Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic 1.5l ex hatchback
Country flag
So I need some juicy opinions. Car is at 80% oil life, oil is black and smells just like gas,it's Above the full line. I'm thinking of trading this thing in, only 25k miles so far. I live in alaska so it's cold most the year round. Daily drive to work trips are about 15 mins. It's vibrating more than it usual as well.. I just drove over an hour yesterday at high speeds, so the gas will burn off on long drive comments are false lol. I got an appointment with hondoo tomorrow to "inspect" it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don’t have any oil dilution issues so far, and have a Blackstone laboratories oil analysis to prove it. I live in NC though.

That being said it’s possible that Alaskan winters mean your engine is almost never fully warming up on your 15 minutes commutes and you need more than just an occasional 1+ hour trip at high speeds to counter the oil dilution.

Basically I’m seeing it like a mass balance:
Gas in Oil Accumulation = rate in - rate out

Where your rate in is higher than your rate out. Probably because you live in Alaska with a pretty short commute.

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Not sure what you expect to hear. iT's nOt aN isSUE as far as my 2017 civic goes, but then again, I live in California. I change my oil every 4500 miles, get a oil sample analyzed every 10k, reports show engine wear as being very good. Sounds like you're not happy with the car, so sell it and move on.

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 FBO Civic SI Coupe (Sold)
Country flag
I ran into the oil dilution during winters with a short work commute in my 17 SI. Switching to 5w30 oil seemed to have eliminated the issue.

OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure what you expect to hear. iT's nOt aN isSUE as far as my 2017 civic goes, but then again, I live in California. I change my oil every 4500 miles, get a oil sample analyzed every 10k, reports show engine wear as being very good. Sounds like you're not happy with the car, so sell it and move on.
Oh no you're very wrong I love the car, such a nice car in general. I'm dissapointed with honda stupid earth dreams engine. I own an 07 civic and a 92 civic. Just simply blowing it off like well just go sell it and move on is silly. A car purchase is a big purchase unless you're filthy rich. If I based my opinion on the current comments it sounds like it's a cold issue but honda should of added a disclaimer then lol.

OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ran into the oil dilution during winters with a short work commute in my 17 SI. Switching to 5w30 oil seemed to have eliminated the issue.
Still under warranty so I don't want to void it if possible.

OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t have any oil dilution issues so far, and have a Blackstone laboratories oil analysis to prove it. I live in NC though.

That being said it’s possible that Alaskan winters mean your engine is almost never fully warming up on your 15 minutes commutes and you need more than just an occasional 1+ hour trip at high speeds to counter the oil dilution.

Basically I’m seeing it like a mass balance:
Gas in Oil Accumulation = rate in - rate out

Where your rate in is higher than your rate out. Probably because you live in Alaska with a pretty short commute.
Stays under 30 degrees for the most part. It gets to operating temp before it I get to work but seems ridiculous I should have to go do circles around the city to hope the gas is getting burned off. My 92 civic doesn't get gas in the oil from the short trip neither did my 07.

GavinOC

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R Boost Blue Pearl
Country flag
You seem very condescending and passive aggressive OP. Baiting people here isn't going to do much for the car...

I've worked near Alaska. I had a 3500 with a Cummens diesel engine and an Allison transmission - not a Civic. It's one of the harshest climates in the world.

Here's an aggressive answer for you: why don't you get a better career, so a car purchase isn't so much of a big deal for you and you can buy something better equipped for the environment you choose to live in.

Cheers

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Stays under 30 degrees for the most part. It gets to operating temp before it I get to work but seems ridiculous I should have to go do circles around the city to hope the gas is getting burned off. My 92 civic doesn't get gas in the oil from the short trip neither did my 07.
I understand that sentiment. You shouldn’t have to worry about driving the car for x miles to burn off gas in the oil. But with your climate and your driving habits that seems to be how things shake out with this engine. I think a short term solution would be changing your oil more often, at least in the winters.

The temp gauge on the dash is just the coolant temp, not the oil, so your oil temperature may not be warmed up even if the temp gauge is at at steady state. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Generally speaking, short commutes are “harsh” operating conditions for engines.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I ran 5w30 since almost new in northern alberta with no issues. It's also not because the oil smells like gas that there is too much gas in there and it's damaging your engine. Gas IS going in the oil but if you do your oil change around 50% of the maintenance minder you should minimize the wear on the engine. Also, I'd rather have a gdi car with gas in the oil then an engine that pops head gaskets at 90k miles.

Also, your other 2 civics weren't gdi, that isn't a problem on other fuel injection types and also not really felt with diesels as the fuel is almost like oil anyways.

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Isnt their is a danger with gas on oil?
Let says oil boils, gas burns like fire.
Just making assumption its very dangerous on hot weathers like California? Very hazardous

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Isnt their is a danger with gas on oil?
Let says oil boils, gas burns like fire.
Just making assumption its very dangerous on hot weathers like California? Very hazardous
It's not in enough quantity to ignite in the crankcase

OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You seem very condescending and passive aggressive OP. Baiting people here isn't going to do much for the car...

I've worked near Alaska. I had a 3500 with a Cummens diesel engine and an Allison transmission - not a Civic. It's one of the harshest climates in the world.

Here's an aggressive answer for you: why don't you get a better career, so a car purchase isn't so much of a big deal for you and you can buy something better equipped for the environment you choose to live in.

Cheers
Nobody was responding and i cleary stated I was a joking....Bro are you serious, I spent almost 40k on this car and your acting like I should be all sunshine and flowers?? Your diesel was probably plugged in when not running. For majority of Americans a car purchase is major. I'm just suppose to assume Honda's reliability isn't ok for cold climates, even though they have a solid reputation??? "Oh just buy a car that's better equipped. " Clearly you've never lived here, its like every other city you don't need a f350.. for working in the harshest conditions you're kinda sensitive 🥺 😅.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Set_ward

Set_ward

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I understand that sentiment. You shouldn’t have to worry about driving the car for x miles to burn off gas in the oil. But with your climate and your driving habits that seems to be how things shake out with this engine. I think a short term solution would be changing your oil more often, at least in the winters.

The temp gauge on the dash is just the coolant temp, not the oil, so your oil temperature may not be warmed up even if the temp gauge is at at steady state. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Generally speaking, short commutes are “harsh” operating conditions for engines.
Thank you for a solid response. I'm going to do oil changes more often and send in an oil sample. Honda did an oil change for me since it was over the full line due the gas. Funny how honda claimed a software update fixed it lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: