Angry relative scratched up car on purpose. How to repair scratches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarsOverMotorcycles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Angry relative scratched up car on purpose by "washing my car" with a hard brush.

My car is basically brand new and was in pristine condition. Now I have scratches to deal with all over the car.

How do I repair scratches from the brush? I see the car line streaks all over my car in the sun. Do you think it is reasonable to ask them to repair the scratches? How much will it cost me to repair, if possible to repair?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yikes. Outsourcing the job will likely cost several hundred dollars. We could give better advice if we saw the damage.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Relative or not, what was done to your car was vandalism. Don't let them get away with it or it will happen again. If you watch "Judge Judy", you will realize that most vandals and deadbeats are relatives and "friends".

I suggest wearing an audio recording device and get the relative to admit to using a hard brush to "clean" your car. Then lodge a vandalism complaint with the police. That way, they will be stuck with paying restitution. Otherwise, you will probably never see any money from them (Most vandals are deadbeats as well. Especially if they think that they can push you around because you are related.).

As far as the repair, if it isn't all the way through the clearcoat, a "detailer" would be your best bet to fix it. They may be able to buff it out for a small cost.

If the damage is deeper than the clearcoat, it will be costly to repair.

Unless you have experience with autobody repair or detailing, I wouldn't try to repair it yourself. It is likely that you will make it worse.

Once your car is repaired, make sure that you have the paint sealed or waxed to prevent more scratches.

Last edited:

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
How deep are the scratches? Run your fingernail across, if its smooth it can be buffed out. If it catches.... might need a repaint

OP
OP

CarsOverMotorcycles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Relative or not, what was done to your car was vandalism. Don't let them get away with it or it will happen again. If you watch "Judge Judy", you will realize that most vandals and deadbeats are relatives and "friends".

I suggest wearing an audio recording device and get the relative to admit to using a hard brush to "clean" your car. Then lodge a vandalism complaint with the police. That way, they will be stuck with paying restitution. Otherwise, you will probably never see any money from them (Most vandals are deadbeats as well. Especially if they think that they can push you around because you are related.).

As far as the repair, if it isn't all the way through the clearcoat, a "detailer" would be your best bet to fix it. They may be able to buff it out for a small cost.

If the damage is deeper than the clearcoat, it will be costly to repair.

Unless you have experience with autobody repair or detailing, I wouldn't try to repair it yourself. It is likely that you will make it worse.

Once your car is repaired, make sure that you have the paint sealed or waxed to prevent more scratches.
The relative is a close family member, and every time I talk to them about it they will not even admit to doing it. I have evidence of the brush bristles immediately after the "wash" and have saved these as evidence and also videotaped myself doing this. If I file a police report it will probably seriously damage the relationship, so would you guys go this route? or would you guys go through insurance to get this repaired? How does this work? I am extremely troubled by this situation.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The relative is a close family member, and every time I talk to them about it they will not even admit to doing it. I have evidence of the brush bristles immediately after the "wash" and have saved these as evidence and also videotaped myself doing this. If I file a police report it will probably seriously damage the relationship, so would you guys go this route? or would you guys go through insurance to get this repaired? How does this work? I am extremely troubled by this situation.
I don't think you can go through insurance without lying (insurance fraud) or getting your relative in trouble.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Call the police and register a complaint anyway. Your insurance will insist on it.

Even if they can't prove that your relative did it, if the relative gets asked questions by the police, they will realize that you are serious about this and it may prevent future problems.

maskale

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
if they actually wanted to damage your car then ditch the relative and then get your car polished, most will come out.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.