Annual B service without oil change?

waxonwaxoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo Prestige MT
Country flag
Hey guys, this might be a silly question but I am genuinely confused here.

Previously I have had my servicing done by the dealership for MM codes A, B and AB. Checking my service booklet it seems that when I take it in for just the B service my oil and oil filter are not changed.

I currently have a B code on my dash. The booklet shows me that the B service is simply an annual safety inspection, but when checking MM it states that the oil life has 0 miles remaining.

Is this a glitch or should the oil definitely be changed during the B services?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Edit: Extra info if it makes a difference. I have been carrying out my own A services by replacing the oil and I just go ahead and replace the filter aswell while I'm down there. Reset the MM as stated in the manual. Have done this twice now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Hey guys, this might be a silly question but I am genuinely confused here.
That's because it's confusing.

Over time I've looked at Owners Manuals for the civic in a number of languages that I can understand, just out of curiosity. Unfortunately, this doesn't include your local language.:dunno:

In all languages that I was able to get my eyes on and read, Service A included just oil and B was oil plus filter. Like for example:
A. Sostituire l'olio motore
B. Sostituire l'olio motore e il filtro olio

My manual written in American agrees with this.:thumbsup:

But I discovered that manuals for some odd localities don't contain this information at all. Instead they only refer to so called "Service booklet" or "Warranty booklet" where the service schedules are described. In some strange countries, using the Maintenance Minder is not even allowed, even though it will operate and call for service. Owners are asked to call an authorized service location and ask whether they are supposed to use the maintenance minder. There is no information about MM codes, but it tells you how to reset it. Owners are refered only to their "booklets" for maintenance information. ( I don't use a "service booklet.")

In some locations self-service is simply not an option under warranty. Accordingly, the Owners Manual does not contain any reference whatsoever to oil changes and there is no "engine oil" in the index. (There is "transmission oil" though. :doh: ) The image of the engine under the hood includes brake fluid and windshield washer liquid, but doesn't show the engine oil dipstick or engine oil filler cap. The information in the Owner's Manual about what kind of oil to use, about checking oil, and about engine oil capacities has been removed.

So I wrote this post to express my awe over how things are unnecessarily differentiated and complicated. You can go to your local grocery store and buy exactly the same groceries and the same car, and watch the same TV channels all over the world, but your car's manual and mainenance will be different in each country.

I don't know what Service AB is, and I can't figure why they do your A and B services the other way around. It's all in your local "Service booklet" I guess.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I currently have a B code on my dash. The booklet shows me that the B service is simply an annual safety inspection,
How many days have you still left?

It's often so when it comes closer to "0 days left", some points will get added. At least my MM works like this.

OP
OP
waxonwaxoff

waxonwaxoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo Prestige MT
Country flag
Thanks for your help Gruber, I guess I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my confusion but I am just slightly annoyed Honda hasn't made it clearer. My booklet even states in the maintenence section:

'Except European and South African models' or 'Ukranian models'

Neither of these apply to me and I'm pretty sure the UK is in Europe and was even in the EU when the manual was written.

How many days have you still left?

It's often so when it comes closer to "0 days left", some points will get added. At least my MM works like this.
As for this, my MM doesnt state how many days left, rather it counts down miles starting from 12500 down to 0 and if I'm late I get negative miles (For example '-20 miles') and a notification that my service is overdue every time I turn on the car. The 12500 miles usually decreases much faster anyway and I find myself changing the oil roughly every 6000 miles.

I will continue to service the car myself and change the oil and the filter while I'm down there when it asks me to.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
So in Germany the MM shows days left, in the UK miles left, and in the US the precentage of oil life left starting from 100%.... that's called cultural adaptation. Each of the Honda subsidiaries probably just selected some time ago how they wanted their oil changes displayed.
Sponsored