Android auto connection issues

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
No, Android 11 doesn't add wireless Android Auto to headunits.

Android 11 bringing wireless Android Auto to all PHONES running Android 11, as long as those phones have 5 GHz wifi, which all but the very cheapest phones have. Before Android 11, only Samsung & Google Pixels worked with Android Auto.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/19/android-11-wireless-auto/

The only way to add wireless Android Auto to an existing head unit that doesn't have it is to add an AAWireless box, which is an indiegogo project that hasn't quite shipped out yet. I've ordered one though.
Well there's goes my hope of using Wireless AA when I get Android 11 on my S10 next month. :mad: I guess using my magnetic cable ain't too bad. All I gotta do is point the cable in the general direction of the phone's USB C port and they just snap together. And I don't have to worry about wearing out the phone's USB port.

Yeah I know about AAWireless. They use to make a AA Gateway app. I'm wondering if AA Gateway still works.
Sponsored

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Well there's goes my hope of using Wireless AA when I get Android 11 on my S10 next month. :mad:
Your S10 actually already works with wireless AA. All Samsung flagships since something like the S8 or S9 (I forget which) have had wireless AA for a while now. All Android 11 is doing is making it universal instead of exclusive to Samsung & Pixel. It's just the 10th gen Civic doesn't have wireless AA. Honda added it to the '21 Accord, and that same infotainment system is going to be in the 11th gen Civic.

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
Did you upgrade to Android 11 yet? I think it's available for the S20 now. Android 11 is suppose to bring wireless Android Auto to all Head Units with Wifi and I think it has to be 5Hz Wifi which I'm not sure if the Civic has.

If you can't get Wireless Android Auto to work, then yes, you'll need to keep it plug in to use AA. That's why the magnetic cable I use is so nice. They come on and off very easy. But you do have to be careful not to have a small metal piece stuck in the cord to short things out.
Honestly not sure which Android it's running. The phone updated twice right after turning it on. 1 of them I know was a Samsung update. The other one I'm not sure. My S9 was so trashed I was just excited to have a new phone and just kept hitting ok...lol. So if the Civic can't do wireless AA then I won't worry about it. The most important thing I would use is google maps if we are on a trip. Otherwise not a big deal. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone. I will have to get a new data cable in case I DO want to use it. The stupid new cables are USB C on both ends so it won't work with the car.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your S10 actually already works with wireless AA. All Samsung flagships since something like the S8 or S9 (I forget which) have had wireless AA for a while now. All Android 11 is doing is making it universal instead of exclusive to Samsung & Pixel. It's just the 10th gen Civic doesn't have wireless AA. Honda added it to the '21 Accord, and that same infotainment system is going to be in the 11th gen Civic.
I kinda knew my S10 already has WirelessAA because I think I saw Wireless Projection option in the setups. However, there're misinformation going around the web that seems to suggest Android 11 will bring WirelessAA to any head unit having 5Ghz Wifi. I guess now that you mentioned it and I re-read the announcement, it now sounds like it only brings Wireless to all phones with 5Ghz. Bummer!

I like to use AA to play music stored on my phone instead of on an USB Drive because the Honda Music app is so bad. I guess I'll need to keep using my magnetic cable until I upgrade my car.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honestly not sure which Android it's running. The phone updated twice right after turning it on. 1 of them I know was a Samsung update. The other one I'm not sure. My S9 was so trashed I was just excited to have a new phone and just kept hitting ok...lol. So if the Civic can't do wireless AA then I won't worry about it. The most important thing I would use is google maps if we are on a trip. Otherwise not a big deal. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone. I will have to get a new data cable in case I DO want to use it. The stupid new cables are USB C on both ends so it won't work with the car.
On my phone, I go to Setup->About Phone->Software Information to see which Android version is running.

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
On my phone, I go to Setup->About Phone->Software Information to see which Android version is running.
Android 11 it is

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
so I got it to work finally with a better Samsung cord. Donyou have to leave it plugged in the whole time to use android auto? if so I'll probably never use it
Plugging it in really isn't that big of a deal to me since I plug it in and just put my phone in the storage area next to the plug down below. I don't play with my phone while driving so I don't need access to it. That's the idea with AA is to have everything you need on the display so picking up your phone while driving isn't needed and therefore safer.

I already have one hand busy with shifting so I don't need to be screwing around with my phone.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Android Auto can't connect if you have dual apps activated on your phone. I had this problem fore quite some time until I found out that Android Auto won't work with dual apps.

cory13

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020
Country flag
That's happened several times to me and most of the times the cable isn't the issue. If it happens again in the future you might need to do a hard reset on the infotainment system

Mr. Honda

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic si sedan
Country flag
I use these magnetic cords. Very easy to connect and disconnect. The connection is easy to break loose so you do have to secure the phone while driving. I'm using a S10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y1NV5LY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can you plug this one directly in to the usb part in the car or do you have to have the AA adapter that came with the car? At least mine came with a generic otg cable but I have to plug another cable into it essentially using two cables

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you plug this one directly in to the usb part in the car or do you have to have the AA adapter that came with the car? At least mine came with a generic otg cable but I have to plug another cable into it essentially using two cables
The cable that came with the 2020 Si is an extension cable. Not a OTG cable. So yes, you can plug this into the extension or into the car's USB port directly. But I don't know why you would not want to use the extension. It's more convenient to plug into the extension I would think.

You do have to be careful when using this magnetic cable though. Specifically, you want to make sure there aren't any small metallic objects around the magnetic connectors. And it also charges rather slowly, but it gives just enough charge to slooooowly charge my Samsung S10 while using maps.

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Android Auto can't connect if you have dual apps activated on your phone. I had this problem fore quite some time until I found out that Android Auto won't work with dual apps.
What do you mean by dual apps activated, and how do you check?

Haven't been able to connect mine for about 3 weeks, swapped cables, deleted the AA cache, etc. Nothing helped.

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
If anybody is looking for a good Android Auto cable, this is what I use. It's a shorty USB-A to C cable with a right angle plug on the USB-C end. Android Auto works perfectly in both my Si and my wife's Kia Seltos. The right angle plug is perfect for saving space when sticking the phone in its little cubby sideways.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H95NY5Y/

Honda Civic 10th gen Android auto connection issues 511WWmVg9oL._AC_SL1500_

My AAWireless box just came in the mail the other day but I haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. Once I do I'll be able to use wireless Android Auto, plus charge it with a proper fast charger while doing wireless AA.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If anybody is looking for a good Android Auto cable, this is what I use. It's a shorty USB-A to C cable with a right angle plug on the USB-C end. Android Auto works perfectly in both my Si and my wife's Kia Seltos. The right angle plug is perfect for saving space when sticking the phone in its little cubby sideways.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H95NY5Y/

511WWmVg9oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My AAWireless box just came in the mail the other day but I haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. Once I do I'll be able to use wireless Android Auto, plus charge it with a proper fast charger while doing wireless AA.
Shorter cables are the way to go. I have a nice 18" braided USB-C cable with metal right angle connectors. Has worked like a charm with AA since I bought it in March 2020

Amazon - Ugreen USB-C cable

Honda Civic 10th gen Android auto connection issues 41W0qRbCz9L._AC_SY1000_
Sponsored