Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Well I hit 25k miles so I got impatient and changed my mtf a tad bit early and thought I’d see what all the hype was about. I can literally tell zero difference. Still the clunk into 2nd and 4th. No noticeable difference on cold start or after 45 minutes of driving when everything has fully warmed up
Sponsored

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
Well I hit 25k miles so I got impatient and changed my mtf a tad bit early and thought I’d see what all the hype was about. I can literally tell zero difference. Still the clunk into 2nd and 4th. No noticeable difference on cold start or after 45 minutes of driving when everything has fully warmed up
The clunk is in your shifter assembly not the transmission.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Can you expand on that? When it comes to the many Amsoil MTF discussions, many people have addressed exactly what the OP referred to in that it helped the 1st to 2nd clunky shift. Since day one I've had that type of shift in my car but I haven't switched over yet so I can't speak to it.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
I've run amsoil mtf for the past 18k and it's really not all that, gonna swap it out with GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier. Also it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Acuity Parts to help the overall shifter feel.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I’m a year on Amsoil Syncromesh. Still feels pretty good, lasts much longer than Honda MTF for smoothness. I may also try GM Syncromesh, I’ve had good experience with it in the past.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Give it some miles. 25k isn’t too early. I’d say 15k is appropriate change interval unless you are never pushing the car.

OP
OP

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Give it some miles. 25k isn’t too early. I’d say 15k is appropriate change interval unless you are never pushing the car.
It says every 30k to change mtf. I figure 25k is about right if you’re tuned and have mods

HammerSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
My mechanic has been doing Nissan and Honda's for years. I fell for the Amsoil hype as well. He swears by OEM tranny fluid and Royal Purple motor oil for tuned cars.

Steveland15

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R
Country flag
I've run amsoil mtf for the past 18k and it's really not all that, gonna swap it out with GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier. Also it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Acuity Parts to help the overall shifter feel.
Is that the AC Delco stuff? "only for the NV transmission" stuff?

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Can you expand on that? When it comes to the many Amsoil MTF discussions, many people have addressed exactly what the OP referred to in that it helped the 1st to 2nd clunky shift. Since day one I've had that type of shift in my car but I haven't switched over yet so I can't speak to it.
There is a loud click/clunk in the even gears due to the design of the gear change bushing on your stock shifter assembly.

The Acuity shifter assembly alleviates this somewhat due to a relocation of this bushing.

Acuity and Perrin also have workarounds to help reduce this noise. Acuity has a video showing how to secure the bushing down on the stock shifter assembly. It's worth doing if you're tearing up your dash to install their shifter upgrades. Perrin has a clamp that you can install to hold down this bushing on the stock shifter also.

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I just switched to Redline MTL. Gear changes are definitely smoother.... still trying to figure out the LSD effect, if any.

Now I know this is Redline's webpage, but they say, "Popular replacement for and improvement over GM Synchromesh" - https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

Just another good option... I'd bet the GM stuff is a noticeable improvement too.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I wouldn't say the Amsoil MTF is that much better if at all honestly. I ran the stock and the Amsoil for about 22k miles (every 2 oil changes is when I do the MTF). I just went back to the stock Honda stuff because it was perfectly fine before and it was much cheaper.

I can't tell much difference and I do shift hard quite often (I autocross a lot)
Sponsored