Android Auto - Google Maps with Turn by Turn Navigation

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
You can just download offline maps in google maps and it’ll work even without data
I just got a phone that works with Android Auto & thought I’d play around with it.

If I’m on vacation in FL & driving between Orlando, Tampa, Ft Myers, & Naples, what is the best way to save a map?

Do I have to save each city separately along with whatever cities are in between? Or save the whole state of FL which I’m guessing would be quite a large file?
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I just got a phone that works with Android Auto & thought I’d play around with it.

If I’m on vacation in FL & driving between Orlando, Tampa, Ft Myers, & Naples, what is the best way to save a map?

Do I have to save each city separately along with whatever cities are in between? Or save the whole state of FL which I’m guessing would be quite a large file?
Your best bet is to save the whole general area. It's around 410MB for me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto - Google Maps with Turn by Turn Navigation Screenshot_20190603-231506

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks -

I got it working & have a question or two.

Your picture shows a long skinny map & mine is squarer by comparison. Is your phone that tall & thin or is there a way to crop the map size/shape?

I started playing with this while the car was in the driveway & it displayed recent Google map destinations. I selected my friend who was 50 miles off the map. I drove a mile or so & was curious how this was working. After some experimentation, turns out the smart phone was connected to my house wifi when the route was planned while in the car. It appears the phone/car will follow this route until I pull over & turn off the wifi. Not sure why that would make a difference at that point because there was no signal anyway.

Is there a way to save a route without saving a map? Sort of duplicating what happened above.

Any idea what determines the recent Google map destinations because Android Auto lists some different ones than the house PC? And when I re-connected the smart phone there were a couple restaurants listed on the Civic’s screen that previously did not show up anywhere.
Sponsored