Android Auto/Waze

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
Having some issues with running waze on android auto. On the phone waze works perfectly well however when connected and running on the infotainment screen waze will not show an accurate location and will usually update my location every few minutes then freeze again. This happens when driving around freely or when attempting to navigate somewhere. I've attempted rebooting the phone and head unit, anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored

Bobbyxrs

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure if you got this figured out but this worked when I was having issues with mine. Follow these steps. Go to your settings, battery settings, battery optimization, then change both Android Auto and Waze to "don't optimize" and that should fix your issues. I found that after a few months the system changes back so you'll have to repeat the steps when that happens. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Estoril4

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure if you got this figured out but this worked when I was having issues with mine. Follow these steps. Go to your settings, battery settings, battery optimization, then change both Android Auto and Waze to "don't optimize" and that should fix your issues. I found that after a few months the system changes back so you'll have to repeat the steps when that happens. Hope this helps.
Thanks will give it a shot

ksat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan - Modern Steel
Country flag
Not sure if you are still having issues, but, seems this may be somewhat related to an issue I've recently noticed.

I run Waze on my drive in to work every day (because....TRAFFIC!). But, I've noticed that the turn-by-turn arrow on my instrument cluster displays a wrong direction, occasionally. For example: Waze on the nav screen with show a RIGHT TURN but my instrument cluster will show a LEFT TURN. It's very strange. I have no other obvious issues with it and it is not consistent - it doesn't show the wrong turn at the same intersection all the time.

One thing that just came to mind that I have not tried yet: Waze relies on Google Maps (likely on the backend only) but I have not tried to replicate this on Google Maps. Could be an interesting test to try.

Have you or anyone else seen this?

OP
OP
Estoril4

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately I haven't but it sounds like my wife trying to give you directions on top of Waze. As an update after a few weeks the issues resolved themselves, I think the battery saver mode was causing issues for me as well.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if you are still having issues, but, seems this may be somewhat related to an issue I've recently noticed.

I run Waze on my drive in to work every day (because....TRAFFIC!). But, I've noticed that the turn-by-turn arrow on my instrument cluster displays a wrong direction, occasionally. For example: Waze on the nav screen with show a RIGHT TURN but my instrument cluster will show a LEFT TURN. It's very strange. I have no other obvious issues with it and it is not consistent - it doesn't show the wrong turn at the same intersection all the time.

One thing that just came to mind that I have not tried yet: Waze relies on Google Maps (likely on the backend only) but I have not tried to replicate this on Google Maps. Could be an interesting test to try.

Have you or anyone else seen this?
Do you by chance have samsung?
They had an update yesterday for me...which honestly was probably an android update.

I had to uninstall android auto and reinstall it...then start up android auto go through the promps to allow my phones permission...then connected it and waze and everything else works fine

ksat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No - I'm using an original Google Pixel. But, like I said, it doesn't seem to be app-related as the app displays the turns properly. It's only the turns that are displayed to my instrument cluster that shows a turn that is contradictory (and incorrect) to the app.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No - I'm using an original Google Pixel. But, like I said, it doesn't seem to be app-related as the app displays the turns properly. It's only the turns that are displayed to my instrument cluster that shows a turn that is contradictory (and incorrect) to the app.
right, I'm not saying it's Waze...just wondering if an update to your android software happened and caused your issue.

So with your google pixel, do you have android auto app on there also? I used android auto app which then links up to the info system...lets me pick waze, amazon, etc.

But what I was saying is it maybe the software update your phone got...not the app itself. Might be worth trying to delete and resinstall. Like I said, for me, it wasn't waze that was the issue, it was the app that was in between (android auto).

ksat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So with your google pixel, do you have android auto app on there also? I used android auto app which then links up to the info system...lets me pick waze, amazon, etc.
Yea - I see what you are suggesting. While I haven't received any updates recently to the OS (which would primarily be security updates) nor to the individual Apps, your suggestion is easy enough to try.

But, just so you know - All Android phones are created equal when it comes to Android Auto. They have the AA app that runs and mirrors to the vehicle display, regardless of brand. So, they all work the same way.

thanks!

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea - I see what you are suggesting. While I haven't received any updates recently to the OS (which would primarily be security updates) nor to the individual Apps, your suggestion is easy enough to try.

But, just so you know - All Android phones are created equal when it comes to Android Auto. They have the AA app that runs and mirrors to the vehicle display, regardless of brand. So, they all work the same way.

thanks!
yeah, I mentioned it was most likely just an android update, I wasn't sure if it was, because I honestly didn't pay attention, I know android is an OS, lol...Jesus, good luck man, I'll let you figure it out since you're pretty knowledgeable

They had an update yesterday for me...which honestly was probably an android update.
Sponsored