Android Auto not talking back or reading text message

Araingotang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Hey guys, done about absolutley everything. A couple days ago i got a text and tapped it so the car can read. It faded the screen a little like always and got ready to read but then just stops and cancels reading the text, bring the screen back to full light.

Now that did it a little temporarily, then it worked again after a bit. But now it came back for a couple of days.

I do gps and the voice still comes on giving me guidance. However when I ask it a question or tell it to read a text, nothing happens. But when I ask it a question to send a text, it will look like its talking to me, then turns back to me to answer. But its as if its muted.

2016 civic ex t
Samsung g6

Things I did:
-Reboot dash
-rebooted phone
-unplugged cord
-diagnostic mode to see anything wrong
-disconnected battery to full reset dash
-Played with volume and settings in main menu

Please help
Sponsored

downthesun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Hey guys, done about absolutley everything. A couple days ago i got a text and tapped it so the car can read. It faded the screen a little like always and got ready to read but then just stops and cancels reading the text, bring the screen back to full light.

Now that did it a little temporarily, then it worked again after a bit. But now it came back for a couple of days.

I do gps and the voice still comes on giving me guidance. However when I ask it a question or tell it to read a text, nothing happens. But when I ask it a question to send a text, it will look like its talking to me, then turns back to me to answer. But its as if its muted.

2016 civic ex t
Samsung g6

Things I did:
-Reboot dash
-rebooted phone
-unplugged cord
-diagnostic mode to see anything wrong
-disconnected battery to full reset dash
-Played with volume and settings in main menu

Please help

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2016 Civic EXT and my Nexus 6P. Android Auto had been working great, but recently it won't read texts, and there is no voice prompt when I try to send one. However, I've found that if you do through process as if it was doing the voice prompts, it will still send the text.

Strangely enough, if you ask for directions and say something general like, "Give me directions to BestBuy", the system will say something like, "Here are your results for Best Buy."

I've tried the same steps as you with no success. I've also tried different phones and different USB cables.

This has been happening for about two weeks now. Occasionally, when I leave for work in the mornings, it'll actually work for me. I thought that maybe it had to do with the battery being fully charged, but that wasn't the case as I charged my battery before leaving work, and it didn't work. Then, I thought that it had to do plugging in the phone after I had turned the car on and the infotainment system was fully loaded, but that didn't seem to be the issue still.

I'm still troubleshooting different things, and would love to hear from anyone that solves this issue.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just upgraded from an HTC One M8 to an S7 Edge last weekend. I never got the text features to work with the HTC, but everything is fully functional with the S7. I think the system is really picky with what phones are compatible with certain features, someone had posted a link that showed only like 5 phones were fully compatible with the system.

downthesun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Just upgraded from an HTC One M8 to an S7 Edge last weekend. I never got the text features to work with the HTC, but everything is fully functional with the S7. I think the system is really picky with what phones are compatible with certain features, someone had posted a link that showed only like 5 phones were fully compatible with the system.

Thanks, but it was working just fine for me up to about two weeks ago. The issue is most likely software related, and not a phone compatibility issue.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, but it was working just fine for me up to about two weeks ago. The issue is most likely software related, and not a phone compatibility issue.
Gotcha. There has been a TSB issued to update the head unit firmware though. Depending on your car's build date, it may or may not have it already installed.

downthesun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Gotcha. There has been a TSB issued to update the head unit firmware though. Depending on your car's build date, it may or may not have it already installed.
Do you have a link to the TSB? I'm not finding it. I'll have to check with the dealership on Monday

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
I had an issue with the connection as it would not display android auto. The one thing that worked for my problem was restarting my phone.

PhotoVoltaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did a factory reset on my phone yesterday, and when I paired my phone with my car, I ran into this same issue. I got it working again after messing with some settings on the phone. I'm not sure if it was the settings that did it, or simply just the unplugging/replugging of the phone, but if anyone's curious, here's the setting I changed:

Settings>
Language & Input>
Text-to-speech output>
Google Text-to-speech Engine (gear icon)>
Settings for Google Text-to-speech Engine>
Use Wi-fi only - turned switch OFF

Ek3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I had the same issue and then Verizon pushed an update. After several hours of messing around I found that the media volume control was turned all the way down. I turned it up and problem solved. Hit the up arrow on your volume control and you'll see a pull-down menu to the right on the pop up menu. Select media and turn it up and try again. This fixed my problem

ysargon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
I solved the issue by disabling the "Bluetooth headset: records audio through Bluetooth headset if available" setting under voice

dgarcia619

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2016 Civic EXT and my Nexus 6P. Android Auto had been working great, but recently it won't read texts, and there is no voice prompt when I try to send one. However, I've found that if you do through process as if it was doing the voice prompts, it will still send the text.

Strangely enough, if you ask for directions and say something general like, "Give me directions to BestBuy", the system will say something like, "Here are your results for Best Buy."

I've tried the same steps as you with no success. I've also tried different phones and different USB cables.

This has been happening for about two weeks now. Occasionally, when I leave for work in the mornings, it'll actually work for me. I thought that maybe it had to do with the battery being fully charged, but that wasn't the case as I charged my battery before leaving work, and it didn't work. Then, I thought that it had to do plugging in the phone after I had turned the car on and the infotainment system was fully loaded, but that didn't seem to be the issue still.

I'm still troubleshooting different things, and would love to hear from anyone that solves this issue.
I have the exact same phone as you and the same issue as well. Everything was working fine until about two weeks ago also. It just stopped reading texts back. I am also unable to initiate the voice prompt to send. I've reinstalled android auto, and rebooted the infotainment system. Still no resolution.

PhotoVoltaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the same issue and then Verizon pushed an update. After several hours of messing around I found that the media volume control was turned all the way down. I turned it up and problem solved. Hit the up arrow on your volume control and you'll see a pull-down menu to the right on the pop up menu. Select media and turn it up and try again. This fixed my problem
Funny, I had it happen again, so my solution must not have been it, but this appears to have worked for me. Now that I think about it, I did turn my media volume up when I was messing with settings initially. Before, it didn't seem to matter what my media volume was set to, so I'm wondering if there was an update to the Android Auto, Google, or TTS app that changed this.

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Funny, I had it happen again, so my solution must not have been it, but this appears to have worked for me. Now that I think about it, I did turn my media volume up when I was messing with settings initially. Before, it didn't seem to matter what my media volume was set to, so I'm wondering if there was an update to the Android Auto, Google, or TTS app that changed this.

My Google Voice has been acting up for about a week. It will read text messages fine, but when I go to reply, the voice prompt cuts off and the system says "message". Do you want to send it, or change it? It's been,working great aunt this started. Note 5 from T Mobile, and a Touring, if that makes a difference.

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
My Google Voice has been acting up for about a week. It will read text messages fine, but when I go to reply, the voice prompt cuts off and the system says "message". Do you want to send it, or change it? It's been,working great aunt this started. Note 5 from T Mobile, and a Touring, if that makes a difference.

Sorry for the typos.

merrickville

Civic LX/All Round Tints
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Aegean Blue!
Country flag
This issue continues with me.

Sending Texts
Press Google Now voice button on steering wheel:
(beep) What's the message?
What's the message (pause) (beep) (I'm so nervous with this beep, either being before her prompt or after her prompt, when I speak?)
>>> Here's the message: (beep) sorry I didn't get that (I didn't even get a chance to talk)

Finally when I do get to say my message
>>> (beep) Here's the message: "a message" do you want to send it or change it? (Huh, I didn't say that)
>>> Here's the message: "eres the message" (Yes, it heard itself saying "Here's the message, and thinks that "I" said that" UGH!!!!!!!!

Reading Texts:
Here's the text (beep) <text read>
(beep) Here's the message: <text read>
(beep) quickly reverts back to previous screen.

Uninstalling Google Now updates makes it work again. Updates install, then it works for a week, then it's back to the above issue.

Happens on: Samsung Galaxy S5, LG-G5-H831, Google Nexus 6P, all the same issues as stated above.

Frustrating!
Sponsored