Annoying beeping

Gibzader

First Name
Rhyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2017 Mazda CX-3
Is there a way make the annoying beeping whenever you walk away from your car when its on? Went through settings and couldn't find anything
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
There's no setting that allows this safety feature to be disabled.

There was a class action lawsuit brought against Toyota a few years ago for cars that did not warn the driver if they were still on after the driver exited the vehicle.

This is particularly important for hybrids. If the driver exits the vehicle without turning it off after pulling into their garage and closing the door, the gasoline engine can restart and the garage (and possibly house) fill with carbon monoxide.

Last edited:

JNOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00' EX H23A, 17' Si Sedan WOP
My car will beep multiple times (only on occasion) after I turn the car off, get out and shut the door. Why does this happen when mostly it will only beep once then beep once again after it locks itself with the walk away feature?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
My car will beep multiple times (only on occasion) after I turn the car off, get out and shut the door. Why does this happen when mostly it will only beep once then beep once again after it locks itself with the walk away feature?
I have the same annoying thing happening -- sometimes (thankfully rarely, maybe in 5-10% of the cases) it would do that. I think it only supposed to do that when you're walking away (it goes out of range) while a door is opened, etc.

I'm writing that random beeping off to the transmitter failing to connect properly for whatever reason.

P.S. Aha! Just found this in the manual:
Do not put the smart entry remote on the dashboard
or in the glove box. It may cause the warning buzzer
to activate. Under some other conditions that can
prevent the vehicle from locating the remote, the
warning buzzer may also activate even if the remote
is within the system’s operational range.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Is there a way make the annoying beeping whenever you walk away from your car when its on? Went through settings and couldn't find anything
If you have it set up to auto-lock when you walk away, it will definitely beep/can't disable that, as @zroger73 noted above.
You can, however, disable that feature and just use the door locks to lock before you leave/walk away. Should be no beeping then, if I'm not mistaken.

BigEasy026

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's because you are walking away too fast. I know it sounds stupid, but you have to close the door and stand next to it until you hear the first beep, then walk away. It happens to me all the time.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you have it set up to auto-lock when you walk away, it will definitely beep/can't disable that, as @zroger73 noted above.
You can, however, disable that feature and just use the door locks to lock before you leave/walk away. Should be no beeping then, if I'm not mistaken.
I interpreted the OP's complaint to be about the long series of rapid beeps that happens when the vehicle is left running and you walk away from the vehicle with the remote on your person.

As far as the beeps related to the Walk Away Auto Lock feature, I disabled that "inconsistent, unreliable, and frustrating feature" on my Ridgeline a year ago. When I got my Si, one of the first things I did was to make sure it was disabled on it as well. I'd rather lock using the button on the door handle or by pushing the lock button on the remote - that just works better for me.

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
In interpreted the OP's complaint to be about the long series of rapid beeps that happens when the vehicle is left running and you walk away from the vehicle with the remote on your person.
I see -- I thought he was talking about the two standard walk-away single beeps... maybe he'll clarify.

(I think the "long series of rapid beeps" is what the manual refers to as "buzzer"?)

As far as the beeps related to the Walk Away Auto Lock feature, I disabled that "inconsistent, unreliable, and frustrating feature" on my Ridgeline a year ago. When I got my Si, one of the first things I did was to make sure it was disabled on it as well. I'd rather lock using the button on the door handle or by pushing the lock button on the remote - that just works better for me.
Heh, I guess grass is still green(er) for me on that one. :) I've been using the inside door locks on all my previous cars, but then none of them had anything close to that feature... I knee-jerkingly disabled it at first, but after a couple weeks re-enabled and have been really enjoying it since -- not having to even take my keys out of my pocket, except for when I get home (where I leave them inside the car next to the shifter.)

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Over 18 years ago, my '99 Regal had a feature called "delayed locking" that preceded Honda's "walk away auto locking". If any doors were open and I pressed the LOCK button, I'd hear three chimes. After all the doors were closed, they'd lock. I found this very handy.

Another handy feature that car had was "perimeter lighting" that would light light up the front and rear of the car by turning on the headlights and reverse lights when I pressed the UNLOCK button on the remote.

Eldorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have walk away auto lock on, and it beeps twice when I close the door and walk away, before it locks. Maybe it always beeps twice? Maybe I should read the owner's manual one of these days.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I love the walk away auto lock feature and the auto unlock when grabbing the handle. I have no shame, I am forgetful and lazy lol

pdiizeru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type-R #225
Country flag
Over 18 years ago, my '99 Regal had a feature called "delayed locking" that preceded Honda's "walk away auto locking". If any doors were open and I pressed the LOCK button, I'd hear three chimes. After all the doors were closed, they'd lock. I found this very handy.

Another handy feature that car had was "perimeter lighting" that would light light up the front and rear of the car by turning on the headlights and reverse lights when I pressed the UNLOCK button on the remote.
I absolutely DESPISE the cars that have their reverse lights turn on when they're not in reverse.

I'm ignorantly waiting for a parking spot just to find out that the person is not even in the vehicle..

Cheesus_Si

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Country flag
it happens to me every time i park my car and leave it in gear.
Sponsored