking my car and making a scene for all the wrong reasons.
 
OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,380
Location
215
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Tech asked me if I used a screw driver on the shims. I did not lol. Crazy it got that way somehow without me trying to fix it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Another "Whats that sound?" thread Attach1290_20191125_102635


Honda Civic 10th gen Another "Whats that sound?" thread Attach1284_20191125_102256
 

aighead

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Threads
16
Messages
548
Reaction score
344
Location
Dayton, OH
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Tech asked me if I used a screw driver on the shims. I did not lol. Crazy it got that way somehow without me trying to fix it.
So was it rubbing on the outside rim of the rotor, making the terrible noise? I'm heading into the dealership right now and may show this picture... Did the new one solve the problem? My comes and goes so frequently that it's difficult to diagnose...
Sponsored

 


 


Top