Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thank you for a solid response. I'm going to do oil changes more often and send in an oil sample. Honda did an oil change for me since it was over the full line due the gas. Funny how honda claimed a software update fixed it lol.
From what I understand, the software “fix” mainly led to the engine to prioritize warming itself upon startup. I think through a combination of higher idle RPM and keeping the heat out of the cabin (if climate control is on).

Even so, the engine takes so dang long to warm up so I could see it only “solving” the issue for the average use cases.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
- drove over an hour one time on the highway

Solid research, theories of it burning off must be false.

OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic 1.5l ex hatchback
Country flag
- drove over an hour one time on the highway

Solid research, theories of it burning off must be false.
What an I suppose to drive 9 hours to burn off gas in the oil? You honda fan boys are hilarious. Honda can do no wrong in your eyes. Funny how I have gas in my oil during summer too right?

OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic 1.5l ex hatchback
Country flag
From what I understand, the software “fix” mainly led to the engine to prioritize warming itself upon startup. I think through a combination of higher idle RPM and keeping the heat out of the cabin (if climate control is on).

Even so, the engine takes so dang long to warm up so I could see it only “solving” the issue for the average use cases.
Well I heard they extended warranties due to it, the fix seems like more of a bandaid.

Yeah no kidding it takes a while to warm up. I heard a guy complaining about his crv taking too long to warm up at th dealership. They told him they are really efficient at cooling.

My 92 civic warms up so quick and will burn you out of the car, works great for winter lol.

The 2020 is kept in a heated garage as well. Can't plug in at work due to no outlet nearby. But I've noticed gas in the oil even during summer in 70 plus degree weather... Honda said just keep an eye on it And bring it back if it goes pass the full line on the dipstick again. I think I'll just be doing oil changes more often cuz it's really a great car or trade it in for a corolla... 😝 My buddies 2020 corolla doesn't have this problem and drives the same way lol.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well I heard they extended warranties due to it, the fix seems like more of a bandaid.

Yeah no kidding it takes a while to warm up. I heard a guy complaining about his crv taking too long to warm up at th dealership. They told him they are really efficient at cooling.

My 92 civic warms up so quick and will burn you out of the car, works great for winter lol.

The 2020 is kept in a heated garage as well. Can't plug in at work due to no outlet nearby. But I've noticed gas in the oil even during summer in 70 plus degree weather... Honda said just keep an eye on it And bring it back if it goes pass the full line on the dipstick again. I think I'll just be doing oil changes more often cuz it's really a great car or trade it in for a corolla... 😝 My buddies 2020 corolla doesn't have this problem and drives the same way lol.
I wouldn’t mind the Corolla Hatchback in a 6 speed if I ever ended up in one. Even if it were the non-Gazoo form.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
So far I haven't had an oil dilution problem but a lot of people have, from what I've read. And Honda has extended the warranty. Sure sounds like a poorly designed engine.

I've had many cars over many decades & none had this problem. I've seen many comments suggesting to change the oil more frequently than what the MM indicates. I'm supposed to spend more money & waste oil & my time to compensate for a faulty engine? That kind of defeats one of the reasons for buying an economy car.

I do like my Civic. But if I knew there was going to be an extended engine warranty because of oil dilution and an extended A/C warranty because of leaking condensers, then I'd be driving a different car today.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
If you think this car takes a while to warm up don't buy a Corolla. My 2014 was taking 20-30 min of normal driving before it even reached operating temps. That was after idling it for 10-15 min at temps above -20C(-2F ish). I'm not even talking about my 3 years in northern Canada with -40C.

The civic on the other hand is usually at operating temp within 15 min of starting it up even at -20.
not it doesn't heat as much as a big V8 or an old civic with a half rad but it's way better than other cars I've driven.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
Here is go. From the Honda manual. It was posted on another thread on civicx.
Honda Civic 10th gen Another oil dilution post 80% oil life IMG_4629.PNG

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same problem engine light came on because oil level was over max .I got several oil analysis done which proves there's more then 4% fuel in the oil .The guys from the oil lab also say it's too much fuel and should be solved asap.
I don't drives short distances and live in Belgium which has a normal climate .
Currently trying to alter air fuel trims and see if that helps.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Had oil dilution issues with my F150 Ecoboost as well. People with the 3.5 engines were getting stretched timing chains and grenaded engines. What did I do? I changed my oil more frequently, at 5-6k instead of riding it out until the maintenance minder said so. Put 80k on the engine without any hiccups.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
What an I suppose to drive 9 hours to burn off gas in the oil? You honda fan boys are hilarious. Honda can do no wrong in your eyes. Funny how I have gas in my oil during summer too right?
No one is saying that. Literally, no one.

And this civic is the first Honda I have personally owned. You like to jump to conclusions based on very simple responses. Its not a good look, and a couple people here have already called you out on it.

You might want to sell the car as soon as possible, it seems to be damaging you on a personal level.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
A customer in Canada with same engine in a CR-V complained to Honda about poor heat in the winter. Honda told them the car isn't for your climate. I also read that 1.5 turbo is crazy efficient which certainly doesn't help with engine temps.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My experience:
2017 SI- 52,000 miles before traded Arizona desert. Mix of short and long trips. Slow to warm up. No oil dilution issue.
2018 Type R- 40,000 miles so far. No issues, but warms up slowly. Not as slowly as in Aladja, but still.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Honda made a video regarding this.

I think those of you with very bad dilution issues are most likely running the oil way past it's life and are not driving the vehicle long enough to get it up to temp to burn off vapors.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This thread didn't disappoint op got accused of driving? I thought was known issue but i just dump my oil at AutoZone so have no clue. Kind of standoffish replys make newbies not want ask basic question. Thanks pro you made us look like shit you happy?
Sponsored