Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
  • Banned
Hey guys, I've been using Android Auto in my 2018 civic and it's been working great. Recently, I've been thinking of switching over to an iPhone. Any advice as to which works better with the civics? this feature is important to me and I'd like to keep it working without a hitch.
Sponsored

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
What could possibly get anyone to switch from Android to iOS?! :p

As for your question, based on a couple reviews I've read awhile ago, Android/Google is significantly better at voice recognition. (Although that was a couple years back, maybe things changed, I dunno...)

OP
OP

lopcd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
What could possibly get anyone to switch from Android to iOS?! :p

As for your question, based on a couple reviews I've read awhile ago, Android/Google is significantly better at voice recognition. (Although that was a couple years back, maybe things changed, I dunno...)
lol fair question, just need a change in scenery I guess, I have a Samsung Note 5 and there is nothing out there that is motivating me to spend $1000+ on a new phone except maybe an iPhone X.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
watch you tube videos comparing the two. Generally Android auto does a better job.

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, anyone's opinion on CarPlay right now will be worthless in about 1 month, because Apple is set to release their newest version of iOS in early fall with a complete revamp and ground up re-write of CarPlay. I guess you could get opinions from beta testers; however, even beta versions can vary from live alpha versions.

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, anyone's opinion on CarPlay right now will be worthless in about 1 month, because Apple is set to release their newest version of iOS in early fall with a complete revamp and ground up re-write of CarPlay. I guess you could get opinions from beta testers; however, even beta versions can vary from live alpha versions.
This ^^. IOS12 is going to revamp CarPlay completely which appears promising for a vast improvement and more third part apps being supported.

Right now android seems to have the edge in most comparisons.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
lol fair question, just need a change in scenery I guess, I have a Samsung Note 5 and there is nothing out there that is motivating me to spend $1000+ on a new phone except maybe an iPhone X.
Check out Motorola's high-end stuff, if you haven't already. Also there's Google Pixel... Samsung is way too "heavy" IMO; too many near-useless built-in bells and whistles, especially their software. To the point where it's almost like it isn't really "Android" anymore...

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
These are no other phone that is beyond $1000 except iPhone 10 anyway...
The phone price nowaday is just ridiculous, considering a $400 phone can do 99% of what a $1000 phone can do.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have always had iphones (since i've had smart phones). I have an iPhoneX currently. Everything works perfectly fine, no issues including voice recognition. As others have said, there's going to be a total revamp of CarPlay this fall, so comparisons now are pretty useless. The new iOS 12 CarPlay will support 3rd party apps (yay!) which will level the playing field between the two greatly.

And for those mentioning the price. I pay the same monthly price for my iPhoneX as the rest of my family does on their Samsung Galaxies and I've had far less technical issues over the course of a year. It's all personal taste however.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
IOS on the Civic headunit with Carplay does not support Waze at this time. That's the only issue I know of. I use Android (S9+) and my wife uses IOS (iPhone 8). I can't stand IOS, and she hates Android.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
IOS on the Civic headunit with Carplay does not support Waze at this time. That's the only issue I know of. I use Android (S9+) and my wife uses IOS (iPhone 8). I can't stand IOS, and she hates Android.
Sounds like your average marriage.

OP
OP

lopcd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
that's good to know actually, I'll probably wait to see what the new version has to offer, maybe there will be a new look to the UI as well.

OP
OP

lopcd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
These are no other phone that is beyond $1000 except iPhone 10 anyway...
The phone price nowaday is just ridiculous, considering a $400 phone can do 99% of what a $1000 phone can do.
The samsung note 8 and s9+ are both over $1000, anything in the premium smartphone market is generally over a $1000 right now if you choose to buy outright. I do agree with you that the prices are ridiculous.

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
The samsung note 8 and s9+ are both over $1000, anything in the premium smartphone market is generally over a $1000 right now if you choose to buy outright. I do agree with you that the prices are ridiculous.
Hmm you're talking about Canada prices right? Cuz none of them cost more than $1000 in the US. iPhone X is the only one that exceeds $1000 here.
Sponsored