ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
So with another oil change coming up within 1k miles, i was thinking about going with a thicker 0w30 instead of the usually 0w20. 27Won recommends using something like 5w30 in these cars if the HP output exceeds 50%+ over the factory spec. This would mean something like a FBO car making about 250whp should abide by this logic. But with it being colder in the NE i dont want a 5w oil for the season. Would there be a protection benefit from running a thicker oil like that?
Sponsored

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
get amsoil ss 0w30 and call it a day your going to benefit out of it with it forsure while maintaining the 0 weight

Refried_Loaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 civic '19 civic si
Country flag
Ran with 5w20 for a while, decided to do some actual research and switched back to 0w20, this is the weight i will be sticking with. Thicker aint always better

OP
OP
ChefRyeSi

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Get a quality low ash oil like mobil one EP 0w20 and call it a day. Or move to a 5w30 driven oil if you track often.
My 2 pennies.

OP
OP
ChefRyeSi

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get a quality low ash oil like mobil one EP 0w20 and call it a day. Or move to a 5w30 driven oil if you track often.
My 2 pennies.
[/QUOTE
How can you justify putting low quality oil in any modded car? Im on mod away from FBO and i for sure wouldnt want "any old oil" in my car, especially if its a CTR like yours.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
@ChefRyeSi
I recommend doing some reading on bitog and tell me why im wrong.

OP
OP
ChefRyeSi

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@ChefRyeSi
I recommend doing some reading on bitog and tell me why im wrong.
Wasn’t exactly saying you’re wrong so need to get so defensive. I was more so trying to start a discussion about it. So if you could explain it please go ahead.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Wasn’t exactly saying you’re wrong so need to get so defensive. I was more so trying to start a discussion about it. So if you could explain it please go ahead.
lol. Not getting defensive but calling high quality oil low quality is quite telling.

mobil 1 ep is mostly pao(synthetic)and has a sulfated ash of .8. This is good for direct injected engines for prevention of intake valve deposits. 0w20 is better than their 5w20. Kind of odd but it is for the base stock.

A lot of “synthetic oils” out there are actually group 3 base stocks which is refined dino oil or ground oil. While good it wont outperform oil with pao base when it comes to extreme temps that a type r can see.

driven oils are a boutique oil that are optimized for these kind of engines and would follow 5k oci’s.

you can buy into the marketing like many do i buy into the data.