Another one rear ended...

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
It’s all up to the person at fault.
When somebody else is at fault then you file a claim with the at fault insured and not your insurance company.
Also since you are not reporting a claim with your insurance company you do not need to pay any deductible....
Maybe your state is different but that’s the way it works for me in California.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And I'm very OCD about the paint condition of the car (I did full paint correction and ceramic coated it few months ago, put a lot of hours in it) and the chances they will mess it up are very very high. Plus there's no guarantee they will match the paint...don't know. what a fawking morning
If that is the case, get it checked out and if everything is fine structual wise then pocket the money. Better chance that they screw things up then make them better. That is a spot that will pick up some dings through the life of the car. More classified as wear and tear if you ask me.

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sense 2.0
Country flag
If that is the case, get it checked out and if everything is fine structual wise then pocket the money. Better chance that they screw things up then make them better. That is a spot that will pick up some dings through the life of the car. More classified as wear and tear if you ask me.
Definitely no deductible. Your insurance company should have explained that to you. I was hit last year, my insurance company paid me for everything, then went after the other insurance company to be reimbursed. We pay enough for insurance, when something like this happens, your insurance company should do everything they can to help you out. They gave me an initial check and then when my body guy had the car apart, he had the claim amended and got more money because you couldn't see the added damage underneath the dented bumper. This is very common. You shouldn't be on the hook for anything, in fact, you should get a free rental for while the car is being fixed.

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Definitely no deductible. Your insurance company should have explained that to you. I was hit last year, my insurance company paid me for everything, then went after the other insurance company to be reimbursed. We pay enough for insurance, when something like this happens, your insurance company should do everything they can to help you out. They gave me an initial check and then when my body guy had the car apart, he had the claim amended and got more money because you couldn't see the added damage underneath the dented bumper. This is very common. You shouldn't be on the hook for anything, in fact, you should get a free rental for while the car is being fixed.
My insurance was very clear on the deductible part - i will still have to pay it but possibly (they never said definitevely) i’ll get it reimbursed once they get paid by another insurance. But initially I HAVE to pay. I really prefer not to. My only concern is the unseen damage but it’s hard to believe there’s any with this kind of extrnal damage..i might be wrong though. Were you hit hard as far as exterior bumper damage?

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sense 2.0
Country flag
My insurance was very clear on the deductible part - i will still have to pay it but possibly (they never said definitevely) i’ll get it reimbursed once they get paid by another insurance. But initially I HAVE to pay. I really prefer not to. My only concern is the unseen damage but it’s hard to believe there’s any with this kind of extrnal damage..i might be wrong though. Were you hit hard as far as exterior bumper damage?
You only pay a deductible if they conclude that it's your fault. You should never have to pay a deductible if it's not your fault.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Structural damage would be apparent from a visual inspection, no reason to think this is voodoo science or something. If your car was hit hard enough for structural damage, something on the exterior wouldn't be lined up right. I used to work in a body shop, I have seen wrecked cars that were frame-straightened to within factory maximum specs and the external parts were still a PITA to line up.
If all of your panels line up, doors and trunk open close fine then there's no damage that would be out of spec, to the structure.
However, your foam bumper insert may be "out-of-spec", usually indented from the impact. This is where a minimum $1000 bill comes into play. Honestly, the foam insert doesn't matter much, but to an insurance company it would require replacement.

Brings me back to the mid 90's, I was sitting in our mint 1991 Prelude Si at a light, I hear a screaching sound behind us, look up and a late 70's Detroit iron land yacht comes blasting into the back of our relatively dainty Prelude (you know these cars, they are little lightweights compared to todays vehicles) and we just get blasted. Get out expecting the worst, not a single damn mark on the rear bumper. I am sure the foam insert was deformed, but visually, nothing. Kept that car a long time after, never an issue.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
if it's the other person's fault and you have their insurance, I'm not sure why you have to pay ? It's a claim against their insurance not yours. If you pay the deductible, then you are basically filing it under your own insurance. One of my cars was totaled and I talked to my insurance company and they helped me file a claim with the other persons car company. I didn't pay a deductible and got a check from them. I'd also contact the other person's company directly and say one of their policyholders hit you and you need to file with them.

For the damage I'd fix it, I keep my cars for a long time so I don't really care about a carfax issue being flagged. When it's time to get rid of the car I'd just do a private sale. If it's to the point where it's old enough and still in good condition, you'll have eventually a college student who will be interested and not care about the repaint.

The plastic probably is just messed up and flexed causing the spidering. I had a car that I bought brand new that was only a year old and my bumper looked just like yours. I just left it alone, but then again it was my fault b/c I backed up into something hard while pretty intoxicated.

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
You only pay a deductible if they conclude that it's your fault. You should never have to pay a deductible if it's not your fault.[/
Thanks for the feedback guys. All this insurance stuff is totally new to me since it was my first car accident I got involved into in almost 15years of driving experience. I guess everything happens for the first time.

Anyhow, I got the claim filed against his insurance and will be waiting on their estimate. As for the damage, I'm still not sure whether I want to fix it or keep it as is....knowing how careless people are I don't feel comfortable handing the keys to a stranger in the shop. We shall see. Thanks again and be safe on the road.

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Just received an estimate - 500$ for parts and labor. They want to fix the bumper and replace shiny plastic part. I wonder how the heck they would fix the plastic bumper???

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
$500 ? What are they doing ? A repaint, prime, and repair plus labor here at a place that does "cash only yet always dutifully pays their taxes" would charge me $800 for a full repair and respray including labor. Any commercial shop would be well over $1,000 for a sand, prime, respray.

Sounds like $500 is to put some touch up paint and dab clear coat on a rag and swap the plastic piece. I don't see how $500 would cover parts/labor on a repaint for an entire rear bumper.

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
$500 ? What are they doing ? A repaint, prime, and repair plus labor here at a place that does "cash only yet always dutifully pays their taxes" would charge me $800 for a full repair and respray including labor. Any commercial shop would be well over $1,000 for a sand, prime, respray.

Sounds like $500 is to put some touch up paint and dab clear coat on a rag and swap the plastic piece. I don't see how $500 would cover parts/labor on a repaint for an entire rear bumper.
Yeah, i called local shop and they qupted around 1k. I’ll go there and have them look at it and give me a quite so i can counter the insurance company
Sponsored