Android Auto - Which phone?

hamster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
Confirmed. Google offline maps does work (in a limited sense) when Airplane mode is enabled. You can see current location, and stored locations, but searching for destinations did not work.
I used offline map a couple of times. You are right you can not do the search directly from Android Auto while offline. However, before you drive, you can open Google Maps and search for location within the offline map area and get the directions in Google Maps. Then you can plug the phone in to start Android Auto, and the directions will stay.
Sponsored

DaveRN94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/sensing
LG Nexus 5X, Android 6.0.1. There is some lag on my phone too, but not too bad. I think phones with more than 2GB memory like the Nexus 6P will run Android Auto the best. One quirk I've noticed is that sometimes (like 1 in 5 times), Android Auto will not start up properly after connecting the USB cable. Unplugging and replugging the cable fixes it.

Yes, Android Auto directions show up in the DII if you have a Touring or EX-L Nav. It is unfortunate that Honda made the decision to keep this functionality from the the other Civic trims.

Have you paired the phone with Bluetooth already? I think I read somewhere that Android Auto needs Bluetooth to work, even though it uses a cable. The Bluetooth is for phone calls.
Yes, your phone must be connected/paired for AA to launch, and it takes about 30 seconds after connecting the USB cable.

crea78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord Sport, 2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
I've used my Nexus 5 and experienced significant lag so have had to revert back to my Galaxy S6.

brian30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Check to be sure when you plug it in that the USB connection type on your phone is set for "charge". This may not apply depending on Android version.

What version of Android is your phone running?
I'm running 5.1.1 on Tmobile network with a SGN4

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Android 5.1.1 on T Mobile USA with a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Works well for the most part. Voice recognition tends to lag.

speedtouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Using a Nexus5X on Marshmallow, no big problems so far. I find it doesn't detect the phone if I leave it plugged in when the car starts. Just have to plug it in once the car is on, no problem.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Droid Turbo 2 here. Flawless operation with Android Auto, excepting one time when a charging cable error came up.

On one side note, I used to keep my phone on the upper ledge (where Honda seems to intend phones to be kept, given their USB cable guides that lead from the plug up to there). That really isn't enough room for a reasonably large phone, and ended up damaging one USB cable when shifting into park hit the cable. Seems a lot safer to just keep it on the area below that, right by the USB outlet.

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Using a Nexus5X on Marshmallow, no big problems so far. I find it doesn't detect the phone if I leave it plugged in when the car starts. Just have to plug it in once the car is on, no problem.
Yeah, I find this annoying. If I stop, to get gas for instance, then when I restart the car and drive off, I have to fumble with unplugging, re-plugging to get AA started again.

But at least it works. Sometimes. :rolleyes:

Bigred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic exl
OK try this. By happenstance I fix my AA connection issue.
First Uninstall AA from your phone. Clear your blue tooth connect on your phone. Remove the phone from the bluetooth device list in the car info system. Turn off the car and restart.
Reconnect your phone via bluetooth.

Then plug your USB cable into the car jack
. Lastly, plug the USB into the phone.
And what do you know. . It is already installed on the phone. Follow the set up procedure on the phone and it works perfectly.
Neither Google or honda are aware this program is built into to the marshmallow already and when we install from the play store the android auto app. Is creates a conflict in the OS.
I tried it twice and it is that easy.. plug and play!!!
And ifor you leave your phone hooked up turn offor the car and then restart it will automatically reopen AA. Cheers
Sponsored