DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I had to do 4 rodent repairs this week. The cost really depends on the dealership and how the work is being paid for. If it's an out of pocket repair, I will typically repair the damage. If it is an insurance claim, we will typically replace the entire harness. Replacing the entire harness is the proper repair Honda would like see done every time but that will usually be to the tune of a few thousand dollars for something I can fix with a soldering iron and some shrink tubing. We keep the old insurance job wiring harnesses as donor parts for rodent repairs for the customer pay cars.

The Honda rodent tape does not have poison laced in it, despite having a little cartoon print of a dead rat on the tape. It is laced with capsaicin, the same stuff in hot peppers and pepper spray. I have seen just about every "rodent deterrent" used ever. Bars of soap, drier sheets, the little electronic chirp boxes. The soap bars do not work, I've seen the rats eat the soap too lol. The drier sheets sometimes work. The chirp boxes do seem to work. They are INSANELY annoying though.

If you had a rodent repair done be sure to clean the engine bay very well with some degreaser/cleaner like a simple green or similar. You want to clean the engine bay of any remnants of rodent droppings and scents. If you don't, they will return. I've had it happen to customers several times, rodents eating the repair the very next day.

Honda doesn't warranty this as it's considered an "act of god" type failure, it's not a design flaw that is meant to attract the rodents. I've seen the rodents chew under-hood insulation covers, intake boots, cv boots, they eat anything. Just about all manufactures use this soy based wiring insulation now. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, the list goes on. They've made this jump because it is cheaper than oil based but mostly due to the environmental green movement. Oil bad, soy good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Has anyone tried an electronic rodent repellent? I got one for Christmas that I put in my lawnmower. Last winter the mice completely took over the engine with a nest and even after cleaning it out, the mower smelled of mice urine the entire summer. I hope this will work. I will find out come Spring.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
It had been about 3 months so yesterday I opened my hood and they had just started in again. Insulation from the garage and a couple acorns. I got out the peppermint again and sprayed the engine compartment down. It does work pretty well and you need to keep after it about every 2-3 months.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This has been a problem since day one on the 10th gen. Just search rodent chewed wires and I'll bet you'll find multiple threads. Soy based wire insulation which let's hope they got rid of on the 11th.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Is there a permanent fix (besides culling the rat population)? As much as I consider myself a gearhead, I'm also lazy. I did not buy the Civic new, and the Carfax shows a clean record. So I should cross my fingers and buy some peppermint oil.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Is there a permanent fix (besides culling the rat population)? As much as I consider myself a gearhead, I'm also lazy. I did not buy the Civic new, and the Carfax shows a clean record. So I should cross my fingers and buy some peppermint oil.
Well until you hear of a permanent fix I would buy some peppermint oil. About $7 on Amazon from what I remember. Just keep it mixed up in a spray bottle and 10 minutes of a spray down every couple months isn't bad.

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Well until you hear of a permanent fix I would buy some peppermint oil. About $7 on Amazon from what I remember. Just keep it mixed up in a spray bottle and 10 minutes of a spray down every couple months isn't bad.
Is "a couple of months" enough? I mean I don't know if the peppermint oil spray will stay for more than a couple of days.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Is "a couple of months" enough? I mean I don't know if the peppermint oil spray will stay for more than a couple of days.
Well all I can tell you is that it's been working for me. I haven't looked in a couple weeks. I'll take a look tomorrow.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
-11 degrees here in New Hampshire this morning. This is when the mice tend to want to build their nest around and on top of the motor. I just looked and zero sign of the critters. Peppermint oil does work. It's probably best to clean and dry the motor before putting it on so it will stay on better.

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
I just found some rodent droppings on my in cabin filter so now I'm worried about wires getting chewed. Thankfully everything is working OK right now but I want to keep it that way. I got peppermint spray and went crazy with it and am buying some ultrasonic emitters.

I saw the post about spraying the engine down with simple green. Any tips on cleaning an engine this way? What should I cover up? Battery, alternator, intake. Anything else? How deep should I get in there with the water and simple green?

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I just found some rodent droppings on my in cabin filter so now I'm worried about wires getting chewed. Thankfully everything is working OK right now but I want to keep it that way. I got peppermint spray and went crazy with it and am buying some ultrasonic emitters.

I saw the post about spraying the engine down with simple green. Any tips on cleaning an engine this way? What should I cover up? Battery, alternator, intake. Anything else? How deep should I get in there with the water and simple green?
Wow! Got all the way to your cabin filter? Bastards! I used Gunk to clean my motor. Seemed to be fine. I covered my alt and stuffed a plastic bag in my intake. Just spray down the engine about every 6 weeks and all should be good.

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wow! Got all the way to your cabin filter? Bastards! I used Gunk to clean my motor. Seemed to be fine. I covered my alt and stuffed a plastic bag in my intake. Just spray down the engine about every 6 weeks and all should be good.
Yeah I have no idea how! I parked the car in my friends garage for a week when I went on vacation, so I am hoping it happened there. I have never had any other evidence of mice.

Thanks for the tips. Will do exactly that.
Sponsored