Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I am looking to buy a plug and play android head unit.

I have a 2019 civic hatchback base model

I bought a cheap android unit and it sucked. The back camera didn’t work. The radio didn’t work. It was just a mess. I returned it so I’m looking to get one that everything works without having to dick around with it.

If you have one that was all plug and play link it for me.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I am looking to buy a plug and play android head unit.

I have a 2019 civic hatchback base model

I bought a cheap android unit and it sucked. The back camera didn’t work. The radio didn’t work. It was just a mess. I returned it so I’m looking to get one that everything works without having to dick around with it.

If you have one that was all plug and play link it for me.
You are 100% right -- The cheap units SUCK

Welcome to the search for the Holy Grail.

So far, there is no aftermarket head Unit replacement for the GenX head Unit where "EVERYTHING" works.

However, those thing that do work, tend to work a lot better and faster than on the Honda Unit.

OP
OP
U.S.C

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
You are 100% right -- The cheap units SUCK

Welcome to the search for the Holy Grail.

So far, there is no aftermarket head Unit replacement for the GenX head Unit where "EVERYTHING" works.

However, those thing that do work, tend to work a lot better and faster than on the Honda Unit.
Yeah I tried to get that stupid thing to work so many times. I ended up giving up and shipping it back for a refund.

Okay so I should just give up on it lol. I see no point in upgrading to actually downgrade lol.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Wait for the Maestro RR2 to come out and it will retain everything. The harness won't be plug n play (in the traditional sense), but it'll work 100% better than anything that exists currently.

Another downside is won't be cheap. The RR currently sells for 169 and the harness to go with it is 35 and then you still have to buy the radio and stuff. I always recommend it over those factory look replacements. But, if you're insistent on those, supposedly the Phoenix one works better than most. I've just never had a good experience with them.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah I tried to get that stupid thing to work so many times. I ended up giving up and shipping it back for a refund.

Okay so I should just give up on it lol. I see no point in upgrading to actually downgrade lol.
Well, I am not going to say "GIVE UP", because there are Units out there that do a lot of things better than the Honda Unit.

I have a very "advanced" unit fitted to my old Maxima (all it had before was a simple am/fm radio), and I can do all sort of things that the Honda Unit cannot do -- but would I fit that unit in the 2018 si -- NO -- because at the end of the day, the Old Slow Honda head unit really does all that is required ( with Android Auto, and a decent Smartphone), and it work smoothly, without having to be messed about with all the time.

The Unit in the Maxima is GREAT -- it will do almost anything -- but one tends to spend far too much time, doing Everything with it, just because you can, and it becomes a full time job, just managing it.

In my opinion, the solution for the GenX is to not REPLACE the Honda unit, but instead to ADD a another device, that can do what you want -- ie a 2nd Smartphone of a Tablet. (Maybe a nice BIG Tablet !!! -- like in the Tesla !! )
(does not need Cellular-- just wifi)

This second device can do all the things that the Honda unit cannot do, without interfering with the Honda Unit's function, and can also be easily upgraded in the future, and better/cheaper devices come out,

If you want to make your Honda Unit do a little more, you might Consider Honda hack, that will allow you to add additional apps onto the Honda unit, but what you can add is limited, because more complex apps will bog-down the Slow Honda Unit, and you also get into a whole Warranty issue, if you Honda Hack the head unit.

I have a number of Honda head unit, that I am "Playing with" outside of the car, and they are all Honda Hacked, but even so, I still have not felt the NEED to Honda Hack the one in the car, (and not because of any Warranty concerns )

BOTTOM LINE: If you feel you need to replace the Honda Unit, spend some time researching what you really NEED/WANT, and then you will have something to help you better decide what replacement unit will fit your NEEDS.

Shop based on your NEEDS, and not based on the Advertising Hype that goes along with these addon units... a lot of what is claimed is false, and a lot is purposely omitted.

Honda Civic 10th gen Android head unit help Holder4

Note: The additional screen is a 2nd Smartphione/Tablet . My everyday use Smartphone is tucked away, and is running Android Auto on a USB connection with the Hnda head unit, to give me Google Map / Spotify /.PHone etc via the Honda head unit display and car speakers & Microphone.

In the photo above, the 2nd display is running Torque, connected to a wifi ODB2 module.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjh

OP
OP
U.S.C

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Well I have the base model that doesn’t come with anything other than the crappy fm radio. Nothing more than that. That’s the main reason on why I was upgrading. I wanted the navigation and the other things that come with the other models.

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
You can order this off of Amazon. Its what GTACarkit and Phoenix resells. It's prime eligible, and returns would be super easy and hassle free (because Amazon, Duh). Should come with all the harness'. If you want to add wireless carplay, add this to cart as well. All prime eligible

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I have the base model that doesn’t come with anything other than the crappy fm radio. Nothing more than that. That’s the main reason on why I was upgrading. I wanted the navigation and the other things that come with the other models.
My apologies, I did not read your post carefully enough.
I assumed you were trying to update the 7" Display model, not the base 5" one.

Let me try to make that up to you :-

This may help ..
Antenna & Camera connection for your old Honda Unit.
and
Connector info for the sockets on the back of your Honda 5" Audio display unit.

As far as the Antenna is concerned, the issue may be that the Honda Antenna unit is an AMPLIFIED unit, and requires +12v power ( Ant +B)

The aftermarket unit just seems to accept a normal, un-powered antenna, so there is no power going to your antenna Amp,

Difficult to imagine that the aftermarket Head Unit manufacturer missed that,m so maybe that is not the problem, but it could explain what you only get static,

Honda Civic 10th gen Android head unit help BASE-AUDIO

Attachments