Android Head unit with physical volume knob? Does it Exist?

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just probing the internet asking if such a product exists.. most of these 8-9 inch Android tablet style head units are all screen and no room for a volume knob.. I've also seen some of those full panel replacements ( Tesla Styles ) as well but dont wanna stare at a picture of some random white civic all day, and also..... no volume knob.. My 2020 has the volume knob and I'm not willing to loose it. but would like the possibility of wireless android auto. i guess i can dream.
Sponsored

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
just probing the internet asking if such a product exists.. most of these 8-9 inch Android tablet style head units are all screen and no room for a volume knob.. I've also seen some of those full panel replacements ( Tesla Styles ) as well but dont wanna stare at a picture of some random white civic all day, and also..... no volume knob.. My 2020 has the volume knob and I'm not willing to loose it. but would like the possibility of wireless android auto. i guess i can dream.
You and I have similar interests. Watching thread...

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I know there have been some threads where people have successfully done wireless Apple CarPlay which may or may not work for Android. Sounds like you may end up buying a tongle and doing some experiments

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hm.. the real question is, are those $80 usb dongle things worth it, i was hoping not to have a thing flopping around... its a real shame honda doesnt have wireless android auto by now..

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
hm.. the real question is, are those $80 usb dongle things worth it, i was hoping not to have a thing flopping around... its a real shame honda doesnt have wireless android auto by now..
I hope they continue to develop wired carplay as well, they certainly haven't gotten it right yet as far as I'm concerned. I want reliable carplay and the ability to connect a second phone via Bluetooth as well. (I know I have in the past, but solid pairing has never been consistent unless BT connects firs then Carplay on another device second.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
I would love to replace the head unit in mine someday, and 90% of the reason is having no volume knob. I've watched some videos on the ebay and amazon android head units, like the Phoenix, however none of them have a volume knob. They all look and seem to perform significantly better than the stock touch screen head unit. If anyone finds one, let us know!

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im not a fan of wired android auto personally.. i don't wanna pull my phone outta my pocket every time i get in and out of the car.. cant tell you the amount of times i used to do that and got out of the car and forgot about it and had to open up the door again to get it.. kinda like the direction our key fobs are.. ( though I do question their security ) . Wireless seems to be the way of the future for better or for worse

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Im not a fan of wired android auto personally.. i don't wanna pull my phone outta my pocket every time i get in and out of the car.. cant tell you the amount of times i used to do that and got out of the car and forgot about it and had to open up the door again to get it.. kinda like the direction our key fobs are.. ( though I do question their security ) . Wireless seems to be the way of the future for better or for worse

Wireless are perfectly safe ?

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring, Blue
Country flag
I think Im gonna watch this thread too since I have a 2018 model without the knob and I want to replace it with one that has one (or maybe ill go for the OEM 2019 model if it gets affordable, its $450+ on ebay and that when the price is low)

snyperwolf62

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX w/Honda Sensing
Country flag

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm looking to buy this one. It appears to have wireless Apple Car Play and a volume knob!!

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-2016-2017-honda-civic-head-unit-replacement-with-8-ips-screen.html

Has anyone tried it yet?
This is the best looking one I've seen yet. I'm not at all a fan of the Phoenix ones, and I've had bad experience with Chinese android headunits in the past, so I'm always skeptical.

I'm curious about things like TPMS and maintenance minders and other important factory setting that are controlled by the factory HU. Can anyone confirm access to those functions on the aftermarket units?

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea that's whats keeping me from many of the aftermarket android based radios - since everything is so integrated into that unit. I don't want to replace it.

user9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 accord
Country flag
Here are two wireless Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay receivers with a volume knob that are currently on the market:

Jensen CAR910W….$529

Kenwood DMX1057XR/ DMX1037S….$1250!!
(hard to find in stock right now)

If anyone reading this post has any info on what Honda infotainment or settings capabilities you lose when you take out the original head unit and install an aftermarket one, please post what you know!
Sponsored

Last edited: