Android Auto Oddity

nicmartim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Hey, when I bought my 18 EX a couple of months ago I noticed my S8+ USB port was dead so I got myself a brand new replacement S10+ that has a fully functional USB. I used Android Auto for a bit, familiarizing myself with it and customizing some things. Now we are planning a big trip with the Civic and I was messing w/ AA and it would NOT recognize my phone where it had previously. I first made sure the phone was set to "Enable" in the Honda System settings and cleared the cache on my phone but that didnt work. I did a hard reboot of both the HU and the phone, no change. I then deleted the phone from the Civic and attempted to re-add. All I would get is the blue banner at the bottom of the screen that says "no device connected" but the phone was getting power. I tried the factory Samsung cable, no change so I started doing what every good IT person does, Google'd it. There I found others who had similar issues and were solved by many numerous combinations of things I had already tried.

Well, I was messing w/ it again in a parking lot waiting for something and decided to tinker with the USB settings on the phone. When the phone is connected to the USB cable I get an option to change USB connection settings on the phone. I decided to start trying things. It was defaulted to "File Transfer/AA" I assume AA means Android Auto. Well I tried "Image Transfer" and miracle of miracles it works. When I select Image Transfer the little blue selector dot actually goes away completely and it makes it appear as though nothing is selected in the USB settings on the phone. Now EVERYTIME I hook up my phone I have to change it to "Image Transfer" to get AA to work. Works perfectly until I disconnect, but once I make the USB change it works again. Anybody have any ideas what might be up w/ my phone and/or HU? It's not a huge deal, but kinda annoying.
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
My S10 works great with my 2020. And I remember everything was plug and play the first time. My suggestion is to do a factory data reset of the HU, then uninstall AA on your phone. If I remember correctly, I didn't have to add the phone to the HU at all. When I plugged the phone in the first, time, it asked me if I wanted to use AA with that phone, I select "Always Enable" and the phone is automatically added to the HU and the phone automatically downloaded AA.

This is from the 2018 Owner's Manual. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATBA1818OM/enu/ATBA1818OM.PDF

Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto Oddity 1638838183309

OP
OP

nicmartim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
To follow-up on this one. I haven't driven the Civic much since our trip (WFM) and decided to play with the phone/car connection a bit more. My phone recently got the OTA upgrade to Android 12 and the issue persists.

I have attempted to research how to reset the HU, but it seems there is A LOT of confusion between reset and reboot. I have done the reboot, the long hold on the power button (approx 20 seconds) and the HU recycles itself and AA still doesn't auto launch when connecting phone to car. I have held the power/illumination/Home buttons for 15 seconds and got the "advanced" menu where I can do all sorts of things but could NOT find where to "reset" the HU. Is there a fool-proof method for this operation?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I have attempted to research how to reset the HU, but it seems there is A LOT of confusion between reset and reboot. I have done the reboot, the long hold on the power button (approx 20 seconds) and the HU recycles itself and AA still doesn't auto launch when connecting phone to car. I have held the power/illumination/Home buttons for 15 seconds and got the "advanced" menu where I can do all sorts of things but could NOT find where to "reset" the HU. Is there a fool-proof method for this operation?
In the advanced menu, factory data reset is in
Detail Information & Setting->Functional Setup->Backup Data Clear

That is similar to Factory Data Reset in the standard Settings Menu. Search "Factory Data Reset" in the owner's manual in the link I provided in Post #2.

OP
OP

nicmartim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I'll give it shot, let you know how it goes. Thanks!!
Sponsored