Another right rear rattle thread...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T - 6M
Hi there. I'm new here, but have been a car guy for quite some time. We recently got a '17 Civic coupe (back in Dec.). So far we love the car, but late last week we started noticing the rattle noise from the right rear that seems to be somewhat common. The right rear bumper gap where it meets the quarter panel is definitely tighter than the left side. I can get it to squeak every once in a while by jiggling the bumper. However, for the sake of being thorough, I put the car on a lift and went over the underside with the proverbial fine-toothed comb. I found a couple things that might be alternative possibilities...

In several spots that big huge felt sound-deadening panel wasn't secured particularly well and could conceivably have been slapping against the body at highway speeds. I temporarily secured those spots. However, I believe the primary culprit may have been the mid-ships exhaust heat shield. I'm gonna try posting a couple videos of what I found there.

Basically, that heat shield was not installed well. The right side was "compressed" slightly which put a bow in the aluminum. If very light upward pressure was applied to the right spot, the bow would snap upward and clank against the underside of the body. I also put a temporary test fix on this and the right rear rattle seems to be gone.

FWIW, if you have Honda fix your rattle by felt-taping the bumper mounting clips, and the sound comes back... here are some other places to have them look. Hope this helps.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T - 6M
Here's the temporary fix. This seems to have worked. Rattle is currently gone...

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
Thanks for posting this. I have a 2016 civic EX-T coupe as well purchased in December and haven't noticed this yet (4000 miles). But I'm having some work done on my car Wednesday so I am going to ask him to inspect this part of the heat shield while the car is up.

chinchilla978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic 2.0L Coupe
Country flag
Hi, could this be a head shield related noise? I notice it coming from right below the center dash. It takes certain rpms (2k-3k) to replicate it.

You can hear it at around 17-20+ seconds in the video.