Amsoil Synchromesh vs. Motul Gear 300 LS 75W-90

Tothemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hi,

I've probably read every post on the MTF fluids between multiple forums. I've narrowed it down to Amosil Synchromesh & Motul Gear 300 LS. I'm leaning towards Motul because i feel everything from Europe is made with much higher standards. I've got the Motul engine oil on hand already and would like to replace my MTF when i change out to the SS clutch line. I haven't seen much info on the Motul MTF though, anyone have experience?

2017 Si Sedan w/ 12k Miles.
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Hi,

I've probably read every post on the MTF fluids between multiple forums. I've narrowed it down to Amosil Synchromesh & Motul Gear 300 LS. I'm leaning towards Motul because i feel everything from Europe is made with much higher standards. I've got the Motul engine oil on hand already and would like to replace my MTF when i change out to the SS clutch line. I haven't seen much info on the Motul MTF though, anyone have experience?

2017 Si Sedan w/ 12k Miles.
So, in the US you have to change the transmission oil every 12k miles?

OP
OP

Tothemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So, in the US you have to change the transmission oil every 12k miles?
No, i bought the car used. Not knowing the previous owners driving habits and maintenance in general, i prefer replacing all fluids. This way i know exactly when the next change should be.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
No, i bought the car used. Not knowing the previous owners driving habits and maintenance in general, i prefer replacing all fluids. This way i know exactly when the next change should be.
Ok, I see. Btw I think the official change period for MTF in the EU is 120.000 km = 74.000 miles. I think it's a bit much, but. Honda knows it better, at least I hope they do.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Amsoil is 5W-30, the Motul is 75W-90. The Honda OEM is 5W-30. Use the Amsoil would be my recommendation. I use Motul 8100 engine oil, but used Amsoil MTF because it replaces Honda OEM (says so on the bottle). Honda uses low viscosity MTF and I would be worried running such a dramatically different viscosity oil (as the Motul).

OP
OP

Tothemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The Amsoil is 5W-30, the Motul is 75W-90. The Honda OEM is 5W-30. Use the Amsoil would be my recommendation. I use Motul 8100 engine oil, but used Amsoil MTF because it replaces Honda OEM (says so on the bottle). Honda uses low viscosity MTF and I would be worried running such a dramatically different viscosity oil (as the Motul).
I understand what you're saying, but the oil grades aren't that different. SAE engine & SAE gear oil use different grading system. When comparing these grading systems, both oils fall roughly within the same spec, "roughly". I'll likely go with Amosil, because i have used it in the past and have experience with it. I was just curious about the Motul MTF because the Engine oil is so highly recommended for our engines.

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I understand what you're saying, but the oil grades aren't that different. SAE engine & SAE gear oil use different grading system. When comparing these grading systems, both oils fall roughly within the same spec, "roughly". I'll likely go with Amosil, because i have used it in the past and have experience with it. I was just curious about the Motul MTF because the Engine oil is so highly recommended for our engines.
What did you end up getting? I bought some motul 300ls for my 18si, temp dropped to 30s F last night, and the gear box felt weird this morning when I drove it, it was hard to get into 1st and 2nd, but everything was fine when it’s warmed up. The reason I bought motul is because I read 27won’s blog and motul is available on amazon,(AMSOIL could be only purchased through their wevisite) anyway, Im gonna switch to AMSOIL mtf

OP
OP

Tothemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What did you end up getting? I bought some motul 300ls for my 18si, temp dropped to 30s F last night, and the gear box felt weird this morning when I drove it, it was hard to get into 1st and 2nd, but everything was fine when it’s warmed up. The reason I bought motul is because I read 27won’s blog and motul is available on amazon,(AMSOIL could be only purchased through their wevisite) anyway, Im gonna switch to AMSOIL mtf
I went Amsoil for the MTF, Motul for the engine oil. Amsoil mad a HUGE difference, everything is smooth and i can finally go into reverse without having to go into a forward gear first...

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm in the same boat boat as the OP, just picked up an '18 SI and was looking to change fluids so I have a fresh starting point. I was going over the Amsoil information on their website and found this under the applications section:

"Replaces Honda* Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco* MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications."

I would hope they're referring to viscous LSDs and not mechanical. I would like to run this MTF, but not if I'll have an issue down the road, no pun intended.