Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This issue continues with me.

Sending Texts
Press Google Now voice button on steering wheel:
(beep) What's the message?
What's the message (pause) (beep) (I'm so nervous with this beep, either being before her prompt or after her prompt, when I speak?)
>>> Here's the message: (beep) sorry I didn't get that (I didn't even get a chance to talk)

Finally when I do get to say my message
>>> (beep) Here's the message: "a message" do you want to send it or change it? (Huh, I didn't say that)
>>> Here's the message: "eres the message" (Yes, it heard itself saying "Here's the message, and thinks that "I" said that" UGH!!!!!!!!

Reading Texts:
Here's the text (beep) <text read>
(beep) Here's the message: <text read>
(beep) quickly reverts back to previous screen.

Uninstalling Google Now updates makes it work again. Updates install, then it works for a week, then it's back to the above issue.

Happens on: Samsung Galaxy S5, LG-G5-H831, Google Nexus 6P, all the same issues as stated above.

Frustrating!
Holy crap, I'm having this same issue! It used to work just fine, and then suddenly one day...... this. Any other voice commands work just fine, but texting has randomly become horribly frustrating and hardly useable. I'm guessing it must be a bug in Google Now or something, then. I'm on a LG G3 with Cyanogenmod 13 (Android 6).
Sponsored

merrickville

Civic LX/All Round Tints
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Aegean Blue!
Country flag
Holy crap, I'm having this same issue! It used to work just fine, and then suddenly one day...... this. Any other voice commands work just fine, but texting has randomly become horribly frustrating and hardly useable. I'm guessing it must be a bug in Google Now or something, then. I'm on a LG G3 with Cyanogenmod 13 (Android 6).
It's not the car head unit, it's Google Now, they really need to fix this.

Ffbooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dhfnui6
Just upgraded from an HTC One M8 to an S7 Edge last weekend. I never got the text features to work with the HTC, but everything is fully functional with the S7. I think the system is really picky with what phones are compatible with certain features, someone had posted a link that showed only like 5 phones were fully compatible with the system.
Why not try phone transfer ....

Shades6942

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX 2016
I got it to work by going to Settings-Security-More Security settings-Notifications Access-enable Android Auto (car mode). Hope this helps!
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto not talking back or reading text message Screenshot_20161112-174547
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto not talking back or reading text message Screenshot_20161112-174640

Hockeyman61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic , 2010 Honda Accord, 2005 Honda Accord Coupe, 2004 Buick PArk Ave Ultra
Hey guys, done about absolutley everything. A couple days ago i got a text and tapped it so the car can read. It faded the screen a little like always and got ready to read but then just stops and cancels reading the text, bring the screen back to full light.

Now that did it a little temporarily, then it worked again after a bit. But now it came back for a couple of days.

I do gps and the voice still comes on giving me guidance. However when I ask it a question or tell it to read a text, nothing happens. But when I ask it a question to send a text, it will look like its talking to me, then turns back to me to answer. But its as if its muted.

2016 civic ex t
Samsung g6

Things I did:
-Reboot dash
-rebooted phone
-unplugged cord
-diagnostic mode to see anything wrong
-disconnected battery to full reset dash
-Played with volume and settings in main menu

Please help
I had the same issue with the phone not playing Bluetooth/Android Auto. You all most likely have USB mini plugs on your phone/phones.
Mini has issues handling multiple data streams ie smaller wire less room. I switched to a USB C 2.0 plug on my new Nexus 5x unlocked phone with a data cable. These cables are larger that charging cables and handle alot more STUFF! Try it it might work :)

Last edited:

Hockeyman61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic , 2010 Honda Accord, 2005 Honda Accord Coupe, 2004 Buick PArk Ave Ultra
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2016 Civic EXT and my Nexus 6P. Android Auto had been working great, but recently it won't read texts, and there is no voice prompt when I try to send one. However, I've found that if you do through process as if it was doing the voice prompts, it will still send the text.

Strangely enough, if you ask for directions and say something general like, "Give me directions to BestBuy", the system will say something like, "Here are your results for Best Buy."

I've tried the same steps as you with no success. I've also tried different phones and different USB cables.

This has been happening for about two weeks now. Occasionally, when I leave for work in the mornings, it'll actually work for me. I thought that maybe it had to do with the battery being fully charged, but that wasn't the case as I charged my battery before leaving work, and it didn't work. Then, I thought that it had to do plugging in the phone after I had turned the car on and the infotainment system was fully loaded, but that didn't seem to be the issue still.

I'm still troubleshooting different things, and would love to hear from anyone that solves this issue.
If your phone has a Mini usb the data flow might be constricted. Try a heaver cable . Bigger wires more data. :coffee:

Hockeyman61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't tell if trolling or really that silly...
No trolling......I thought it was silly too. But I spoke with an IT guy at work about this issue (JnJ). And tried it.
I will post pictures if you want. :nixon:Charging cables are just that. 'Charging cables' Even switched to a USB C.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your phone has a Mini usb the data flow might be constricted. Try a heaver cable . Bigger wires more data. :coffee:
Hell ya man! BRB, gonna go run Cat 5 in my Civic to get extra speed.

Thicker than a Snicker!

Shades6942

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX 2016
Also try to uninstall the app and connect your phone to the car and it will install it again. From there go through all the steps in the initial setup and allow all the permissions.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I had issues with the recent update of android auto in phone mode. Had to disconnect and reconnect just for it to recognize.

I am using a Nexus phone so I really didn't have any issues, I wonder if other versions of Android will cause issues. Probably better posting your phone manufacture, android version as well.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
I got it to work by going to Settings-Security-More Security settings-Notifications Access-enable Android Auto (car mode). Hope this helps!
Screenshot_20161112-174547.png
Screenshot_20161112-174640.png
Going to try this out. On my phone, this was on Settings -> Sound & notification -> Notification access. Android Auto was enabled, Android Auto (car mode) was not.

Hockeyman61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to try this out. On my phone, this was on Settings -> Sound & notification -> Notification access. Android Auto was enabled, Android Auto (car mode) was not.
Not to be a smart ass but are you using the port next to your right knee? Behind the console?

Hockeyman61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No trolling......I thought it was silly too. But I spoke with an IT guy at work about this issue (JnJ). And tried it.
I will post pictures if you want. :nixon:Charging cables are just that. 'Charging cables' Even switched to a USB C.
Hell ya man! BRB, gonna go run Cat 5 in my Civic to get extra speed.

Thicker than a Snicker!
Using these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EFBYFA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010SG8OFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:headbang:

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
The gauge of the cable doesnt have as much to do with its ability to transmit data as you might think. Cable quality matters, but most "charge" cables are capable of transmitting data just fine. For what it's worth, every cable I have works the same way; Android Auto has been working great except for the software bug with message playback we're discussing here.

Not to be a smart ass but are you using the port next to your right knee? Behind the console?
Yes, I am.

I told Android Auto to "read my messages" and got back "Sorry, I didn't get that. Actually, I can't read text messages yet." Have to wait until someone messages me in Hangouts while I'm driving to see if the notification tap plays messages again.
Sponsored